curious

sal12

assalamu alikum,

I was just wondering is it islamic the way the saudi arabia govt chop people's hands off for stealing and stone people for adultery and rape? And if it is how do we justify this to non muslims. They see this as barbaric and backward. So how do we explain the reasoning behind these punishments? Is it right what the saudi govt are doing? because a muslim guy at work was having a conversation with a non muslim about the punishments that saudi arabia give when committing crimes and the non muslim couldnt understand so i instantly thought i would come on tti for help since i dont understand either.

Jazakallahu khayran

samiha

---------
Staff member
wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah

I do not know about Saudi and their practices, but Insha'Allah I just wanted to clarify something which is grounded in our Shar'iah. What people fail to understand in these punishments is that each has steps and degrees. First of all certain conditions much be fulifilled in each so that the person can be convicted of the crime. Secondly if they are convicted then the punishment is carried out according to what was ordained, not more nor less than that. And it serves as a "nakaalan" exemplary punishment so as to deter future criminals.

You see, people get some weird idea that when you go to Saudi you see every other person with their hand cut off or something. I've heard it from countless people again and again, that is entirely not the case. Hardly does any person find another who knows of one who has had their hand cut off. You see, we people are based on certain morals that we tend to abide by things more firmly if we fear its consequence, or we look forward to a gift or something. In this case, even if a person does not fear Allah in their crime, they fear the punishment which would await their act, and thus refrain from doing it. Makes sense right? Now if I said ... "If someone steals this they'll be fined $20" and if I say "If someone steals this they'll lose their hand" which one is a person more likely to listen to? If a person is very rich they wont care for the former, but nobody wants to lose something so precious.

Therefore it is not a barbaric practice, it actually ensures the further saftey of the society. I've heard stories that a person dropped something and went back a few days later searching and it was still there. Or that people dont have to lock cars and such. If implemented correctly its a great thing.

I dont have time to elaborate, but Insha'Allah it clarified a little bit.

wasalam

3:54

:salam2:

For starters Saudi Arabia isn't exactly the champion role model of Islam and what they do sometimes can not even be justified by Islam. However, Sharia does state that in the event of these crimes these measures can be taken, but it is important to stress that the qadi follow Qu'ran and Sunnah, and by following the Sunnah of the Prophet (SAWS) and by trying ones best to apply the teachings, the maximum punishment is rarely met. Remember, it is better to make a mistake in forgiving then to make a mistake in punishing, as our Prophet Muhammed (saws) said.