Children Leading Prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durriyyah

Forever Student
:salam2:

I'm curious if there is any hadiths about children leading prayer. I have been having my 7 year old daughter leading the Sunnah prayers (I lead all the obligatory prayers) so she can learn how to do them properly. She has learned how to do the whole prayer now by herself and is now working on perfecting things and moving some things from English to Arabic. It also helps her feel included and she gets a huge feeling of accomplishment when she masters an area in prayer. Any comments or hadiths?

:wasalam:

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
It is great that you want your duaghter to be a great Muslimah sister, and it is good to let your duaghter recite the Surahs and Takbeers and everything aloud so you can correct her and she can learn better. That's the way I learned Salat. :wink:

MuslimGirl71194

Mashallah, I think its perfectly fine that you are letting your daughter lead prayers as it is a great way to lead her in the path of Islam, Inshallah. I dont think anything restricts it. :)

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
AssalaamuAlaikum,

It is not allowed for the women to lead prayer (Imamat). You are teaching her a thing which is very dangerous for her mindset.

You can fairly ask her to recite louder in prayer, but please dont ask her to do Imamat. It is the recent fitnah in different parts of the world in which some women are doing Imamat and the men and women offer prayer behined them standing shoulder to shoulder (Women between men and men between women).

Wassalaaam,
VE

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
It is great that you want your duaghter to be a great Muslimah sister, and it is good to let your duaghter recite the Surahs and Takbeers and everything aloud so you can correct her and she can learn better. That's the way I learned Salat. :wink:

AssalaaamuAlaikum,

Here comes a 12 year old mufti , :)

Brother, its not allowed in Islam for the women to do Imamat in the prayer. The daugher can be asked to recite louder so that she can be corrected in the process of learning, but cant be asked to lead prayer.

Yet there is not lead in Sunnah prayers except for the prayers of 'traweeh' in the month of Ramadhaan.

Wasslaaam,
VE

Durriyyah

Forever Student
AssalaamuAlaikum,

It is not allowed for the women to lead prayer (Imamat). You are teaching her a thing which is very dangerous for her mindset.

You can fairly ask her to recite louder in prayer, but please dont ask her to do Imamat. It is the recent fitnah in different parts of the world in which some women are doing Imamat and the men and women offer prayer behined them standing shoulder to shoulder (Women between men and men between women).

Wassalaaam,
VE

I am a single mother so the only option for a leader is a woman (me). And what about when it is a group of sisters? Someone has to lead, so I don't think it is bad to teach her how to lead because there really are many instances where she may need to do so.

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Assalam Alaykum

Dear All,

It is OK for a boy who understands the prayer to lead others in prayer, because the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “People should be led in prayer by the one who knows the most Qur’aan among them.”
(Narrated by Muslim, al-Masaajid wa Mawaadi’ al-Salaah, 1078).

And it was narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari that ‘Amr ibn Salamah al-Jarami said: “My father came from the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said that he had heard the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, ‘When the time for prayer comes, let the one among you who knows the most Qur’aan lead you in prayer.’ They looked and they did not find anyone who knew more Qur’aan than me, so they made me lead them in prayer, and I was a boy of six or seven years.”
(al-Maghaazi, 3963. See Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 7/389-390)

The evidence to be found in the hadeeth is that these Sahaabah asked ‘Amr ibn Salamah to lead them in prayer when he was six or seven years old. This indicates that a boy who has reached the age of discernment can lead the prayers. If that were not permitted, there would have been Revelation to say that it was not allowed.
(Ahkaam al-Imaamah wa’l-I’timaam fi’l-Salaah by ‘Abd al-Muhsin al-Muneef).

If your son fulfils all the conditions and obligations of the prayer, then there is nothing wrong with him leading you.

<wasalam>

virtualeye

Tamed Brother

I am a single mother so the only option for a leader is a woman (me). And what about when it is a group of sisters? Someone has to lead, so I don't think it is bad to teach her how to lead because there really are many instances where she may need to do so.

When there are sisters only then in that case also no women can do Imamat. It is in fact an assumption that if there is no Male Imam then one woman will be Imama, its not true.

