Divorce my DH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

Chapter 6 : HE WHO ASSOCIATES ONE AS AN OBJECT OF WORSHIP WITH ALLAH IN HIS DEEDS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Book 42, Number 7114:
Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as stating that Allah the Most High and Exalted said:
I am the One, One Who does not stand in need of a partner.If anyone does anything in which he associates anyone else with Me,
I shall abandon him with one whom he associates with Allah.

MAY ALLAH PROTECT US FROM KUFR AND SHIRK.

ShyHijabi

Well if we haven't run her off it will be a miracle. I see a lot of statements but no questions...so assumptions have been made.

To the original poster:

Have you spoken to your husband about Islam? What did he say?

Can you possibly visit a mosque with your husband and you both speak to an Imam together to get a clearer picture of Islam?

Most of the fatwas issued here are about a Muslim woman marrying a non-Muslim man so I don't feel they directly address her question. There are stories of women converting during the Prophet's time and their husbands following suit, some of these husbands took a long time to convert but these women didn't divorce them. SO the question we needed answered is thus: If a woman is already married BEFORE conversion what if the Fiqh on that?

~Sarah

muslimguy

Well if we haven't run her off it will be a miracle. I see a lot of statements but no questions...so assumptions have been made.

To the original poster:

Can you possibly visit a mosque with your husband and you both speak to an Imam together to get a clearer picture of Islam?

Most of the fatwas issued here are about a Muslim woman marrying a non-Muslim man so I don't feel they directly address her question. There are stories of women converting during the Prophet's time and their husbands following suit, some of these husbands took a long time to convert but these women didn't divorce them. SO the question we needed answered is thus: If a woman is already married BEFORE conversion what if the Fiqh on that?

~Sarah

:salam2: sister could you please provide some evidence of the information you have provided? jazaki Allah Khairan.

:salam2:

msrebgui

Sister what the imam has told you is true as I had a friend of mine that was in the same exact situation as you are in and this is what she was told and received proof of it. Sister the main thing is that you convert to Islam first, this is most important. When you convert then everything else will fall into place. Be patient learn Islam and when you gain more knowledge this will strengthen your faith and turn you to the correct path. If you want to talk or learn more about Islam you can pm me InshAllah.

May Allah(Swt) guide you to Islam and make things easy for you Ameen

ShyHijabi

sister could you please provide some evidence of the information you have provided? jazaki Allah Khairan.

The question and answer I am about to post is an abbreviated part of the fatwa and explanation behind it. If you want to read the whole fatwa and reasonsing look here....http://aawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=3&id=4678

Q) So are you saying that women who converted to Islam can remain married to their non-Muslim husbands, but that a Muslim woman marrying a non-Muslim man is forbidden?

Of course, before issuing the edict, I had to undertake a lot of research concerning Islamic law, particularly by reading books on Islamic jurisprudence that were written at certain historical intervals. All the past fatwas that prohibited the marriage of Muslim women to non-Muslim men were issued during periods in which political disputes between Muslims and non-Muslims were taking place. On the other hand, I could not find a single word that prohibited such marriage in either the Quran or the Sunnah

A) No, I had spoken previously about this type of marriage and I believe that marriage between a Muslim woman and a non-Muslim man is valid since nothing in the Quran or Sunnah dictates otherwise. The decision should also be based on the individuality of each case therefore; I cannot say this type of marriage is prohibited based on the accumulated teachings of past scholars.

These teachings for example tell us that Ijmaa (consensus) is the consensus of jurists at any given age but the Quran says is different. The same accumulated sayings of scholars also recommended that we should obey the ruler even if he seized power by force. The Quran does not approve of this. We should always refer to the origins that are Quran and Sunnah.

Keep in mind this doesn not contradict the prohibition of marrying Muslim women to non-Muslims. Rather it specifically addresses how a woman who is already married and then converts.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

dianek

To the original poster:

~Sarah

God Bless you for simplfiying that to the correct point!!!!!!!! I was feeling as though others were ignoring the fact that they were ALREADY married!!!!!

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

“then if you ascertain that they are true believers send them not back to the disbelievers. They are not lawful (wives) for the disbelievers nor are the disbelievers lawful (husbands) for them”

[al-Mumtahanah 60:10]

MAYBE THE SCHOLAR CHOSE TO IGNORE THIS.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

i remember reading once that if a married non-muslim woman becomes a muslim, while her husband does not, the marriage is still valid. the reasoning was that islam upon taking the shahadah wipes away one's sins prior to islam. that if she were unmarried at the time of her conversion, then she would be obligated to marry a muslim man. there are some that say that she must divorce the husband. it is a tough situation indeed.

dear sister, i implore you to at least say your shahadah. if your were willing to say the shahadah, that means that you believe islam is the truth. there are things that ALLAH SWT has made haram that may be hard for us as human beings to understand,but we must obey. there are many of us here on this site that have lost family, friends, husbands, wives, jobs, education because we embraced islam. we fought the good fight because we have been revealed the truth and that truth is islam.

