Dealing with secular Muslim parents ?

Hopetogoparadis

Assalam alakum

do anyone here has secular Muslim parents ?

like they pray, fast, give zakah, read Quran, make zikr and so on but when it comes to Shariah laws, hijab, beard etc. they are ''modern'' ''secular''. do you know what i mean ?

When it comes to marriage, they want you to delay it because you should have good job first etc. They want you to have a ''modern'' Muslim wife. (probably they would love one without hijab)

When it comes to going and mixing with non mahram other gender relatives, they insist you to go with them etc.

Examples can be given more

How should one deal with parents like that ?

Ayanle

ask them to rationalise their choices and decisions, if they can't let them know they are wrong

UmQassim

walaykum Asalam Sister,

Subhanallah, I remind myself and everyone else that Islam entails complete submission to our Creator.

Allah says,

"O believers enter into Islam completely and do not follow the footsteps of Shaitan, surely he is your clear-cut
enemy.
If you falter after receiving the clear-cut message, then keep in mind that Allah is Mighty, Wise.
Are they waiting for Allah to come down to them in the shadow of clouds, along with the angels, and make His decision known? Ultimately all matters will be presented to Allah for decision."
(Surah Al-Baqara, Ayah 208-210)

Sister just keep giving them dawah Insha-Allah. You can do this first and foremost by setting an example and presenting them with evidence from the Quran and Sunnah. Provide them with lectures, fatwas, books, etc. Do not give up spreading the truth Insha-Allah and ask Allah (SWT) to facillitate your efforts and guide you and your family. never give up!

I ask Allah to make it easy for all of us to save ourselves and our families from His Wrath. Ameen.

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
Asslamaliekum warahmatullahi wabrakatu,
I think this perfectly answers your question:
[yt]xYleup4hp2Y[/yt]

Yes true we'll have to disobey them in this regards, but shouldn't make a frown face and shout,etc... Rather sometimes sitiuation could be handled very well.
Say for brothers your mom comes and makes a remark looking at your face "wassup with this fuzzy stuff, why dont you trim it here, shave it a bit,etc..." so you can put your 2 thumbs up say "hah! Perfect" and then you can run to room waiving your hands and making spaceship sound. :p

For sisters you can always say "my skin (color) gonna get burned" during summer & umm..."its too cold" during winter. ;)

Just an example.
May Allah (swt) make us dutiful to our parent & forgive their and our mistakes...

Hopetogoparadis

Yes, brother Nouman has nice videos about it and he exactly explains situations. But still, if ther are any brothers (as i am a bro as well) who have such parents, i would like to hear their situations

(P.S when i say ''such'' parents, i dont mean horrible parents or anything, i am just referring to parents who were raised secular)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We love our parents. Our bond with our parents is one of the strongest in life. And sometimes it is the most difficult of relationships. We have to honor them.

With intense relationships like this often the best thing to do is by example. Practice your faith with love and silence.Actions speak louder than words at times. And the words of the Prophet, swas, ring true. Show them the best of manners.

Make them proud of who you are. And let them want to participate in that joy. They will want to spend more time with you. Share some of the funny videos about Islam. I love the silly ones. They teach lessons without being offensive. There is one about Shytan in the house and it is silly.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamu'alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh,

I am not a brother, though. I actually made some thoughts whether to post here or not but thinking that if somehow what I'm going to write will help you if not much, so here I am. And even as I write, the person who needs to ponder and remember about it the most is, me.

To say that I have secular parents, not exactly correctly. They still do their obligatory duties; pray, fast, zakaah but they do not have Islaamic mind as in view everything in this world from the deen POV.

Even when we've layed out our daleel and justifications why we are doing what we are i.e: "Why I'd like to get married early despite that I haven't yet finish study", "Why I want to constantly wear abaya", why this and that, but they are still within their own worlds.

It wasn't one easy task, dealing with parents who aren't on the same road as you are. The best thing to do and it should be done persistently: Advice them WITH love, present a good akhlaaq to them, teach them slowly what the deen teaches you in various aspects of life.

I emphasized WITH love because always it is hard when we've tried all these years but the outcome is still the same. Friends who knows about it insisted me to do this: Open the door of forgiveness to your parents and Allaah will surely open the door of His Forgiveness to you.

