cure for "showing off" / Riyaa

a_brother

Make dua for us all
Riyaa
“To perform acts which are pleasing to Allaah with the intention of pleasing other than Allaah.”

The Cure – Ways To Avoid Riyaa’​

(a) Increasing Knowledge:

One of the cures for the vast majority of the problems Muslims face, is to
increase their Knowledge of the religion. Allaah (Subhanahu wa ta'ala) says
in the Qur’an: “It is only those who have knowledge among His slaves that have awe (khashyah) of Allaah.” 16

(b) Invocations (Du’aa):

Among the strongest repellents of riyaa’ and one of the easiest, is du’aa. The
du’aa for protection against riyaa’ is: ‘Allaahumma (O Allaah) innee (Verily I) a’oudhubika (I take refuge in you) an ushrika (lest I should commit shirk) bika (with you) wa anaa a’lamu (knowingly) wa (and) astagfiruka (I seek your forgiveness) limaa (for what) la a’lamu’ (I do unknowingly).” 17

Also one should make dhikr and remember Allaah as He (Subhanahu wa
ta'ala) says: “Verily, those who are Al-Muttaqûn, when an evil thought comes to them from Shaitaan, they remember (Allaah), and (indeed) they then see (aright).” 18

(c) Reflection Upon Heaven And Hell:

Reflection on the Hereafter helps one develop more fear of Allaah, and
increases one’s desire to stay away from sins. If a person realises that his
purpose in life is not to gain fame and prestige, nor the acceptance or
happiness of others, but rather to save himself from Hell and enter Paradise,
he will try his utmost to avoid riyaa’.

The Mistake Of Abandoning An Action Fearing Riyaa:

“…Leaving an action out of fear of falling into riyaa is one of the biggest mistakes and ways of falling into the trap of Shaytaan. If the intent and motive for an action is correct and righteous and if it is in agreement with the Sunnah then the action should never be abandoned due to the presence of the danger of riyaa’ Rather it is obligatory upon the Muslim to strive against this threat and danger. This is achieved by making his heart cling to modesty in front of Allaah (Subhanahu wa ta'ala) and fear of Him, and changing the praise and admiration of creation for Allaah’s Admiration and Praise.

to read more, please go to this link
http://abdurrahman.org/tawheed/minorshirk-calltoislam.pdf

pious83

wa alaikum salaam....yeah sometimes when I think about death it scares me back to straight path because unlike other religions jannah is not guranteed for anyone. I mean I know there are some hadits like " if you have a faith the size of mustard seed in your heart you will enter Jannah" but I also read somewhere that you may also have to spend sometime in Hellfire......and trust me and I don't even want to see the hellfire let alone live there for years.:tti_sister: