Do Muslims, Jews & Christians worship the same God?

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just want to clear up the Trinity issue:

Most who call themselves Christians believe that there is one God.
However, the history of God's imminence in the world is not one dimensional. There are three main aspects of God's work that we talk about. One, that He created the world, another, that He entered the world clothed in a human body, and another, that He guides people and intervenes in the events of the world via revelations, visions, miracles e.t.c. (the Holy Spirit). When focusing on the idea that God created the world, we (and we believe Jesus did too) call Him 'the Father'. This doesn't mean He isn't other things as well. Does not the Koran refer to God with 99 names, all refering to different aspects of His character? When talking about 'God the Son', we don't mean that God literally conceived a child in the same way as His creations do - how could that be when we believe that this 'Word' (another name) 'was with God' and 'was God' even 'in the beginning', before the world? (See John 1-6). Instead, part of Him, that wasn't created by another, took on the features of this creation and entered the world rather as children do. At this time, the part of God in Heaven (whom Jesus called 'Father', as the human body was a creation and Jesus was in a state of lessened power) and the part of Him on Earth, were still of the same essence. The term is a way of expressing something of the unique situation so that humans can at least partially comprehend it. We don't pretend it's straightforward. ;)

Only Catholics pray to Saints, and they don't do it in the same way as they pray to God directly. They would deny that they 'worship' them. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I know they don't see it as worship.

There are other groups such as the Jehova's Witnesses, who believe that Jesus was a creation of the Father, but by the definitions of most others who believe in the Bible's inerrancy, they are not Christians. There probably are some who think of the Trinity as three completely different individuals, but that is not the official line that denominations I know of hold.

Hello,

To your question about the aspect in the Qur'an when you ask:
Does not the Koran refer to God with 99 names, all refering to different aspects of His character?
The Qur'an does refer to the different attributes of Allah however, this has no similarity to what the christians try to draw.
By the way, both the Noble Qur'an and the Bible claim that GOD Almighty is an Absolute One and only One:

"Say: He is God, the One and Only; God, the Eternal, Absolute; He begetteth not, nor is He begotten; And there is none like unto Him. (The Noble Quran, 112:1-4)"

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. (From the NIV Bible, Deuteronomy 6:4)"

"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. (From the NIV Bible, Mark 12:29)"

Notice also how Jesus said "our God", which included him to be under GOD Almighty's creation and Divine Authority, and not someone or an entity that is equal to GOD Almighty.

The Bible's New Testament also records Jesus saying: ""Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good–except God alone." (From the NIV Bible, Mark 10:18)"

If Jesus doesn't consider himself as "good", then how can any sane person put him on the same level as GOD Almighty?

Jesus in this verse is clearly giving exclusivity to GOD Almighty when he said "alone". If Jesus was truly part of GOD Almighty and/or the trinity lie was true, then Jesus, to say the least, would not have said that.

Myself I feel your analogy doesn't even work, no matter how you try to give an explanataion. By making an Angel and a Prophet a part of God (Authubillah, God forbid) in the most simple and natural understanding of every human being, that does not enter in any reasonable mind to my opnion. Even though you can make excuses that God Almighty (and I mean the Creator, the One and Only - distinguishing from Jesus - peace be upon him and the angel Gabriel, just to explain where we as muslims stand on that issue) is capable of everything (which is true that He is All-Powerful) however, I can simply answer by telling you that no weak attribute can be ascribed to Allah (God Almighty) such as eating, sleeping and suffering; that is simply not God to me.

And even though you have in your own Bible where Jesus (Eesa- that is is his name - peace be upon him) clearly stated that there for ex.:
"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. (From the NIV Bible, Mark 12:29)" I can't simply understand how you even dare to use or even take the analogy of people instead of the teachings of the one (Jesus- peace be upon him) who brought you the Message, which you believe is from God, but maybe you are simply not aware of this danger you play with.

I would like to know, what is your personal belief, in your heart what do you believe yourself, not what the different doctrines of the christians try to explain?! I am very curious to know :).

Thank you in advance.

