chewing qat

warda A

Sister
:salam2:

I would like my fellow brother and sisters to give me any information on whether chewing qat is haram or makrooh or oh i dont know!.
As most people probably know, it is a past time in yemen.
To me it is a waste of time and resources ( i think it is addictive) but however much you try to explain nobody wants to know because it is big business here, furthermore it is consumed by the upper echleons to the lowest echleons. ( i do not mean class, nothing like that is in islam)
How are we going to stop that especially here in Yemen(in the gulf states it is forbidden).
jazakallahu kheiran
:tti_sister:

palestine

Servant of Allah
i've heard that it is haram. just like smoking it damages the body. your teeth your lungs. and anything that is harmful to the body is haram. i don't have the verse of quran or hadeeth at this moment but inshallah someone else can post it for you. one of my uncles eats it and boy did it change him. he began way too thin and he hadn't read or touched the quran for 23 years because he was too busy eating it and going to places with that harmful stuff. and he was also placed in jail for it. so there is no benefit to it. and i've heard from many shaykhs that is is HARAM. wallahu a'lam. anything good i said is from allah and anything bad i've said is from the evil with in me and i seek refuge in allah from it. salam. sis warda.

ShyHijabi

SALAMU ALEKUM,

I AM ASKING IF QAT IS HARAM? I WOULD THINK IT IS BECAUSE IT ALTERS THE BODY AND BRAIN. MY FIANCE USES IT AND I AM CURIOUS PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME THE WAY IN WHICH IT WOULD BE OR WOULDN'T BE HARAM OR MAKROOH. THANKS.
Answer Wa Alaikum Salaam wa Rahmatullah,

Qat is a drug that has some intoxicating effect. I believe that it should be avoided becasue the Prophet (SAAWS) said, "Every intoxcant is forbidden." But it looks that because of its prevalence (umum al-balwa) some scholars in Yemen have not considered it haram, but it is certainly makruh and it should be avoided.

http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa/english/Browse.asp?hGuestID=4NZyF9

Wasalaam

~Sarah

warda A

Sister
i've heard that it is haram. just like smoking it damages the body. your teeth your lungs. and anything that is harmful to the body is haram. i don't have the verse of quran or hadeeth at this moment but inshallah someone else can post it for you. one of my uncles eats it and boy did it change him. he began way too thin and he hadn't read or touched the quran for 23 years because he was too busy eating it and going to places with that harmful stuff. and he was also placed in jail for it. so there is no benefit to it. and i've heard from many shaykhs that is is HARAM. wallahu a'lam. anything good i said is from allah and anything bad i've said is from the evil with in me and i seek refuge in allah from it. salam. sis warda.

am so sorry to hear about your relative, may he be guided inshalla and us too.
jazakallahu kheiran
:wasalam:

whitehijab

i've heard about it too from my friend who is staying there. but never read from any books about the qat mentioned itself. i hv the pictures about people chewing it, my friend posts it to me. its sad though too see the picts coz most of them is old either man or woman.
may Allah protect us insyaAllah...

:muslim_child:

salahdin

khat

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Asalama aleikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakat.KHAT is haram thats is my own opinion and i have seen people chewing it. its the fluid that comes from it that people swallow it in that process, you start imagining things . in islam anything that changes the state of your mind is haram and it includes khat .the second thing most people who chew khat dont pray, all they are busy chewing and talking. and you thing they talk about islam oh no, they dont talk good things , and this becomes everyday thing . I dont know in yemen but in east africa, especially the horn of africa. its so, every penny their earn goes to khat and ciggarates. Those people who stay up whole night just sitting and taking and chewing this stuff are not a good exemple to follow , so judge it your self if its haram or not . many poeople who chew it dont admit that its haram the ONLY excuse your get from them or the answer your get from them is " it is not written in the holy QURAN" BUT PEOPLE SHOULD USE THEIR BRAIN , WHAT EVER CHANGES THE STATE OF YOUR MIND IS HARAMand thats includes khat.

Al-Ma'idah 5:91 Shaytan (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah and from As-Salât (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?"
Muslims interpret these verses in total to forbid any intoxicating substance -- whether it be wine, beer, gin, whiskey, or whatever. The result is the same, and the Qur'an outlines that it is the intoxication, which makes one forgetful of God and prayer, which is harmful. Over the years, the list of intoxicating substances has come to include more modern street drugs and the like.

Surah Ghafir

39. "O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the Hereafter that is the home that will remain forever."

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

Its a massive problem among Somalis as well, people really don't understand the effects it has on people.

Wasalam