Christmas

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

I hope someone can answer the following question. Inshallah.

My question are:

1) If a christian gives a muslim person christmas card, are they allowed to accept it out of respect for thier religion?

2) If a christain gives thier neighbour some food from thier Christmas feast, can that person accept it if they are muslim?

3) Is a muslim allowed to say Merry Christmas to a Christian?

:jazaak: :)

Abdullah_77

a-oudu billah min esh-sheytan nir rajim
bismilillah hir rahman nir rahim

for number three dont reply merry chritmas beacsue what they are saying abiout human being god is lies
God cannot be born and god does not die.

just say Happy Holdiays i think instead of merry christmas for courtesy

ok
:SMILY149: wa selaam

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalaamu'Alykum,

In the khutbah on Jumu'ah the khateeb did a 3 in 1 so to speak. The second part of the khutbah was about celebrating christmas.

I can't exactly recall but he described it as congratualting each other on their shirk.

How unusual though i was walking back and i was near college, two mature adults were walking and quite loud for one to hear he said "Merry Christmas" to his friend. I thought more like it "Congratulations on your Shirk".

SubhanAllah

Wasalam

new-muslim

Salam ualaikum

1. Yes, I think it would be ok to accept a card even if it goes in the nearest bin!! Sorry!

2. Surely most of the food would not be halal. Turkey, sprouts, potatoes, christmas cake with sherry etc etc. Maybe you could just say sorry I can only eat certain food as I am Muslim. If it was say a delicious yummy cake, I may say yes though!!

3.I think if someone says Merry Christmas, maybe you could just smile or say have a nice holiday/time so as not to sound rude.

As salam ualaikum, Annette

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Being outwardly a muslim with beard & praying ... etc, I get cards with "peace" written on it which I accept & keep. I although get chocolates & similar stuff that are OK to consume most of the time, however I work with a rather educated group of people.

I rarely crack and the say the "Merry Christmas" thing ... I try hard to dodge it.

chaandani

Goofy Member
theres also a lot of people that celebrate christmas as a national holiday and not as a religious holiday since (not to be mean to any christians) christmas is originally a pagan holiday but is has become so commercialized that really, it has nothing to do with religion anymore nowadays (both christian and pagan). in that sense, i don't see why saying "merry christmas" would be bad? although i can understand avoiding saying "merry christmas" since you don't know what their intention is (meaning if they celebrate it religiously or nationally) actually, i think i just confused myself. heh

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty
a-oudu billah min esh-sheytan nir rajim
bismilillah hir rahman nir rahim

for number three dont reply merry chritmas beacsue what they are saying abiout human being god is lies
God cannot be born and god does not die.

just say Happy Holdiays i think instead of merry christmas for courtesy

ok
:SMILY149: wa selaam

Actually saying happy holidays is forbidden too. Look at the 3rd paragraph posted by Younus.
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5089&page=2

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty
theres also a lot of people that celebrate christmas as a national holiday and not as a religious holiday since (not to be mean to any christians) christmas is originally a pagan holiday but is has become so commercialized that really, it has nothing to do with religion anymore nowadays (both christian and pagan). in that sense, i don't see why saying "merry christmas" would be bad? although i can understand avoiding saying "merry christmas" since you don't know what their intention is (meaning if they celebrate it religiously or nationally) actually, i think i just confused myself. heh

I do agree with you sister most people I ask why they celebrate it they say it because of the presents. Also most of them are aware that it isn't Jesus (pbh) brith date.