Depression

ShaistaN

As Salaam u Alaykum

I have been recently diagnosed with depression. I was then prescribed medication and psychotherapy sessions. I am to be hospitalised tomorrow. I pray continuosly to Allah our Lord to remove this affliction from me. I have been suffering with depression for four years now. I just wanted to know what are the thoughts on depression and treatment in islam?

ayman

La Ilaha Illa Allah
Staff member
wa alakum assalamu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,
here is something wich can help u inchAllah:

Du’aa’s to remove depression
Are there any duas to remove my deppresion?

Praise be to Allaah.

In al-Saheehayn it was reported from Ibn ‘Abbaas that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say, when he felt distressed:

“La ilaaha ill-Allaah al-‘Azeem ul-Haleem, Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah Rabb il-‘arsh il-‘azeem, Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah Rabb is-samawaati wa Rabb il-ard wa Rabb il-‘arsh il-kareem (there is no god except Allaah, the All-Mighty, the Forbearing; there is no god except Allaah, the Lord of the Mighty Throne; there is no god except Allaah, Lord of the heavens, Lord of the earth and Lord of the noble Throne).”

And it was reported from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say, when something upset him:

“Yaa Hayyu yaa Qayyoom, bi Rahmatika astagheeth (O Ever-Living One, O Everlasting One, by Your mercy I seek help).”

And it was reported that Asmaa’ bint ‘Umays (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to me: “Shall I not teach you some words to say when you feel distressed? ‘Allaah, Allaah, Rabbee laa ushriku bihi shay’an (Allaah, Allaah, my Lord, I do not associate anything with Him).’”

It was reported from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No person suffers any anxiety or grief, and says:

‘Allaahumma innee ‘abduka wa ibn ‘abdika wa ibn amatika, naasiyati bi yadika, maadin fiyya hukmuka, ‘adlun fiyya qadaa’uka, as’aluka bi kulli ismin huwa laka sammayta bihi nafsaka aw anzaltahu fi kitaabika aw ‘allamtahu ahadan min khalqika aw ista’tharta bihi fi ‘ilm il-ghaybi ‘andak an taj’ala al-Qur’aana rabee’ qalbi wa noor sadri wa jalaa’a huzni wa dhahaaba hammi (O Allaah, I am Your slave, son of Your slave, son of Your female slave, my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is forever executed and Your decree over me is just. I ask You by every Name belonging to You which You named Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the unseen with You, that You make the Qur’aan the life of my heart and the light of my breast, and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety)’

- but Allaah will take away his sorrow and grief, and give him in their stead joy.”

Al-Kalim al-Tayyib by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, edited by Shaykh al-Albaani, p. 72

SOURCE: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/5112/depression

Almaas

Salaam,

I'm really sorry to hear that. I don't really suffer from depression, but believe me i've experienced the feeling, especially during this last week. Turning to Allah (SWT) normally cures my pain.

But i can remeber hearing a talk about self pity not existing in Islam, so i try to remember that and think positive. Remember you're never alone, Allah (SWT) is always there for you and this world is just temporary; it's all a test.

Through this thread there is some interesting information.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42670

I hope I have been of some help and I really hope that you, inshAllah, get better soon. :hijabi:

Wsalaam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Sister, I pray that you will recover from your depression. I have been a counselor in the past. The following are my personal observations. I pray some of the things I write will ease your pain, Insha'Allah.

When a person is depressed the words they use include stuck, heavy, burdened, low, down, lethergic, etc. Note these words are weary. Depression is carrying a burden that should have been tossed.

In a limited sense depression is like being stuck in the mud and you can only look backwards. There is no hope of tomorrow as you are facing the wrong way, yesterday.

The depressed person looks ruefully at yesterday. There was something, an event, a feeling, in the yesterday that takes away from today and does not allow tomorrow to enter.

The ego is swallowed up by the id..poorly stated but it makes sense. There are unsatisfied urges, needs, desires and wants that could not mature. The demands of the unfulfilled need robs the person from seeing reality.

When we pray..we pray with our eyes open. We are in the present..in the here and the now. When we are in good psychological health we speak in terms of being light. Prayer is the cure. Prayer keeps us in the present.

Sister...hold on to the words: Allah is the Light of the Universe. Whatever it was that could not be..let it go..wash it away...and allow the Light of Allah to replace the void.

Insha'Allah I will make dua. Please let us know how you are.

nori suja'i

Wa'aleikoom salam,
i'm sorry for u sister, inshaAllah if u recite AlQur'an ur heart will feel calm & peaceful. i suggest u read Soorah Ar-Rahman & 'tawaqqal' to Allah too about whatever problem u have.

spectrum

Assalaamu alaykum,

Looks at it positively. It is a test to make us stronger and wiser. Especially in Ramadhan. ALLAH would not let us suffer and only HE knows that we can cope with it. The good deeds await us. We have to be patience and embrace ALLAH at all time. Zikir, Insyaallaah.
I pray for your health and peace.

Shadow_of_White

salaam
I know approximately how it feels to be in depression because I myself have been experiencing it for a while now. Although everyone expereinces it differently, it affects us all in a same way.
It usually is removed by removing the root of it; the things that bother you.,

Do something that you like- go the mosque everyday. with your friends, eat well and talk about your problems and feelings to your closest ones. What is it exactly that bothers you.

Sometimes, once you have been feeling down over something for a long time, that feeling usually stains to the point it becomes for me forgetable to know how I was before that. Well in my case, that is. THe point is to make dua to Allah and think positive. Nothing in life is bad as we make it to be. ^^
This forum is here also to make friends, inshAllah and we are ll here to help .

khalid imthiyaz

to my sister

I am so sorry to hear that dear sister.
I will keep you in my duaas inshallah.

asaalam ualaikum var ahmathulla hi va barakathu hu

from
khalid

AAminAA

Amatullah
:salam2:

Say a lot of dhikr, as much as you can, any time, anywere...just dhikr !

May Allah give you good health. Ameen !

asifeqbal

i think one way to avoid depresiion is to get married.before marriage i also use to feel lot of depressuin but it not so bad.depressiion i think is due to some bad memory in the past.if it is so may allah help u to forget that memeory