Communal Masjid

adammohamed

Assalam alaikum to Borthers and Sisters,
Where I come from the masjids are vacant except for Friday prays , Ramadan Trawiah
Prays and so on.

What I am trying to state is I want more congressional meeting in the masjid apart from prays only for example the people will come to the masjid compound area to play games or go to library in the masjid where by it becomes communal place that's in other countries.

This is what my cousin and I trying instil in local masjid .Inshallah.

We just want ideas from you and examples in your countries how make the mosque a place where is more interesting for people to come.

Wassalam alaikum
Adam
:tti_sister: :salah: :SMILY346:

somewhatinspired

in the united states

here often the masjid is the only place where people can connect with other Muslims, because there are so few of us here.

there are usually classes and activities and such that make use of the space when it is not prayer time.

often the masjid will serve as a school for small children as well, with classrooms and a lunch area , sometimes a small kitchen like space.

and others are just office space rented for the muslims in the area to pray together

it really depends,

honestly it is intimidating for me to go to the mosque when i don't know anyone their, because i don't know how i will be received.

sometimes it feels like people don't trust me because i am American, and it may seem strange to some people that an american would attend jummah, or wish to speak with an imam etc.

dont get me wrong, most masjids are more than welcoming,

sometimes it feels like some of the small ones are geared more towards a certain culture or group in the community than towards Muslims in general.

so if i could provide any input the thing that really makes a masjid feel welcoming and stand out amongst the others is outreach programs and classes and meetings for new Muslims.

i think it is important that you make everyone feel welcome.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

In colleges and universities masjids are more active as the population is young and active.
With families when children are young it is necessary to have activites for the children.
I always try to get a knitting group together ( no success )..to knit scarves for the elderly etc.
You can have as many ideas as the number of stars in the skies...you have to be stronger than the apathy.

adammohamed

PHP:
[QUOTE=honestly it is intimidating for me to go to the mosque when i don't know anyone their, because i don't know how i will be received.

sometimes it feels like people don't trust me because i am American, and it may seem strange to some people that an american would attend jummah, or wish to speak with an imam etc.

dont get me wrong, most masjids are more than welcoming [/QUOTE]

The sensation is common for anyone who enter place which they not familiar with people or surrounds, it’s like alienating. It happens to me to that’s why we are aiming to do this in our local masjid.
I think there should have orientation day for all the new members in the:SMILY346: :salah: masjid.

Thank u very much for your views.

Wasallam to u

adammohamed

Worthy of note

PHP:
[quote="mirajmom, post: 107712"] 
You can have as many ideas as the number of stars in the skies...you have to be stronger than the apathy.[/QUOTE]

O, thank u Sister for motivating words. Allah blesses U
:tti_sister: :hijabi: :muslim_child: :SMILY346:

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
The sensation is common for anyone who enter place which they not familiar with people or surrounds, it’s like alienating. It happens to me to that’s why we are aiming to do this in our local masjid.
I think there should have orientation day for all the new members in the:SMILY346: :salah: masjid.

Thank u very much for your views.

Wasallam to u

Assalaamualaikum,

Brother, In Islamic countries, Muslims are living for centuries. They are of the same color and race usually. So they dont feel much strange about anybody comeing to masjid. But in international environment where people are educated and uneducated both, and from different races and cultures, you might now find people so much open. So you have to open them. When you enter the masjid then say AssalaamuAlaikum. And before prayer, just try to introduce yourself to any person sitting near you and shake hand. Try to socialize yourself.

Also, someday you can bring some minor eatables or minor gifts for everyone there. They will surely feel you part of community, InshaAllah. :)

For the activities part, you can have:

Arabic classes;

English classes for those whose spoken English is not so good;

A talk about establishing a charity fund and making committes to organize it;

A talk about how to socialize and increase our level of relationship to practically help each other in real world matters, such as gathering basic contact informations of all members;

Having some Islamic video demonstrations on projector while providing some light refreshments to the audience in which you invite nonMuslims neighbors/fellows too. (you can download videos of some scholars from youtube and google video etc.).

Having light talk about some current affair issue in neighborhood and how to approach it.

Having talk of how to organize yourself to have a "Common thinking" and "Common reaction" in certain kind of situations and events, so that all the Muslim's efforts can be fruitful.

Wassalaam

adammohamed

THANK U Tamed Brother

Also, someday you can bring some minor eatables or minor gifts for everyone there. They will surely feel you part of community, InshaAllah. :)

For the activities part, you can have:

Arabic classes;

English classes for those whose spoken English is not so good;

A talk about establishing a charity fund and making committes to organize it;

A talk about how to socialize and increase our level of relationship to practically help each other in real world matters, such as gathering basic contact informations of all members;

Having some Islamic video demonstrations on projector while providing some light refreshments to the audience in which you invite nonMuslims neighbors/fellows too. (you can download videos of some scholars from youtube and google video etc.).

Having light talk about some current affair issue in neighborhood and how to approach it.

Having talk of how to organize yourself to have a "Common thinking" and "Common reaction" in certain kind of situations and events, so that all the Muslim's efforts can be fruitful.

Assalaamualaikum Brother,

I really appreciate on your ideas and preparations for this are broadening my mindset of thinking.

May Allah bless u with Peace, Rahamath and Barakat in this world and hereafter!

Please make doa for me and for the masjid to become more active place. Inshallah

Wasallam