Cherubs

dianek

Can someone advise as to what the issue against cherub or angelic pictures are? My husband breaks anything that I have with them. Before marrying him I had a huge collection of Cherub items and now have only one but was forced to put it away out of sight. Why?

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
Can someone advise as to what the issue against cherub or angelic pictures are? My husband breaks anything that I have with them. Before marrying him I had a huge collection of Cherub items and now have only one but was forced to put it away out of sight. Why?

He breaks them? Thats a bit extreme. I'm not sure of the exact reason but I think it may have something to do with fact that you guys have two diffrent beliefs. Maybe? Maybe not. Even though I'm a muslim I'm looking forward to finding a reasonable answer to this as well.

buraq

asalam-o-alikum,,,,

1st they are from greek gods the goddes of love sent them down to shoot arrows at people to fall in love,

2nd you carnt keep them and your husband probley gets so cross because you comiting shirk, you are beliving in something other then Allah,

i,m not saying you personaly,

Allah haffiz
sumayya

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

It is written that the Prophet (swas) came home and one of his wives had a curtain with a design on it. He tore it down. The Prophet (swas) was an ernest man and wanted simplicity for the Love of Allah.
Muslims usually decorate their homes with Islamic calligraphy and keep it very simple.
It is nothing against you. Part of belief is not to imitate that which we have no knowledge of. We start to have feelings for that which we know not. It is simply a way to remain pure. We are discouraged to watch tv. It conjures up feelings that we need to refrain from.
Your husband is following this tradition.
Cherubs are Christian symbols of a specific chubby naked baby angel. We have no knowledge of what angels look like. We have references in the Quran but are implicty told not to make replicas.
I wish you the best in the decisions you make and respect you for taking the time to learn about the daily life of Muslims. Please continue to ask and InshaAllah you will learn and appreicate Islam.

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2: my bros and sisses

There may be basically two reasons why I would think this reaction would be brought about.

1) Think about it this way, do you or anyone really know what an angel looks like? It's almost impossible to imagine. some aspects were told in the Qur'aan, but as to their entire being, we have no idea. Therefore, is it not a bit disrespectful to draw them especially? Since we KNOW we cannot get them absolutely right, and there are going to be wrong aspects of the picture???

We believe Angels are a part of the unseen. Which we have no knowledge of, therefore we should only take things we know if them as it is, and not make interpretations or guesses afterwards. It's like ... if you wanted to have a picture painted of yourself, would it be sufficient for you to call the painter up and say, "Yes, i'm 6 feet tall, brown hair, purple eyes, and like cats... please paint a picture of me!" ... would it? The painter doesnt really know who you are, therefore while drawing he would have to make guesses, add ons, changes, therefore... it's not YOU anymore is it? It's the painters creation simply on your description which is vague.

Also, if you think about it... if he painted such a picture and you came back to it, and it didn't look like you, would you be overjoyed or offended???

Offended most likely no? "WHAT? I dont look like that, that's twenty pounds heavier... where did those wrinkles come from, that nose is not mine!"

If you would be offended, as a mere human, think of some of the greatest subserviants to Allah... to God... ???

IS THAT NOT A GREATER OFFENSE??!

I think it is. Anyways, i have a second point, but no time... sorry... i hope you get better answers.

bye