Chemistry

As-salama alaikom, I am new to this community so greetings to everyone. I know this place for the most part, we talk about Faith but my concerns at the moment are about Science. I am an student studying. I take this chemistry class and they talk about chemical equations and reactions. what surprises me is that, although I am good at solving equations, I do not really know these reacting elements in real life and how to go about finding them. I'll take potassium as an example, how does it look like? how to make it? is it an element that is found in nature? if someone can help me with this, I'll be glad

tdm

Pottasium is an element, a highly reactive metal that looks grey in color. One have to keep it in the parafin oil due to its reactivity.

You can not really make it. It was made by Allah swt. By studying science or chemistry, you should admire the greatness of Allah, the greatest creator of the universe!

All the best... may Allah guide you...:SMILY346:

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
Walaikum as salam wa rahmatullahi wabrakatuhu
Well if you can get a book on MECHANISMS OF CHEMICAL REACTIONS.That will answer all your queries Insha Allah Taala.

Jihan

all the elements are natural, except some among the last row of the larger piece. these are a man-made,and some of them only existed for a short while,so you won't find them anywhere. even more among the last row there are either blank spaces or numbers those have not been discovered ( but they say they know they exist, because of pattern).But you can find other elements though for instance calcium is in milk. there's metals like gold,silver,copper that are very common to us except most of the time there not in there pure form. Take gold for example you never see people with a ring of pure gold if they did be too soft to wear, beacause gold is bendable. potasium can be found in banana and other foods. aluminum,there are aluminum foil or soda cans. sometimes you can see these in their natural forms in science classes( except i don't thing you'll find the highly radio active ones.. but you never know).To get a good understanding of the table of elements its really nice to use color coded ones. I'm not a pro at chemistry. so go to www.corrosionsource.com/handbook/periodic/ to get a better pic of the table of elements.

Proud2BeHumble

Seek Truth, Be Happy
Look at these simple example: when you add common salt (Nacl) in water (H2O) or sugar to water, chemical reactions takes place. It is rather simple, if you have clear knowledge of basics.

You can refer to following links to clear your concepts.

http://www.chem4kids.com/files/matter_intro.html

http://www.chem4kids.com/files/atom_intro.html

http://www.chem4kids.com/files/elem_intro.html

http://www.chem4kids.com/files/elements/index.html

http://www.chem4kids.com/files/react_intro.html

NOTE: There are lot of pages linked to above pages. So dont forget to click "NEXT STOP ON SITE TOUR" Button, given at the bottom of page (blue colour)

So science is quran

Well, Quran is not a book of Science, but a book of SIGNS (of Allah)

However, whatever is said in Quran has been found compatible with the modern science.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Potassium%20feldspar.jpg

This is potassium in feldspar.

And following if pure one:

19_K_3.jpg

19_K_1.jpg

amyaishazouaoui

super chemist saves the day

:salam2:

I am a chemist, so please ask away, i will try and answer anything inshallah. Im also traning to be a science teacher.

To start off with, potassium has the chemical symbol K, dont ask me why!!! It is a grey metal, it is highly reactive in water and air, thats why they keep it under il. It does not occur naturally as a metal on its own because it is so reactive. It exists mainly as salts, like potassium chloride etc. It is produced by electrolysis, a method of separating highly reactive elements out o their compounds. Electrolysis involves having two electrodes in a solution and passing an electrical current though. The +ve ion will go towards the -ve electrode and vice versa. This is done on an industrial scale.

any more questions???????

:wasalam:

a

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Subhannallah sister Amy.
I am pleased to know how knowledgeable you are, but more importantly, I was really sad when you posted some weeks ago and showed your disgust about something that I still dont know.
As far as I can remember, you seemed very upset with someone from this site and didnt want to stay here any longer which really made me sad.
I am so pleased to find you back here sister. It proves that your heart can't be separated from your real brothers and sisters in Islam.

May allah grant you and all other sisters and brothers happiness in both worlds

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member

I am a chemist, so please ask away, i will try and answer anything inshallah. Im also traning to be a science teacher.

Wa Alaykum Assalam

welcome sister..How to be a sicence teacher..:)

i think every chemist would like Laboratory tests,organo synthesis..
Analysis spectroscopic..but i don't think chemist would like be a Teacher..
may be would like to be a prof, some day..any way if u wanna be a teacher why u didn't study in College of Education Department of Chemistry ..not faculty of science..

sister chemist as Fish in water if left 'll be die ..
our sea is Laboratory if we left 'll be die (unuseful)..

any way...forgive me ur post intersted me !!! :)

<wasalam>

amyaishazouaoui

Wa Alaykum Assalam

welcome sister..How to be a sicence teacher..:)

i think every chemist would like Laboratory tests,organo synthesis..
Analysis spectroscopic..but i don't think chemist would like be a Teacher..
may be would like to be a prof, some day..any way if u wanna be a teacher why u didn't study in College of Education Department of Chemistry ..not faculty of science..

sister chemist as Fish in water if left 'll be die ..
our sea is Laboratory if we left 'll be die (unuseful)..

any way...forgive me ur post intersted me !!! :)

<wasalam>

Teaching goes quite nicley with kids, school holidays and all that. I did a year of research and it was wors than watching paint dry, its was so dull and borning and drove me round the bend. Children are entertaining!!!!!!!

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member

Teaching goes quite nicley with kids, school holidays and all that. I did a year of research and it was wors than watching paint dry, its was so dull and borning and drove me round the bend. Children are entertaining!!!!!!!

Wa Alaykum Assalam

yeah i'm Agree with u ...:)

n the better..looking after Children it the best n the More better 4 woman stay in her House....:)

<wasalam>

Ibn_Syena

Peace...

To start off with, potassium has the chemical symbol K, dont ask me why!!! It

As Salamu Alekum Dear brothers and sisters

Actually I know why it has the chemical symbol K, It's because of its latin name "Kalium", It's also stated in Wikipedia that it's after the arabic name "al qalija", although never heared about before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium
Also in medicine, to indicate the rise or decline of potassium levels in blood, the terms Hyper-/hypokalemia are used.

Similarly, the symbol "Na" is used for sodium for its latin name "Natrium". Hypo-/hypernatremia are used too.

But the impressive fact is about that element; "Germanium". That, As its name may indicate, It was named after Germany, by his country-exalter, scientest Clemens Winkler.

Well, Hope you'll discover one day, dear sister, one of those missing elements, and then you can name it "Islamium" or something :)

Wish this was helpful

Wasalamo Alekum Warhmatu Allah