distraction during salat

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

don’t you hate it when you get distracted during your salat? i know i do!!! it seems that everything is fine and well before it’s time for salat. then, all of a sudden, you begin to feel sleepy, begin to yawn, break wind, burp, or the telephone rings. why do these things happen? is it because you are lacking Imaan ( faith ) ? no, it’s not that. they are the evil tricks of the Shaytaan ( devil ) .

why does he make these distractions for us? the answer is quite simple. he distracts us because he is our sworn enemy. the Shaytaan’s greatest desire is to lead mankind away from Allah SWT. he knows, that through salat, mankind has the ability to connect with their Lord. he also knows that if mankind connects with their Lord, they cannot be swayed by his evil. he doesn’t want jannah to be our home in the akhirah ( afterlife ), he wants our home to be jahannam ( hellfire ) .

there are some muslims that believe that these distractions were due to their lack of faith. how can it be? they pray, give zakat, fast during ramadan, have made hajj, and have said LAA ILLAH ILLA LAA. so i beg to differ. they seem to be on the right path towards Allah SWT. it is for that reason, the Shaytaan wishes to distract them. he doesn’t distract those that are unbelievers, people that forget their prayers, people that hate Allah SWT or his messenger Muhammad pbuh. he has already won their hearts over. he is only trying to distract those that are striving for jannah. therefore, we have to remember a saying of our beloved prophet Muhammad pbuh “ Shaytaan is your enemy, take him as one. “ .

i have battled with these distractions for a long time now, but during my salat, i realized something. what i realized has helped my repel these terrible distractions.

1. when i begin, i keep in mind that to my right and to my left there are angels watching my salat. by knowing this i am inspired, SubhanAllah.

2. when i look down, i am constantly reminded of the people of the fire. it’s a constant reminder, that when i skip prayers or do wicked things, i too can end up like them, if i do not live a life pleasing to Allah SWT.

3. i also keep in mind that Allah SWT is everywhere and that He knows all that i do and what i am going to do, when in salat i feel as if He is above me, watching me, and observing the sincerity of my salat.

4. when i glimpse ahead, i imagine seeing the main goal in my life. that goal is to reach jannah al-firdaus inshAllah, when i vision that and say to myself, if i keep on the straight path, this beautiful place will be mine!!!

it’s these things that keep me focused in salat. these things that keep me focused on Allah SWT.

also there was a saying that i heard. i don’t remember if it was the Prophet pbuh or that of an islamic scholar, but it went like this:

when a believer in Allah SWT dies, it is like a man who has been away for a long time, and is finally going home to see his family. when an unbeliever or the wicked die, it’s like a runaway slave, returning to his slave-master.
?
:wasalam:

nyerekareem

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
Subhanallah!! Sometimes I have the same problem, and I kept asking different people how do stay focused in their prayer, and then after a few days, this post comes along, mashallah. Its true Shaytan want to distract us from our prayers, that is part of his job, to distract us fromt he remembrance of Allah. We have to try to stay strong, and seek refuge inshallah. Those were good ideas you had, mashallah. And by the way, Allah is not everywhere, he is above the heavens, Alhamdullilah!! Jazakallahu Khairan!

Ummzaina

Jazaakallah khairen for posting this topic.
I have read and heard from people that they concentrate so well in prayer that they even cry as they pray, and I used to wonder what it takes to reach that level of concentration.

I used to think that this happens because I am too attached to worldly things that all of a sudden in the middle of salat I will remember something I had forgotten to do or forgotten to tell my husband or some other thing and I get distracted.
I used to feel guilty for not reaching such a level of concentration as I keep questioning my level of faith, if it had something to do with it??!!Now that you have reminded us, you are so right the Shaytaan is doing these things to take us away from Allah swt.
I always remember that shaytan is our enemy and try to do many things that would take me away from it, but when it comes to salat I forget that he is still our enemy, and that he will work harder on us faithful than those who disbelieve.

abdulboji

I was suffering from this problem in the past because I don't have good fairing of Allah ,, but when i stronged my fairing from Allah this gone .

my recommend is to fair Allah , and remeber that in prayer you are standing in front of Great Creator and don't let thinking in worldly things these things will go sooner or later .

may Allah straight us in his path .

