Coconut Barfis

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

Sister Herb, I hope you can see the video now - I think I properly embedded it this time.

Janaan, sorry for the no-heads up for the music. I edited it in now. But you should have edited it before me, my dear green sis. What does the name Barfi mean? I think it's derived from "baraf" (pronouced buruf, plese no elongating the vowels into something disgusting again), which means Ice in Urdu/Hindi. I suppose the sweets look like little pieces of ice/snow or icecubes.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Janaan, sorry for the no-heads up for the music. I edited it in now. But you should have edited it before me, my dear green sis. What does the name Barfi mean? I think it's derived from "baraf" (pronouced buruf, please no elongating the vowels into something disgusting again), which means Ice in Urdu/Hindi. I suppose the sweets look like little pieces of ice/snow or icecubes.

I wanted to be nice and let you do it ; )

Hey what a coincidence, we say Ba-raf for Ice in Somali as well. :)

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
What a coincidence that the two MN sisters (well, I'm ex-MN) have the same word for snow, yet in different languages.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Coincidence indeed. And I don't consider you an ex - there's still space for you here, you can come back anytime.:SMILY126: But I think we had the word first, ya'll borrowed it from us =P

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
mmmmm!I really like them.when I was hinduist I liked to eat "berfi".keep on sharing sister;)

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

Me again!

I've finally found out that the Pistachios Indian sweets I love are actually the 'barfis'!!!

image.jpg

Now... Can anyone share the recipe? Please a recipe you have tried yourself or one your mum/grandma has passed over to you... That would be even better!

Jazakhum Allahu khayran