M

magnusfe

I don't think so because if it were so then a conversation from one religion to another would not be necessary

islam god has no son, jews only believe in half part of the bibel and so they only believe in half of the bibel god

Dear Onlyone,
As salaamu alaikum.
Yes the Jews , Christians and the muslims spring from the same root. Ibrahim (Abraham) Alaihis Salaam. If you ponder over history. you will be clear. That Ibrahim was the grand father of Yacoob (Jacob) Alaihis Salaam, who was also known as Israeel(Israel). His children were the Banee Israeel(or the 'Children of Israel'-Banee means Children -the Jews). Esa (Jesus) Alaihis Salaam was the last messenger of Allah among the Jews. The Jews rejected him. So he had a following who were called the Christians. He said Ya Huwa - meaning 'Oh He' similar to the first line of Ayatul kursi - Since Arabic and Aramaic (or Hebrew, the language of the Jews ) are from the same root. The Christians converted the Ya (when English became a popular language, sometime during the 11th century AD) into Je and called Jehovah. Even they translated Esa into Jesus (Allah only knows, who? gave them that authority!!). Any way. do u know that there is a sect in Christianity called the Unitarians(Who believe in the Unity of Allah!). So Jehovah (God the Father(of the Christians)), Yehowah (the God of the Jews) and Allah all are the name of one one God - ie the God of Abraham.
Coming to the point Whether the Christians would go to heaven or hell, well we cannot judge them. But we can tell that they wouldnt because they commit Shirk (by including Esa alaihis Salaam and Jibraeel Alaihis Salaam in the divinity). We have to tell them that. It is always better for us to talk to them as the God of Abraham (Alaihis Salaam) when we talk to them. I have a christian freind (actually he was my math teacher) and whenever we have discussions about religion we refer to Allah as the God of Abraham (Alaihis Salaam). He doesnot have any objection to this, and I think alla the christians would not have objection when we refer to Allah as the God of Abram(Alaihis Salaam). Ofcourse we as muslims dont have objection when we refer Allah as the God of Abraham (Alaihis Salaam).

msameer

Just want to clear up the Trinity issue:

Most who call themselves Christians believe that there is one God.
However, the history of God's imminence in the world is not one dimensional. There are three main aspects of God's work that we talk about. One, that He created the world, another, that He entered the world clothed in a human body, and another, that He guides people and intervenes in the events of the world via revelations, visions, miracles e.t.c. (the Holy Spirit). When focusing on the idea that God created the world, we (and we believe Jesus did too) call Him 'the Father'. This doesn't mean He isn't other things as well. Does not the Koran refer to God with 99 names, all refering to different aspects of His character? When talking about 'God the Son', we don't mean that God literally conceived a child in the same way as His creations do - how could that be when we believe that this 'Word' (another name) 'was with God' and 'was God' even 'in the beginning', before the world? (See John 1-6). Instead, part of Him, that wasn't created by another, took on the features of this creation and entered the world rather as children do. At this time, the part of God in Heaven (whom Jesus called 'Father', as the human body was a creation and Jesus was in a state of lessened power) and the part of Him on Earth, were still of the same essence. The term is a way of expressing something of the unique situation so that humans can at least partially comprehend it. We don't pretend it's straightforward. ;)

Only Catholics pray to Saints, and they don't do it in the same way as they pray to God directly. They would deny that they 'worship' them. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I know they don't see it as worship.

There are other groups such as the Jehova's Witnesses, who believe that Jesus was a creation of the Father, but by the definitions of most others who believe in the Bible's inerrancy, they are not Christians. There probably are some who think of the Trinity as three completely different individuals, but that is not the official line that denominations I know of hold.

Although Br. Ibn Azem has summed up the issue pretty well I would like to add the following.

1. Trinity is paul's innovation into christianity. That is the reason that you can never find a direct and un-equivocal reference to trinity in the old testament or in Jesus's own words in the bible.

2. Secondly, Whatever vain attempts the christians might make to logically explain trinity they will not succeed. Simply because the whole concept is totally illogical. If the christian answers one question, 10 more difficult ones can be put forth to him for which he will have no answer.

3. An open minded and objective study of the bible will prove that trinity is an innovation and interpolation by paul into the true religion of Jesus Christ (PBUH).

4. This topic if required can be discussed in detail with references and proof from the bible, but in a separate thread.

Thanks

apocalypse77

The same thing can be said with the Jews but for Christians..well maybe yes if youre talking about God the Father although if u realise in the bible theres this phrase "Lets fashion man out of our own image" .The first thing I ask myself is "Is the Christian god really a crazed narcissist?" and I find this a blasphemy because the Quran affirms that there is NOTHING like Allah