i can't tell you what to do, but i say that you should be patient and give your husband time to embrace islam. don't let the opinion of one imam discourage you. seek more advice from different scholars. again be patient. i believe that you believe islam is the truth. but be mindful that your eternal soul is at stake. if you become muslim, forget the whole marriage isssue for a second. ask yourself, would my husband be able to adjust to me praying 5 times a day, fasting during ramadan, wearing hijab, not wearing makeup or listening to music? to me, these are the biggest issues. people have gotten married because of each other's piety; and some marriages ended because the husband wanted to watch tv instead of praying, wanting to eat during ramadan, buy huge tv instead of giving in zakat etc. in other words do you think that your marriage can work out while you two are living different lives? that's the main idea, i think the marriage to a non muslim situation should be given patience, but if your lives begin to part, then i would leave. because we have to put god before loved ones and desires.

may ALLAH SWT guide you

:wasalam:

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

THIS IS THE ONLY PRACTCAL WY. REST IN ALLAHS HND .I THINK MAYBE SHAYA CAN DELAY HER CONVERSION TILL SHE &HER HUSBAND ARE READY.

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

[dear sister, i implore you to at least say your shahadah. if your were willing to say the shahadah, that means that you believe islam is the truth. there are things that ALLAH SWT has made haram that may be hard for us as human beings to understand,but we must obey. there are many of us here on this site that have lost family, friends, husbands, wives, jobs, education because we embraced islam. we fought the good fight because we have been revealed the truth and that truth is islam.

/QUOTE]

MAY ALLAH bless nyerekareem we ll can relate to that .alhamdullilllah.

i can't tell you what to do, but i say that you should be patient and give your husband time to embrace islam. don't let the opinion of one imam discourage you. seek more advice from different scholars. again be patient. i believe that you believe islam is the truth. but be mindful that your eternal soul is at stake. if you become muslim, forget the whole marriage isssue for a second. ask yourself, would my husband be able to adjust to me praying 5 times a day, fasting during ramadan, wearing hijab, not wearing makeup or listening to music? to me, these are the biggest issues. people have gotten married because of each other's piety; and some marriages ended because the husband wanted to watch tv instead of praying, wanting to eat during ramadan, buy huge tv instead of giving in zakat etc. in other words do you think that your marriage can work out while you two are living different lives? that's the main idea, i think the marriage to a non muslim situation should be given patience, but if your lives begin to part, then i would leave. because we have to put god before loved ones and desires.

may ALLAH SWT guide you
and us tooo

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
I went to the Musjid 2 fridays ago and was told by the Imam I had to divorce my DH if he did not convert in 3 months.
Needless to say I wouldn't take the Shahada and left mad at how I was delt with.
Is this customary for Islam? Am I supposed to divorce my husband?

Are you sure it was a Imam who told you to divorce you husband not some brother who dress up to look like a imam sis? Because as long as i know that is haram... i mean to tell one person to divorce another person no matter what the case is plus it is non of his business. It is between you and Allah althought it is wrong to do that (correct me if i am wrong). At the end you might be right... Allah did brought you to your husband to help him convert or might he is think about and you are the last piece of the puzzle. Rather ways sis i don't have enough knowldge so good luck and might Allah help you decide the right choice. Remember everything happens by Allah's will.:hijabi:

samiha

---------
Staff member

I dont have time at point to go through this thread, but I'd like to remind everyone that we are NOT scholars, and therefore we canNOT give our own fatawa.

We might think it's a harmless thing, but wallahi it's not.

The Sahabah used to fear ! Fear giving fatawa without knowledge in case they were wrong.

It's one thing to voice an "opinion" but another when it comes to mandating or allowing something in Islaam. Islaam is submission, in this it doesnt really MATTER what we THINK or FEEL.

Just at this point, the only example I can think of was Abdullah ibn Umar, extract below:

In spite of his close observance of the Prophet's actions, Abdullah was extremely cautious, even afraid, of reporting the sayings of the Prophet. He would only relate a hadith if he was completely sure that he remembered every word of it. One of his contemporaries said:

"Among the companions of the Prophet, no one was more cautious about adding to or subtracting from the hadith of the Prophet than Abdullah ibn Umar."

Similarly he was extremely cautious and reluctant to make legal judgments (fatwas).' Once someone came to him asking for a judgment on a particular matter and Abdullah ibn Umar replied: "I have no knowledge of what you ask." The man went on his way and Abdullah clapped his hands in glee and said to himself: "The son of Umar was asked about what he does not know and he said: I do not know."

Because of this attitude he was reluctant to be a qadi even though he was well qualified to be one. The position of qadi was one of the most important and esteemed offices in the Muslim society and state bringing with it honor, glory and even riches but he declined this position when it was offered him by the Khalifah Uthman. His reason for so doing was not that he underestimated the importance of the position of qadi but because of his fear of committing errors of judgment in matters pertaining to Islam. Uthman made him agree not to disclose his decision lest it might influence the many other companions of the Prophet who actually performed the duties of judges and juris consults.

How many of us nowadays have that attitude?

Everyone wants to push their opinions, have their say... well Ibad'Allah... make sure you fear Allah when saying anything.

This matter is not for us to say after it has been declared by a scholar. If you still are confused, go to another Imam. I see no more point in this thread continuing, fatwa have been provided, I suppose other evidence has as well, though I have not had chance to go through it, therefore:

Thread Closed -------

wasalam

Status
Not open for further replies.