changing ur name?

Halloween Harry

As far as I know, you don't have to do it. It's a personal choice.

People like to do it to help them settle into their new identity & way of life.

Jihan

Do you mean a revert changing their name or a muslim changing their name with thought of trying to fit in with American/non-muslim society. Former is accepted because they are doing to be known as muslims and have good intention. The latter on the other hand doesn't fit into islam, because they are trying to please someone other than Allah(swt) and are trying to part of a nonmuslim people. is this what you were asking about?

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

here is my take on reverts changing their names. it is not necessary unless the name or last name of the individual is blasphemous or boastful or proud. for example, no muslim should have the last name abdul-muhammad, abdul-ibrahim etc. if your name is pagan in origin it would be necessary to change that name, names such as minerva, odin names which were in honor of pagan gods. if i am correct the prophet pbuh recommened that we keep oye father's surnames if possible. as long as that surname wan't blasphemous or boastful. i think it is wonderful to adopt an islamic name, especially in these trying times when being muslim isn't easy. it identifies you as a muslim, as a brother, and distinguishes you from the unbelievers. it is important for all muslims not to bother other muslims that choose to keep their natural names, if their names aren't problematic to islam.

:wasalam:

AbuKhalid

If u r born Muslim and grew up in a muslim family, then you should not change the name your parents gave u as it is disrespect towards them. The exception is if the name you were given has a bad meaning or something that doesnt reflect good.

Same aplies for someone who reverts to islam. Unless the name is bad, no need to change it.

It is not known from the Sahaba that they chnaged their names when they embraced Islam. They were still called so and so, son of so and so during the time of jaahiliya and still continued to be called similarly after ... with the exception of some whom the prophet pbuh told to chnage due to its bad meaning.

One who reverts may add an arabic name for example someone may be called Bilal Philips or McDowell Aboo Zaynab Tawfeeq Ibn Hosley or Aboo Tasneem Daawood Adeeb Moosaa Richardson, all are actual names of students of knowledge, who reverted and studied at Madeena Universit.

There are already fataawa concerning this, by major scholars ... just a matter of finding them inshaAllah

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Actually brother Abu Khalid, some Sahabi did change their name. :SMILY149: Like one of the Sahabi's name was "The King of Kings" and then he changed his name into something that's more into the Sunnah, a name that's good like "The Ilm (knowledge) seeker" or "Allah's servant".

Our Nabi (SAW) didn't make it compulsory that you have to change your name. It's Sunnah if you make your name to be Islimaic like Adul Quddus means "Servant of the Holy one."