Destruction of Buddhist Sculpture in Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

abou haytam

salam o alikom

i am sorry i will post this hadith in arabic cuz i didn t find it in english.

Du alkifl is not budah as mentioned by sister Sarah the link given don t give any proof that the prophet Du-Alkifl(pbuh) is Budah.

Pay attention to what you read!!!! don t take any information without source: hadith or name of scholars..etc.

hadith is reporetd in Sunan At-tirmidi. and it said clearly that Du-lkifl is among children of isreal.

Plz if someone of you, can provide the hadith in english.

حديث رقم: 2496
سنن الترمذي > كتاب صفة القيامة والرقائق والورع عن رسول الله > باب

حدثنا عبيد بن أسباط بن محمد القرشي حدثنا أبي حدثنا الأعمش عن عبد الله بن عبد الله الرازي عن سعد مولى طلحة عن بن عمر قال : (سمعت النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم يحدث حديثا لو لم أسمعه إلا مرة أو مرتين حتى عد سبع مرات ولكني سمعته أكثر من ذلك سمعت رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم يقول كان الكفل من بني إسرائيل لا يتورع من ذنب عمله فأتته امرأة فأعطاها ستين دينارا على أن يطأها فلما قعد منها مقعد الرجل من امرأته أرعدت وبكت فقال ما يبكيك أأكرهتك قالت لا ولكنه عمل ما عملته قط وما حملني عليه إلا الحاجة فقال تفعلين أنت هذا وما فعلته اذهبي فهي لك وقال لا والله لا أعصي الله بعدها أبدا فمات من ليلته فأصبح مكتوبا على بابه إن الله قد غفر للكفل قال أبو عيسى هذا حديث حسن قد رواه شيبان وغير واحد عن الأعمش نحو هذا ورفعوه وروى بعضهم عن الأعمش فلم يرفعه وروى أبو بكر بن عياش هذا الحديث عن الأعمش فأخطأ فيه وقال عن عبد الله بن عبد الله عن سعيد بن جبير عن بن عمرو وهو غير محفوظ وعبد الله بن عبد الله الرازي هو كوفي وكانت جدته سرية لعلي بن أبي طالب وروى عن عبد الله بن عبد الله الرازي عبيدة الضبي والحجاج بن أرطاة وغير واحد من كبار أهل العلم).

قال الترمذي : حديث حسن

You can also check tafssir ibn kathir or other Tafssir of this verse.

''Then We heard his prayer and removed that adversity from which he suffered, and We gave him his household (that he had lost) and the like thereof along with them, a mercy from Our store, and a remembrance for the worshippers; (84) And (mention) Ishmael, and Idris, and Dhu'l-Kifl. All were of the steadfast. (85)'' 21:85 Qoran

allah know best

And Budda is not worshipped...they do not believe he is a god therefore the it was not an idol in the classical sense. Furthermore there were no Buddists worshipping the statue when it was destroyed. The sphinx represents a god of a polytheistic religion for goodness sakes!! What if people decide to start worshipping it? Should not this risk justify it's destruction too? And this is a Muslim run country we are talking about.

I feel we did more harm than good by destroying this statue. If any Buddist were ever curious about Islam I am sure this action completely turned them off to us. We offended Buddist by destroying this ancient work of art and it's reflects poorly on our manners. Why don't we begin destroying hindu temples in Pakistan while were at it? I mean they are actively worshipping false gods so is it our obligation to remove this offense? Or should we trust in the Quran when it states there is no compulsion in religion?

I know people are bringing up the story of Prophet MOhammed (pbuh) and the removal of idols form the Kabbah but that was the Kabbah. He did not go to other parts of Saudi and seek to destroy statues...only in a sacred place. Prophet Ibrahim (pbuh) destroyed the idols to prove that the rocks were not gods but simply rocks. The Buddhists did not think the statue was a living god or that they needed to worship it. So the comparisons are not sound.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

abou haytam

Pay attention

The site given by sister Shyhijabi, it s a sect in pakistan and india called Al ahmadia or Alkadiania. they are out of islam and they beleive that jesus is die and mohamed is not the last messenger even they beleive that the messih is Mazar ghoulam the guy that creat this sect.

so it s not amazing that they will said that budah is a prophet cited in qoran.

here are what scholars said about AL ahmadia.