Why does it reaches until the extent of forgiveness is needed? Well I'm sure being a man who wants to practice the deen to the fullest, you must have face before where you were being opposed or criticize from your parents to do what you feel is the best for you. In this situation, you should be wise enough to prioritize. If it is a matter than doesn't include the disobedient to The Creator, then prioritizing over your parents is a must. If it will cause disobedient to Allaah, then surely you must not fulfill of their wish but still treat them in a nice and humble manner.

You must realize this one important fact: That Allaah does not burden a human that which is beyond his capability. Thus even when we feel that we've given up on our family or questioning why we have such parents/family, know that Allaah doesn't burden His slaves; meaning that we are capable to go through this test. And among the hikmaah that you can gain is that, Allaah has chosen you to be the son whom will guide your parents back to the true Islaamic teachings with His Will. Aminn.

And also, we should be thankful that we still have our parents in this world. There are people who became yateem (orphan) since they were little. They never knew of their parents, they never felt the love of having parents, and perhaps some might not even know their parents' name! So long that our parents are still given life by Allaah, do as much good deeds towards them as you can. Make them happy and be thankful that they've raised you until you've become the person you are today.

A dear sister wrote this one amazing statement and let us (who are going through similar problem) keep this in our mind:

"Transform the way you see the ones who have harmed you. See them as your greatest gift because they are your fast pass to the forgiveness of Allaah! By forgiving them, you're forgiven by Allaah."

Don't forget to keep praying for your parents so that when you've open the door of forgiveness to them, Allaah will shower His Mercy upon you, Ameen.

14_41.png

"Our Lord, forgive me and my parents and the believers the Day the account is established." [Ibrahim, 14:41]

:wasalam:

Ershad

Walaykum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Sister Aisya posted really beneficial advice. Mine would be the same. Advice them but only with much kindness. It might be the case that they don't listen to you even after your advice. But, just be patient with them. There are times when we are adamant on something. We should realize that other people also will have similar behaviour. If they don't accept with kindness, they wouldn't accept with anything else either. This is the case for every creature. And make dua to Allah for them, to guide them and to have mercy on them.

Jabir رضي الله عنه reported: The Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم said: “He who is deprived of kindness is deprived of good.”

[Sahih Muslim, Book 32, Number 6270]

عَنْ جَرِيرٍ عَنْ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ مَنْ يُحْرَمْ الرِّفْقَ يُحْرَمْ الْخَيْرَ

Baarakallahu feekum

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:wasalam:

Ma sha' Allah my brothers and sisters here have given good advice.
Brother,our parents are a blessings for us and a way to attain Allah's pleasure by dealing with them in kindness.
In fact even if they seem to not like what we do,it is a form of test for us and there is good in it too.
As my brothers and sisters have said patience , perseverance and good conduct adhere to these things always.
Our ikhlaq play an important role.
Brother I cannot say about all parents,but some parents who are secular might be practical and are motivated by practical things,you have to understand their psyche and act accordingly.
Islam is a religion which is practiced as well and good manners and ikhlaq are the best things we have.
Like when your father or mother returns from work give them a glass of cold water with smile and say salam and ask them how they are feeling and things like that.
Also try to lighten atmosphere sometimes like brother ItqanUllah said,it absorbs a lot of tension.
When you find the apporpriate time when your parents are in a good mood and relaxed and you think it's appropriate,just say a few things about Islam.
They say actions speak louder than words.
I read an urdu poem which describes what should be done beautifully:Mard e haq wo hai jo paigham e amal deta hai,
Khud badalta nahee duniya ko badal deta hai,

Khaikhwahi karo dushman ki bhi manind e shajar,
koi patthar use mare to wo phal deta hai.

Sirf guftar se hasil nahee hota kuch bhi,
Sila e khair faqat husn e amal deta hai.

Translation:
True man is the one who conveys the message of actions,
He doesn't change himself but changes the whole world around him.

Be a well wisher of enemies just like a tree,
when someone hurls a stone at it,in return it gives them fruit.

Nothing can be achieved by mere talks,
The message of goodness can only be conveyed by beautiful actions.

May Allah help you and make it easy for you.Ameen.

Hopetogoparadis

But what about showing love to them ? Like you know, if someone says something not what you like, you dont go and hug that person , right? You dont feel such big love in heart to go and hug, kiss that person. But parents expect this ''why you dont show love as before ?'' etc. What to do in this case ? Wouldn tthat be like being two faced, if we give them a fake hug, kiss and so on just because they want it ?