Hadith Crossing Thorny Fields

afrarzk

احبك ىارب
Crossing Thorny Fields

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “The lawful is clear, and the unlawful is clear, and between them are things which are doubtful and not known to most of you. So anyone who keeps away from doubtful things, in fact protects his faith and honor, and he who indulges in doubtful acts, falls into fault.” [Bukhaari]

In Islam, forbidden things are known as Haraam and permitted things are known as Halaal. The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) advised us to stick to what we know with certainty to be Halaal and steer clear of things that we don’t know for sure to be Halaal, matters about which the heart feels doubtful.

Umar ibn al-Khattab (radi Allahu anhu) asked Ubbay ibn Ka’ab (radi Allahu anhu), “What is the meaning of Taqwa?” Ubbay ibn Ka’ab said, “O Amir ul Mu’minin, have you walked in a field that had a lot of thorny plants?” Umar said, “Yes” Ubbay ibn Ka’ab asked, “So what did you do?” Umar replied, “I lifted up my clothes and I was very careful,” Ubbay ibn Ka’ab said, “That is Taqwa.”

Living in this world is like walking in a field full of thorny plants. Shaytaan and his followers try to seduce us and invite us to evil which they make attractive with benefits. Having Taqwa is being careful so that one doesn’t get caught on these thorns. We ask Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) to make us of the Muttaqoon.