Qadianiyyah in the light of Islam

Question:
I appeal to you to answer the questions that I have previously submitted or to answer the one that follows, as the problem has for months caused me nothing but trouble in my local community. Even if I had the support of a fatwa, it might not help because this local community does not respect the ulama, but at least I would know that I am not erring.
I know that you cannot answer all questions, but surely something as important as this cannot be ignored. It is Ramadan and I hope for your answer.
1. If someone is not a qadiani but knows that they believe in a false prophet and accepts qadianis as a madhab in Islam, are they out of Islam? I believe that they are out of Islam, and I am acting on that belief in my conduct towards such people.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Definition:

Qadianiyyah is a movement that started in 1900 CE as a plot by the British colonialists in the Indian subcontinent, with the aim of diverting Muslims away from their religion and from the obligation of jihaad in particular, so that they would not oppose colonialism in the name of Islam. The mouthpiece of this movement is the magazine Majallat Al-Adyaan (Magazine if Religions) which was published in English.

Foundation and prominent personalities:

Mirza Ghulam Ahmad al-Qadiani (1839-1908 CE) was the main tool by means of which Qadianiyyah was founded. He was born in the village of Qadian, in the Punjab, in India, in 1839 CE. He came from a family that was well known for having betrayed its religion and country, so Ghulam Ahmad grew up loyal and obedient to the colonialists in every sense. Thus he was chosen for the role of a so-called prophet, so that the Muslims would gather around him and he would distract them from waging jihaad against the English colonialists. The British government did lots of favours for them, so they were loyal to the British. Ghulam Ahmad was known among his followers to be unstable, with a lot of health problems and dependent on drugs.

Among those who confronted him and his evil da’wah was Shaykh Abu’l-Wafa’ Thana’ al-Amritsari, the leader of Jama’iyyat Ahl al-Hadeeth fi ‘Umoom al-Hind (The All-India Society of Ahl al-Hadeeth). The Shaykh debated with him and refuted his arguments, revealing his ulterior motives and Kufr and the deviation of his way. When Ghulam Ahmad did not come to his senses, Shaykh Abu’l-Wafa’ challenged him to come together and invoke the curse of Allaah, such that the one who was lying would die in the lifetime of the one who was telling the truth. Only a few days passed before Mirza Ghulam Ahmad al-Qadiani died, in 1908 CE, leaving behind more than fifty books, pamphlets and articles, among the most important of which are: Izaalat al-Awhaam (Dispelling illusions), I’jaaz Ahmadi (Ahmadi miracles), Baraaheen Ahmadiyyah (Ahmadi proofs), Anwaar al-Islam (Lights of Islam), I’jaaz al-Maseeh (Miracles of the Messiah), al-Tableegh (Conveying (the message))and Tajalliyyaat Ilaahiyyah (Divine manifestations).

Noor al-Deen (Nuruddin): the first Khaleefah of the Qadianis. The British put the crown of Khilaafah on his head, so the disciples (of Ghulam Ahmad) followed him. Among his books is: Fasl al-Khitaab (Definitive statement).

Muhammad Ali and Khojah Kamaal al-Deen: the two leaders of the Lahore Qadianis. They are the ones who gave the final shape to the movement. The former produced a distorted translation into English of the Qur’aan. His other works include: Haqeeqat al-Ikhtilaaf (The reality of differences), al-Nubuwwah fi’l-Islam (Prophethood in Islam) and al-Deen al-Islami (The Islamic religion). As for Khojah Kamaal al-Deen, he wrote a book called al-Mathal al-A’laa fi’l-Anbiya’ (The highest example of the Prophets), and other books. This Lahore group of Ahmadis are those who think of Ghulam Ahmad as a Mujaddid (renewer or reviver of Islam) only, but both groups are viewed as a single movement because odd ideas that are not seen in the one will surely be found in the other.