As it had been discussed already in some previous thread (maybe that was also posted by you), that it is just to teach the child how to pray. So in that case, instead of putting your child at your back, you should maker her stand at your right side and recite loud to teach her. But asking her to lead is not good. If your child is a boy then he can lead or you can just make him stand at your right side and you can recite loud.

I think Brother Islamicfajr did not see that you refered about your daughter not your son.

Wasslaaam,
VE

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member

Wa Alaykum Assalam

It is permissible for women to pray in congregation among themselves. Their leader should stand in the middle of the row according to the narration regarding Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) which indicates that she used to lead women in prayer and would stand with them in the middle of the row. This has been narrated by ‘Abdur Razzaq in Al-Musannaf 3/141 and Daraqutni 1/404, and is authentic due to evidences for it.

Similarly Umm Al-Hasan narrated that she saw Umm Salmah (may Allaah be pleased with her) leading women in prayer while she stood in the middle of their row. This has been narrated by Ibn Abee Shaybah 2/88 and is also authentic due to other supporting evidences.

Ibn Qudamah has quoted the difference of opinion on whether congregation for women is recommended, and then says about their leader: “The one who leads them should stand in the middle of the row. We do not know of a difference of opinion on this among those who support that one women may lead others in congregation. Since it is recommended for the women to be covered, ….. standing in the middle of the row makes it a better covering for her from the sides.”(Al-Mughni, 2/202)

The author of Al-Muhadhdhab (4/295) says: “It is sunnah that the leader of women in congregation stand in the middle of them as narrated about ‘Aa’ishah and Umm Salmah that they lead women and stood in the middle of their row.”

For further details refer to Jaami‘ Ahkaam Al-Nisaa’ by Al-‘Adawi (1/351).

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
I think Brother Islamicfajr did not see that you refered about your daughter not your son.

wa Alaykum Assalam

No.. i see hahhha..but i put fatwa as it's..her son or daughter in same case..
because of It is permissible for women to lead others in prayer

<wasalam>

Durriyyah

Forever Student
Wa Alaykum Assalam

It is permissible for women to pray in congregation among themselves. Their leader should stand in the middle of the row according to the narration regarding Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) which indicates that she used to lead women in prayer and would stand with them in the middle of the row. This has been narrated by ‘Abdur Razzaq in Al-Musannaf 3/141 and Daraqutni 1/404, and is authentic due to evidences for it.

Similarly Umm Al-Hasan narrated that she saw Umm Salmah (may Allaah be pleased with her) leading women in prayer while she stood in the middle of their row. This has been narrated by Ibn Abee Shaybah 2/88 and is also authentic due to other supporting evidences.

Ibn Qudamah has quoted the difference of opinion on whether congregation for women is recommended, and then says about their leader: “The one who leads them should stand in the middle of the row. We do not know of a difference of opinion on this among those who support that one women may lead others in congregation. Since it is recommended for the women to be covered, ….. standing in the middle of the row makes it a better covering for her from the sides.”(Al-Mughni, 2/202)

The author of Al-Muhadhdhab (4/295) says: “It is sunnah that the leader of women in congregation stand in the middle of them as narrated about ‘Aa’ishah and Umm Salmah that they lead women and stood in the middle of their row.”

What about if there is only two women? Is there a ruling of where the leader should stand? Currently she stands to the left of me and a couple inches back, even when she is leading. Again, these are the extra prayers, I do all the obligatory prayers leading myself.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
AssalaamuAlaikum,

Allah knows the best and I know very little.

Got the evidence of leading while standing in the middle of the row.Right. But no evidence of leading while standing ahead.

Secondly, No evidence of women leading men. right?

In summary:

1- Women can lead women while standing in the middle of the row.
2- Women can NOT lead men+women wether they stand in middle or ahead.
3- Women can lead their daughther (who is also a woman indeed) by standing besides them.
4- Women can NOT lead son (who is also a man indeed) by standing besides or ahead.
5- the point number 4 only relaxes to stand besides the son IF he is learning the prayer and does not know the prayer correctly. (well, the son should learn prayer in a month or two in this case. Ofcourse the son will not keep standing behind her monther for ages).