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam
It has been said that the Holy Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) has said that whilst you are praying: Imagine that all the prophets are on your right side, all the angels on your left, heaven in front of you, hell below you, the angel of death at your back and Allah (subhanahu wa Ta'ala) watching over you.
salam

umm_3abida

tricks of Shaytan

i also had and have this happening. but since i started thinking about this after i talked to my husband, i do this less and less, and when i get distracted very quickly i notice this and coming back to salat and Allah subhana wa Ta'ala, but this isnt the weakness of fath :inshallah: its tricks of Shaytan, so before we start our salat i believe we always should say Audhu Billahi min alshaytani rajeem
also when i pray, i try to think in the meaning of the sura and all ayat i am pronouncing. it helps a lot. since it becomes not only words we say automatically, we must mean them :inshallah:

:jazaak:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
salam
It has been said that the Holy Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) has said that whilst you are praying: Imagine that all the prophets are on your right side, all the angels on your left, heaven in front of you, hell below you, the angel of death at your back and Allah (subhanahu wa Ta'ala) watching over you.
salam

:salam2: sister

I actually tried this when I read it on your thread..and mashallah it worked..I even cried..

many people recommend that you slow down when you recite the suras so you comprehend the words..some say read Qura'an a short while before prayer..because then you stand for prayer in a pure spirit..others recommend that while standing at the prayer rug..before you start the prayer..for a few minutes repeat something like..*subhanallah*..*allahu akbar*..or *ya allah*..a bit loudly to yourself..so it's like meditating on the name of Allah (swt) and that can help you focus

for me..I find that I focus more in prayers when it's a darker part of the day (I know it's weird!)..like maghrib..Isha..witr..fajr..times like that

but I do have one question..

can you close your eyes during the prayer if you feel that will make you focuse more?..I always get different answers for that..if somebody knows..can you please let us know?

Jazakom Allah Khair..

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalaamu'Alykum,

Jazakallahu Khayran for the information.

I find the best way to concentrate and helps me to focus is reciting out loud, on my own though. Its difficult because its a Sunnah to recite quietly in Zuhr & Asr. Some of the tricks you mentioned are obvious, although when the time comes for prayer, its best to renew your Wudhu, you feel fresh too. As Wudhu repels some of the things you mentioned. Now renewing my Wudhu for each Salah has become a necessity. I feel quite unclean if i dont.

I think in a way does come down to Iman as when your reciting you will feel that connection with Allah (S.W.T) or you will be focused. And this sort of thing does come down to Iman. Think about, when i started to pray, all i thought it was obligatory and my mum made me pray, thats it. I didnt relise why i was doing it or anything. Then when you start to increase your knowledge in Islam and do more acts of worship, it helps you too understand why your praying, your focused on your goal and what you want to avoid, your scared of the fact that may be punished in the grave or enter the hell fire. Only you feel this and cant be described, like you make just start crying in your Salah or when you are making a Dua. This out of the fear of Allah (S.W.T) and the basis of the crying is because of high your Iman is.

My brief opinion on that. Inshallah i made sense, and if i didnt, well i guess i didnt. Sorry if i went off topic, wasnt the idea, but its how i intepreted it.

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam
I try to read or to listen for the Quran before the prayer ,It helps to be concentrated most and also the hadith that I mentioned above
salam

Saeed O.J

Do people in the past can have better concentration during prayers?

I think the advises from the brothers is very useful...jazakum Allah khair.

There were a muslim elder who was very ill indeed. He suffered from certain trauma that affected his both legs. Many knowledgable people in the past who were familiar with different way provide the cure to different diseases. In the case of the old man, people told him that the only result to stop dying is to amputate both legs. However there wasn't general or local anesthetic for this surgical procedure. The old man said '' Ok, but the only way for you to amputate my legs is during my Su'juud''.. The man began praying. Once he reached to suj'uud, they amputated his both legs.... Its a long story. But I just want to draw to your attention, can we ever reach this limit of concentration in our prayers. This procedure is so painful, but the old man didnt feel anything because his soul was with Allah (SWT), can feel anything, can't hear anything.. Subhanallah!!!