Muhammad Ali: the leader of the Lahore Qadianis. He was one of those who gave the final shape to Qadianiyyah, a colonialist spy and the person in charge of the magazine which was the voice of the Qadianiyyah. He also produced a distorted translation into English of the Qur’aan. Among his works are Haqeeqat al-Ikhtilaaf (The reality of differences), and al-Nubuwwah fi’l-Islam (Prophethood in Islam), as stated above.

Muhammad Saadiq, the mufti of the Qadianiyyah. His works include: Khatim al-Nabiyyeen The seal of the Prophets).

Basheer Ahmad ibn Ghulam. His works include: Seerat al-Mahdi (the life of the Mahdi) and Kalimat al-Fasl (Decisive word).

Mahmood Ahmad ibn Ghulam, his second Khaleefah. Among his works are: Anwaar al-Khilaafah (Lights of the caliphate), Tuhfat al-Mulook and Haqeeqat al-Nubuwwah (The reality of prophethood).

The appointment of the Qadiani Zafar-Allaah Khan as the first Foreign Minister of Pakistan had a major effect in supporting this deviant sect, as he gave them a large area in the province of the Punjab to be their world headquarters, which they named Rabwah (high ground) as in the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “… And We gave them refuge on high ground (rabwah), a place of rest, security and flowing streams.” [al-Mu’minoon 23:50].

Their thought and beliefs

Ghulam Ahmad began his activities as an Islamic daa’iyah (caller to Islam) so that he could gather followers around him, then he claimed to be a mujaddid inspired by Allaah. Then he took a further step and claimed to be the Awaited Mahdi and the Promised Messiah. Then he claimed to be a Prophet and that his prophethood was higher than that of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

The Qadianis believe that Allaah fasts, prays, sleeps, wakes up, writes, makes mistakes and has intercourse – exalted be Allaah far above all that they say.

The Qadiani believes that his god is English because he speaks to him in English.

The Qadianis believe that Prophethood did not end with Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), but that it is ongoing, and that Allaah sends a messenger when there is a need, and that Ghulam Ahmad is the best of all the Prophets.

They believe that Jibreel used to come down to Ghulam Ahmad and that he used to bring revelation to him, and that his inspirations are like the Qur’aan.

They say that there is no Qur’aan other than what the “Promised Messiah” (Ghulam Ahmad) brought, and no hadeeth except what is in accordance with his teachings, and no Prophet except under the leadership of Ghulam Ahmad.

They believe that their book was revealed. Its name is al-Kitaab al-Mubeen and it is different from the Holy Qur’aan.

They believe that they are followers of a new and independent religion and an independent Sharee’ah, and that the friends of Ghulam are like the Sahaabah.

They believe that Qadian is like Madeenah and Makkah, if not better than them, and that its land is sacred. It is their Qiblah and the place they make hajj to.

They called for the abolition of jihaad and blind obedience to the British government because, as they claimed, the British were “those in authority” as stated in the Qur’aan.

In their view every Muslim is a Kaafir unless he becomes a Qadiani, and everyone who married a non-Qadiani is also a kaafir.

They allow alcohol, opium, drugs and intoxicants.

Intellectual and ideological roots

The westernizing movement of Sir Sayyid Ahmad Khan paved the way for the emergence of the Qadianiyyah, because it had already spread deviant ideas.

The British made the most of this opportunity so they started the Qadiani movement and chose a man from a family that had a history of being agents of the colonialists.

In 1953 CE, there was a popular revolution in Pakistan which demanded the removal of Zafar-Allaah Khan from the position of Foreign Minister and that the Qadiani sect should be regarded as a non-Muslim minority. In this uprising around ten thousand Muslims were martyred, and they succeeded in having the Qadiani minister removed from office.

In Rabee’ al-Awwal 1394 AH (April 1974), a major conference was held by the Muslim World League in Makkah, which was attended by representatives of Muslim organizations from around the world. This conference announced that this sect is Kaafir and is beyond the pale of Islam, and told Muslims to resist its dangers and not to cooperate with the Qadianis or bury their dead in Muslim graveyards.

