Check what you buy!

Riyadhus

:salam2:

I am not sure if anyone has started this thread about haraam products.We take for granted when we buy certain things so hopefully this thread will inform others about products that might not be halal. Only yesterday I realised that my Palmolive bodywash has gelatin in it! I've been slathering pig fats all over me for awhile now! Oh no..

Anyway, not only shampoo, bodywash- Please do check yoghurts (might have gelatin in some), salads packets (might have bacon bits), fries (might have beer in it) etc. I can't think of anymore. InsyaAllah will add if I can remember.

If anyone knows of such products, please add on!

:wasalam:

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2: good reminder.... i never thought of body wash! i know that skittles candy that i used to buy for the kids has gelatin in it :astag: also, marshmallows (unless you find the halal ones in halal store)..... many mousse type desserts have gelatin in them also..... avoid lecithin unless it is soy lecithin (as this contains blood, i believe)..... liquorice allsorts contain gelatin.... of course, most gummy candy has gelatin... gummy bears, etc. some mustard is made with white wine (check dijon mustard, for example)..... didn't realize until it was too late here in france that "pain au raisin" like a raisin danish pastry has rum in it.... napoleons or mille feuilles can have alcohol in them too (and possible animal lard and not just butter) .... now that we can, we buy pastries from a halal bakery.....
we really need to check all ingredients before buying as some might surprise us!
:wasalam:

Riyadhus

Asalamualaikum,

Ok to add on- Just remembered!

Anything to do with soap - Handwash, face wash, dishwashing liquid etc.

For food- Cheesecakes (usually there's gelatin), chocolate cakes (might have alcohol,animal fats), ice cream (emulsifier/gelatin/alcohol), seafood (some cooked seafood might have alcohol in it like mussels, sometimes, oysters are cooked with bacon in it, fish and chips-ask the restaurant what oil they use because here, some use animal fat)

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
All good points brother, i always check for gelatin ... but i would like to remind some products have K-gelatin and according to my research thats K-gelatin is made by jews and its halal cuz they make gelatin from veges or fish nothing haram. Just to let ppl out there cuz i didn't know that

Riyadhus

Salaam,

I am not sure about doritos but read the ingredients! But I am pretty sure that it is just corn chips.. Then again, you can never be too sure..

Wasalam

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

I think we need to remember that Islam is a religion of Ease. Alcohol is not permissible to ingest (specifically alochol from fermentation or grains there are many alcohols used as solvents that do not inebriate) but we can use it for physical purposes such as perfume or sterilization. In order for alcohol to be haram it has to be an intoxicant.
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/1365/alcohol%20perfume

As far as geletin goes, not all geletin comes from pigs, now a lot of geletin is cow product. As someone pointed out you can insure your yogurt is not made of pork geletin by checking for the K.

Lecithin is a much needed supplement in our diet. It aids with the myelination of nerves and many other biological functions. It is not a blood product.
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/1938/lecithin

Wasalaam

~Sarah

hassana elkoussi

Salaam,

I think we need to remember that Islam is a religion of Ease. Alcohol is not permissible to ingest (specifically alochol from fermentation or grains there are many alcohols used as solvents that do not inebriate) but we can use it for physical purposes such as perfume or sterilization. In order for alcohol to be haram it has to be an intoxicant.
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/1365/alcohol%20perfume

Wasalaam

~Sarah

As-salamu alaikom dear sister, I do agree that Islam is a religion of ease, so alcohol is allowed only when it is necessary. Scholars of fiqh agreed on the fact that alcohol is "najas"- I don't know what this is called in English( filth- not clean- impure ???)- hope you got the point. So it doesn't have to be an intoxicant to be haram. Even the article you referred to in " Islam Q & A " states that if the (perfume) has a low percentage of alcohol, then you needn't worry, but if it has a high percentage, then IT IS BETTER TO AVOID IT unless it is used for sterilization purposes and the like. Pigs are also najas & that's why we're trying to avoid having gelatin made of their fats in any of the products we use ( soap for instance, even though it's not edible).Just wanted to make this clear. Gazak Allah khair and Salam .

Riyadhus

Salaam,

Another thing I almost forgot- when you get pills like Vitamin E, Glucosamine etc, it comes in a jelly-like capsule which according to the pharmacist, it is made of gelatine. Try getting the vegetarian capsules or tablets. But usually it is difficult to get vitamin E in tablets or vegetarian capsules..

Wasalam