Experts comments such as brother 'Islamicfajr's' comments are welcomed.

May Allah forgive me if I gave wrong opinion. Infact What I refered is through my learning in the past and I dont have immediate references to cite, sorry.

Allah Knows the BEST.

Wasslaaam,
VE

Wa Alaykum Assalam

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
What about if there is only two women? Is there a ruling of where the leader should stand? Currently she stands to the left of me and a couple inches back, even when she is leading. Again, these are the extra prayers, I do all the obligatory prayers leading myself.

Prayer in congregation may be held with two people, an imam and a follower

two people are enough to pray in congregation, whether that is in the house or elsewhere.

Imam al-Bukhaari (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Chapter: Two or more form a congregation (jamaa’ah).” Then he narrated the hadeeth of Maalik ibn al-Huwayrith (may Allaah be pleased with him), that the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the time for prayer comes, give the adhaan and iqaamah then let the oldest of you two lead you in prayer.” (al-Bukhaari, 658).

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Chapter: Two or more form a congregation”: this heading was narrated in a hadeeth which was narrated via weak isnaads, which said that the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw a man praying by himself and said: “Will not a man perform an act of charity for him and pray with him?” So a man stood up and prayed with him, and he said: “These two are a congregation (jamaa’ah).”

The story mentioned – apart from the words, “These two are a congregation” – was narrated by Abu Dawood and al-Tirmidhi with a different, saheeh, isnaad.

He also said:

This (the hadeeth of Maalik ibn al-Huwayrith (may Allaah be pleased with him)) may be understood as meaning that the smallest a congregation can be is an imam and one follower, which is more general in meaning than saying that the follower may be a man or a boy or a woman.

The hadeeth referred to by al-Haafiz is narrated by Abu Dawood (554) who classed it as saheeh.
The report is as follows: It was narrated from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw a man praying on his own and said: “Why doesn’t a man perform an act of charity for him and pray with him?” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 2652.

It says in ‘Awn al-Ma’bood: so that he may attain the reward of praying in congregation, so it will be as if he gave him charity.

It was narrated from Ubayy ibn Ka’b (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “… for a man to pray with another man is better than his praying alone, and for a man to pray with two other men is better than his praying with one man. The more there are, the more beloved that is to Allaah.” Al-Nasaa’i, 843; Abu Dawood, 554; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 2242.

But it should be noted that what is required of men is to offer the prayers in congregation in the mosque; it is not permissible to offer the obligatory prayers at home, whether in congregation or alone, unless one has an excuse.

that's meaning

2 women can pray in congregation one of them an imam and other a follower

2 men can pray in congregation one of them an imam and other a follower

.................................................................................................
woman + man .......the man is an imam and the woman is a follower

Ruling on woman being imaam for men

It is not permissible for a woman to lead men in prayer. The Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Keep women behind [in the back rows] as Allaah has commanded.” (Narrated by ‘Abd al-Razzaaq in his Musannaf, 5115. The isnaad stops at Ibn Mas’ood with a longer report than this; the isnaad is saheeh but it is not proven that this was said by the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)).

Moreover, the position of imaam in the mosque is a kind of wilaayah [public office], and wilaayah is only for men. “No nation prospers that appoints a woman over its affairs [wilaayah]” (narrated by al-Bukhaari, 13/45, 46),

as the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said.

There is an exception made by the Hanbalis, but this is a weak opinion. This view says that a woman may lead the men in taraaweeh if she reads well and the men present are illiterate, but she should be behind them and they should be in front of her. But there is no evidence (daleel) to support this view. The point is that it is not permissible for a woman to lead men in prayer. Yes, women may lead other women in prayer, it is OK if she leads other women. This is fine, as stated in the report of Umm Waraqah leading some of her mahrams, but as for her leading non-mahram men or as a public office [wilaayah], such as being an imaam in a mosque, this is not permitted.

Fataawa Samaahat al-Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Humayd, p. 130
<wasalam>

misalat

Jazaka Allah brother IslamicFajr .... your authentic quotes and right explainations will surely help all of us and increase our knowledge inshaa Allah.

May Allah reward you for doing the good job.
:tti_sister:

Status
Not open for further replies.