The Majlis al-Ummah in Pakistan (the central parliament) debated with the Qadiani leader Mirza Naasir Ahmad, and he was refuted by Shaykh Mufti Mahmood (may Allaah have mercy on him). The debate went on for nearly thirty hours but Naasir Ahmad was unable to give answers and the Kufr of this group was exposed, so the Majlis issued a statement that the Qadianis should be regarded as a non-Muslim minority.

Among the factors that make Mirza Ghulam Ahmad an obvious Kaafir are the following:

His claim to be a Prophet

His abolition of the duty of jihaad, to serve the interests of the colonialists.
2. His saying that people should no longer go on Hajj to Makkah, and his substitution of Qadian as the place of pilgrimage.

His anthropomorphism or likening Allaah to human beings.

His belief in the transmigration of souls and incarnation.

His attributing a son to Allaah and his claim to be the son of God.

His denying that Prophethood ended with Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his regarding the door of Prophethood to be open to “any Tom, Dick or Harry”.

The Qadianis have strong ties with Israel. Israel has opened centres and schools for them, and helped them to publish a magazine which is their mouthpiece, to print books and publications for distribution worldwide.

The fact that they are influenced by Judaism, Christianity and al-Baatiniyyah is clear from their beliefs and practices, even though they claim to be Muslims.

Their spread and positions of influence

Most of the Qadianis nowadays live in India and Pakistan, with a few in Israel and the Arab world. They are trying, with the help of the colonialists, to obtain sensitive positions in all the places where they live.

The Qadianis are very active in Africa and in some western countries. In Africa they have more than 5,000 teachers and dai’yahs working full-time to call people to Qadianiyyah. Their wide-spread activity proves that they have the support of the colonialists.

The British government is also supporting this movement and making it easy for their followers to get positions in world governments, corporate administration and consulates. Some of them are also high-ranking officers in the secret services.

In calling people to their beliefs, the Qadianis use all kinds of methods, especially educational means, because they are highly-educated and there are many scientists, engineers and doctors in their ranks. In Britain there is a satellite TV channel called Islamic TV which is run by the Qadianis.

From the above, it is clear that:

Qadianiyyah is a misguided group, which is not part of Islam at all. Its beliefs are completely contradictory to Islam, so Muslims should beware of their activities, since the ‘Ulama’ (scholars) of Islam have stated that they are Kaafirs.

For more information see: Al-Qadianiyyah by Ihsaan Ilaahi Zaheer.

(Translator’s note: this book is available in English under the title “Qadiyaniat: an analytical survey” by Ehsan Elahi Zaheer)

Reference: Al-Mawsoo’ah al-Muyassarah fi’l-Adyaan al-Madhaahib wa’l-Ahzaab al-Mu’aasirah by Dr. Maani’ Hammad al-Juhani, 1/419-423

The following statement was published by the Islamic Fiqh Council (Majma’ al-Fiqh al-Islami):

After discussing the question put to the Islamic Fiqh Council in Capetown, South Africa, concerning the ruling on the Qadianis and their off-shoot which is known as Lahoriyyah, and whether they should be counted as Muslims or not, and whether a non-Muslim is qualified to examine an issue of this nature:

In the light of research and documents presented to the members of the council concerning Mirza Ghulam Ahmad al-Qadiani, who emerged in India in the last century and to whom is attributed the Qadiani and Lahori movements, and after pondering the information presented on these two groups, and after confirming that Mirza Ghulam Ahmad claimed to be a prophet who received revelation, a claim which is documented in his own writings and speeches, some of which he claimed to have received as revelation, a claim which he propagated all his life and asked people to believe in, just as it is also well-known that he denied many other things which are proven to be essential elements of the religion of Islam

in the light of the above, the Council issued the following statement:

Firstly: the claims of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad to be a prophet or a messenger and to receive revelation are clearly a rejection of proven and essential elements of Islam, which unequivocally states that Prophethood ended with Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and that no revelation will come to anyone after him. This claim made by Mirza Ghulam Ahmad makes him and anyone who agrees with him an apostate who is beyond the pale of Islam. As for the Lahoriyyah, they are like the Qadianiyyah: the same ruling of apostasy applies to them despite the fact that they described Mirza Ghulam Ahmad as a shadow and manifestation of our Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Secondly: it is not appropriate for a non-Muslim court or judge to give a ruling on who is a Muslim and who is an apostate, especially when this goes against the consensus of the scholars and organizations of the Muslim Ummah. Rulings of this nature are not acceptable unless they are issued by a Muslim scholar who knows all the requirements for being considered a Muslim, who knows when a person may be deemed to have overstepped the mark and become an apostate, who understands the realities of Islam and kufr, and who has comprehensive knowledge of what is stated in the Qur’aan, Sunnah and scholarly consensus. The ruling of a court of that nature is invalid. And Allaah knows best.

