College: Possible Majors?

xAllahKnowsBestx

Assalamu 'alaykum

Honestly, I feel like every once in a while I freak out and post a thread on TTI complaining about how I don't know what I'll do in college. You've probably seen one of my threads in the sister's section and well, this is it again.

What are some possible majors I could major in college to get into the "Human Rights" field.. you know, landing a job at the Human Rights Watch or Amnesty (CAIR maybe?) or even the UN (yeah, far fetched but you get my point).

I've been contemplating Law School but law school = loans = ribaa = haraam, so that's not a possibility. I've been told if I don't go to either Medical school/Law school I'll have to pursue a Master's or PhD in anything I try do. Either way, I'd like to get at least a Master's degree inshaa'Allaah.

Back to my question on HRW or Amnesty and other organizations.. I'm thinking of International Relations. Can anyone shed some light on how I should go about doing this? I'm kind of confused. The college I plan on going to has Globalization Studies as a major, which I think is almost the same as International Relations. I'm just not sure.

JazaakAllaahu khayr.

strive-may-i

Assalamu 'alaykum

Honestly, I feel like every once in a while I freak out and post a thread on TTI complaining about how I don't know what I'll do in college. You've probably seen one of my threads in the sister's section and well, this is it again.

What are some possible majors I could major in college to get into the "Human Rights" field.. you know, landing a job at the Human Rights Watch or Amnesty (CAIR maybe?) or even the UN (yeah, far fetched but you get my point).

I've been contemplating Law School but law school = loans = ribaa = haraam, so that's not a possibility. I've been told if I don't go to either Medical school/Law school I'll have to pursue a Master's or PhD in anything I try do. Either way, I'd like to get at least a Master's degree inshaa'Allaah.

Back to my question on HRW or Amnesty and other organizations.. I'm thinking of International Relations. Can anyone shed some light on how I should go about doing this? I'm kind of confused. The college I plan on going to has Globalization Studies as a major, which I think is almost the same as International Relations. I'm just not sure.

JazaakAllaahu khayr.

Walaikum Salaam,

What you do in college? Focus, (and not remain narrow minded) I thought :)
But yeah, its easily said than done.

Often, when our interests/abilities are wide and varied, its possible to remain undecided. But that does not help. Do a thorough search of your known proven abilities, so far in academic career and real life. Choose subjects/specializations, that helps you meet the obligations and needs closer to your heart.

Nothing is far fetched, if you know you have it in you, then better use it, for good ends, should be the motto. Its important that you have the best understanding of 'why you should be doing that job (Human Rights , Amnest and insha allah UN in future)'?

From layman understanding, Globalization studies should not be same as International Relations. International relations is much wider, not just commerce. Globalization makes use of international relations, but not the same. International relations would be the kind of stuff useful in UN, obviously!
http://www.albany.edu/globalization/what_can_i_do.shtml

Whatever you choose, let it not be at the cost of your deen. Hope this sets the tone, sister. May Allah guide you... Ameen

sultanb

Assalamu 'alaykum

JazaakAllaahu khayr.

:wasalam:

Consider an economics degree sister. It would give you a skill set. I had an economics professor that researched human trafficking in Europe.

Here's a link that might help you.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Life-Physical-and-Social-Science/Economists.htm#tab-2

You can also check out the other occupations through there.

Shak78

I am a Political Science Major with a concentration in International Relations, however with that type of degree I can either go into politics ( no thanks unless its running a campaign), teach ( which I want to do) or work for government. Sadly this is a degree that won't make me a lot of money when I am done. Any type of teaching degree with get you a job.

Koke

I am majoring in Anthropology. Many of my professors have done extensive case studies and research on populations and other influencing aspects of culture. They present their research at UN hearings and to government policy makers to make changes in those countries that will better benefit the actual people and the environment. A professor of mine is actually studying Muslim communities in the Philippines and how these communities can better their relations with the other religious communities.

In almost any major today, to actually do something that you dream to do, you need a PhD. It is the truth. But there are many ways to get away from loans. I know in my major to get into graduate school you have to have an existing researcher or professor "mentor" you and with their approval you are allowed into graduate school. From there the school pays for your graduate education.

If you like, I can hook you up with some contacts to get further information. I also really liked this major because many of the people are extremely open minded and welcoming. They don't discriminate or hate on others because of 'differences'. It is very enlightening and somewhat empowering. Also, the peace corp loves Anthropology Majors.

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
One of the most common misconceptions is that a variety of degrees do not have job prospects. And for most of these fields, this is not true. Your career path and choices depend on the extent to which you will pursue them during and after the completion of your degree.

I did my BA in Journalism, and when I finished, I (deliberately) did not pursue a career in the field because at the time I had just come out of, what to me was a life changing experience, but to others was a mere tragedy or trauma. During my degree, I did a lot of print media work, I had a lot of my articles published, and was considering the bigger picture of making the move back home to offer my skills and experience. However, what I didn't do, was keep close relations with my course coordinators in terms of future goals. If I did, perhaps I would have landed myself a job in the New York Times just as many, many of my classmates did. Three months down the track, I enrolled in a post grad course in teaching secondary education. I still have the same dreams, of embarking on the 'bigger picture', and it's good to dream, however, immediately, my focus is on building contacts, experience and skills.

In a field like International Relations, you can easily get an internship (I enrolled in this course too!) and that would be a powerful starting point if you want to pursue this field as your career path. I learnt from my undergrad that I needed to make my goals and dreams much more clearer to my educators so they can guide me in the right path. Not only do they recognise and acknowledge you in every class after that, but they also mentor you throughout your course. With my postgrad, I did just that, and my course coordinator offered me some pretty good stuff. Whether I accepted them, is not the point, but how much their willingness extends in your favour is.