Majma’ al-Fiqh al-Islami, p. 13

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

And Budda is not worshipped...they do not believe he is a god therefore the it was not an idol in the classical sense. Furthermore there were no Buddists worshipping the statue when it was destroyed. The sphinx represents a god of a polytheistic religion for goodness sakes!! What if people decide to start worshipping it? Should not this risk justify it's destruction too? And this is a Muslim run country we are talking about.

I feel we did more harm than good by destroying this statue. If any Buddist were ever curious about Islam I am sure this action completely turned them off to us. We offended Buddist by destroying this ancient work of art and it's reflects poorly on our manners. Why don't we begin destroying hindu temples in Pakistan while were at it? I mean they are actively worshipping false gods so is it our obligation to remove this offense? Or should we trust in the Quran when it states there is no compulsion in religion?

I know people are bringing up the story of Prophet MOhammed (pbuh) and the removal of idols form the Kabbah but that was the Kabbah. He did not go to other parts of Saudi and seek to destroy statues...only in a sacred place. Prophet Ibrahim (pbuh) destroyed the idols to prove that the rocks were not gods but simply rocks. The Buddhists did not think the statue was a living god or that they needed to worship it. So the comparisons are not sound.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Salaam,

DId not Ibrahim destroy the idols. We have to be very clear. Is it not written that we can not have images? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

i understand your point, but the thing is that we as muslims believe that. buddhists do not. american soldiers were accused of having flushed qurans down a toilet, and the muslim world was in an uproar. those buddha statues were important to a group of people. not to us of course, but who are we to destroy other people's things? if someone placed the statues in a masjid i would understand. we have to keep in mind the ayahs of sura kaffirun that say " to you be your way and to me be mine. "

:wasalam:

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

i also wanted to say that, if a muslim knows his deen, he can be surrounded by a million idols and not worship them because he is concious of the tawheed of ALLAH SWT. if gov't bans statues. pictures, and other things because of religion, are the people staying away from those things because they wanted to or was it because they believed that they should? for example the law in saudi says a man cannot be alone with a non related female. islam says that we shouldn't do that either. as a muslim i understand that prohibition, but should the saudi gov't be the ones to enforce it? most people there aren't breaking that law, but it's not really because they fear god, it's because they don't want to be lashed. can't the people be held accountable before god without the govt butting in?

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Wa salam Sarah

I'm sorry, Buddhism is a religion, not a philosophical school. Whether Buddha is originally a prophet is immaterial. It is only his current status that matters.

Your logic reminds me of this verse:

The companions asked the prophet: but they do not worship them, so the Prophet answered: They put their words over that of God (by obeying them in things which they made lawful or unlawful according to their own desires without being ordered by Allâh). This is rather similar to the status of Buddha.

Those statues are not being currently worshiped nor was sphinx at the time of muslim conquer to Egypt, therefore the comparison if wrong.

It is not ignorant to embark on spreading monotheism and the so called "world opinion" does not matter. Multiple Islamic sites have been destroyed (Babri Mosque) or are being destroyed (Aqsa) and the world does not seem to care about it.

Islam is about saving humanity not rocks and we should not compromise on this task. When the prophet (pbuh) entered Makkah, he readily forgived all her people but did not leave one idol standing. This is our mission and our message. What use is Islam if we compromised on this ?

here is the error in your argument: you stated that the statues are not currently being worshipped. that may be true, but there still are millions of buddhists in the world. we can't get angry at people flushing qurans down toilets, drawing the prophet (pbuh ) as a terrorist; while there are muslims destroying other religions holy sites. in today's world we shouldn't be destroying other peoples shrines because we don't believe in them. how can you ever win over the hearts of people to islam while doing that?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Forgive me...but in a Muslim land is it not wrong to have symbols that represent a likeness to gods. Is this not setting a rival to Allah subhana talla?
Is it not true that these humongous tributes to a man are a rival to the Divine One?
In this debate we seem to be concentrating on the duyna. We need to please Allah subhana talla. We are fingerpointing at Muslims. That is my issue. Why?
In a very strict sense we really do not need anything but the Kaaba. Our purpose is to remember Allah subhana talla. We do not need to worry about other relics for they will turn to dust.
In a very strict sense by visiting the relics of Ancient Egypt are we not honoring the evil works of the Pharoh?
Once again, I ask are we clear on where we stand...one day we will be standing before the Only One...
Once again I thank you for reading my simple post and I ask forgiveness from Allah for my limited intellect.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Salamu alaykum,
i agree akhi with u 100%. I would have said myself that destroying something that is used as shirk to Allah as being a good deed, because of the hadeeth "who sees an evil, he should stop it with his hand, and if not then by his mouth and if not then by his heart, even though that is the weakest form of iman". But alhamdlulillah ,ur right. They destroyed something that other people use to worship and commit shirk, yet the taliban have statues over graves that they themselves praise and have not destroyed them. I believe that it was done just to anger the west, not as a result of tawheed. Barakallahu feek

Oh didnt the taliban kill scholars of ahlissunna wal jamat? Cause if heard soemthing like that....

Allah knows best

Assalamu alaykum

:salam2:

Yes they killed Shaykh Jamil ur-Rahman, who was a great Scholar from Afghanistan. He had studied under many of the big Muhaditheen Scholars in Makkah and Madinah and he returned back to AFghanistan to be the Amir of the Jihad there.

He had many good Students who fought and did Jihad alongside him against the Russians. After the Russians were defeated, the Northern Alliance, Taliban and other groups started fighting.

Before they all said they were united, although obviously Shaykh Jamil Ur-Rahman was strict and didnt unite with the people of Kufr.

unfortunately, today many Muslims dont know what the true way of following ISlam is. THey are happy to write their own fatawa, happy to sit and be jolly with those who oppose Allah... just because someone is critical of Israel, Bush, or even people who spend their time talking bad about Muslim rulers or something stupid and unislamic like that.

Shaykh Jamil Ur-Rahman wanted Afghanistan to be a true Islamic country which implemented Shariah according to the Quran and Sunnah and understanding of the Salaf Salih. FIRST He wanted education of Tawheed and erradication of Shirk. This is something the ignorant Taliban elders and those from the Northern Alliance hated. They would rather have Sufism and their Cultural interpretation of Islam to stay.

In the end, they had fight, they wanted kill the "Wahabi" people. So, they killed the Shaykh and tried killing his family. They also killed many of the students of the Shaykh and if they were in Mosque and saw someone raising their hands or moving their finger (as is the correct way to pray!! according to the Quran and SUnnah), they would point them out and have them taken away for interrogation.

This was in the 80s.

This is why Taliban was not really implementing Shariah, but their own cultural interpretation. One which was a mixture of Afghan tribalism and sufism. Thats not to say All the Taliban are the same, but the majority and the movement itself is like this.

The evidence is in their actions. No proper call to tawheed and eradication of Shirk and Bid'ah. The Tombs, Temples and stupidity continued and still continues today. They also for some odd reason did not like girls and women to be educated and beat people for not having beards or not wearing the Burka properly.

This is not ISlamic or Shariah. Islam is Religion of Ease and Mercy. The first thing they should have concentrated on was educating the People and to really follow Quran and SUnnah. But, that was not really going to be as they killed the only Salafi Amir of Mujahideen there.

So, here we have a thread debating about their blowing up the Budha statues and people rushing to congratulate the ignorant people who did that. It was also due to their ignorance that they allowed AlQaeda to stay and train in AFghanistan. This is not brotherhood. Islam does not say keep Muslims safe who want time and a place to practise how to kill innocent people.

wasalam.

Status
Not open for further replies.