Do NOT forward Chain Letters

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
[SIZE=+2]Chain Letters[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Have you ever received an email about someone who had a dream about “Hazrat” Zaynab or Aisha, the Holy Prophet (saaw) or some old man with a white beard – asking you to forward it on to x number of people in order to receive good fortune??? And those that don’t pass it on may face some curse or hardship from Allaah (swt)? If you have, and have been unsure what to do with such an email then please read the following article...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]To put it simply my brothers and sisters, such emails should NOT be forwarded and instead the delete button should be hit without hesitation. Such emails create doubt in one’s heart and fall into the category of shirk (associating partners with Allaah). This is the only sin which if we were to die upon; Allaah (swt) has informed us He will never forgive!

Thinking that forwarding the email may in some way change our fate, either by benefiting us or warding off some bad luck, is in fact to put faith in other than the Mighty Will of Allaah (swt). Dear brothers and sisters, we should know that not a single event occurs without the knowledge of our Creator, al Alim. Know that EVERY matter that exists was ordained 50,000 years before the creation of the heavens and the earth. And know that every last breath, movement, and occurrence was written down by Allaah (swt) in al-Lauh ul-Mahfudh, the 'Preserved Tablet'. Allaah, Ta’ala tells us in the Qur`aan:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]“Do you not know that Allaah knows all that is in heaven and on earth? Verily, it is all in the Book. Verily! That is easy for Allaah.” (Surah al-Hajj 22: 70)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]With regards to receiving the email, we should know that sending it or even not sending it, will not change our fate one bit, except for what Allaah has already ordained. In the wise words given to Ibn Abbas, the Prophet (saaw) said, “Remember that if all the people come together to bring you benefit they cannot benefit you except for what Allaah has written. On the other hand if they come together to cause you any harm they will not be able to do it except for what Allaah has written. The pens have been laid aside, and the scrolls have dried.” (recorded by al Tirmidhi)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]You may now ask that what if it was in your fate to receive the email and so your Qadr was decided accordingly. The answer to this lies in the Qur`aan and sunnah of the holy Prophet (saaw) and the simple rule is not to have faith in anything except the will of Allaah. No man or woman can inform you of your future, as we are told,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] “Say! None in the heavens nor the earth knows the unseen except Allaah” (Surah an-Nahl 27:65).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Similar situations existed at the time of our noble Prophet and so the evidences are bountiful. One such example as narrated by Imraan ibn Husayn, that the Prophet (saaw) once saw a brass bangle on a man’s upper arm, and he said to him, “Woe be on you! What is this?” The man replied that it was to protect him from a sickness called al-Waahinah. The Prophet (saaw) then said, “Cast it off, for verily it would only increase your weakness. And, if you died with it on, you would never succeed.” (collected by Ahmad, Ibn Maajah and Ibn Hibbaan)

Also, it has been reported by Abu Hurayrah and al-Hasan that the Prophet (saaw) said, “Whosoever approaches a fortuneteller and believes what he says, has disbelieved in what was revealed to Muhammad.” (Collected by Ahmad, Abu Dawud)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]From this, I ask dear brothers and sisters, how can it be that an electrically typed message, no matter how religious the people described were, or how many people sent or received it, can make the slightest of difference when compared to what Allaah Ta’ala has willed?

From this I would sincerely advise that you spread this message to anyone who may have originally sent a chain message to you – not because it will bring you good fortune or that it may keep away some harm, but in order to inform others of what is correct. Finally, although we may be saddened at how easily and quickly doubt can be put in the hearts of the believers, we should always remember the words of Muhammad (saaw) in his final sermon,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]“Beware of Satan, for the safety of your religion. He has lost all hope that he will ever be able to lead you astray in big things, so beware of following him in small things.”[/SIZE]

Karima

Asalamualikum,

Alhamdulillah for the right guidance that you have put forth in this topic. In all faiths, there are chain letters that try to 'seduce' people into thinking they are earning rewards for sending them on....this has always been a 'strange' way to sway from the direct path of God/Allah.

What you said is all simple and true. Alhamandulillah for the wisdom to speak about this...and to follow through with what is the right thing to do.

Sallam

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
Fortunetellers of malintent/misinformation should of course be avoided at all costs, but at the same time I'd suggest it not wise to fall back on old perspectives while fresh insight and new ideas are right in front of your eyes that don't conflict with the message revealed in the scriptures, especially in the Qu'ran (our supremely accurate Holy Book).

Take my warnings with my 'The Whole Truth' comments for instance. I'm working on refining those ideas, and will eventually attempt some sort of mass communication to get the message out there. Am I just some misinformed fortuneteller? Or could there be some reason to my understandings? I sure hope so. ;-)

Now you could just ignore me, and this is of course your choice. Allah knows already if you'll listen to what I'm trying to figure out / articulate with regards to the Big Picture unfolding before us all, and I of course accept that. But as far as I'm concerned, none of this information is divined by myself - much of it comes from a deep understanding and concern regarding history and current events; much of it comes from quiet thought and prayer; and most of it comes directly from the Bible & Qu'ran. What I'm attempting to do is put the all this together with my wonderful gift of Free Thought and Choice, so that Allah might inspire renewed perspective through me. Sure, I admit that I will make mistakes, but does that mean I should just stop trying or that I should be dismissed? I'm not claiming to be a prophet; just an educated young man with strong beliefs and a heart to do good.

Who's to say I'm not in His plan? Who's to say the streetbum holding up his cardboard sign claiming "The End is Near" isn't in His plan? Do you really think that humanity doesn't have a role to play? That His plan will just unfold without you and I or "them" having any part to it? From what I remember from the Bible, and I'm confident that you'll find this in the Qu'ran too, the Lords makes reference to the End being when Knowledge is vastly increased - isn't that what's going on right now, here, on the internet? There isn't bearly a sentance of information relating to any aspect of humanity that you can't find online (other than the specifics that Allah alone knows), and all of it is available to anyone who can bring themselves to the level of having electricity, a computer, a telephone connection, and the desire to understand.

Judge a tree by its fruit; If I'm wrong or you believe you have a better informed perspective on an issue, let us all know - I love being educated and refined - but don't just sit back and recite snippets of the Qu'ran so that you can feel free of any responsibility of what's going on. Besides, the danger when you only concider a specific portion of God's message / facts is that your frame of context is very limited. "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by EVERY word of God" (Gospel passage) - so we need to take the whole picture into perspective. And that's all I'm trying to do, along with countless others. Am I going to be accurate 100%? Absolutely not, I'm no prophet (though I do study from them); but that doesn't mean we all don't have roles to play in God's plan, that we shouldn't try, nor does it mean we're unable to use our gifts to better understand or communicate the whole truth. Choice, free thought, knowledge of right and wrong, compassion, insight, etc.

I know I'm taking this personally, but all I'm saying is that there are many people out there who are trying to spread truth, knowledge, insight, and understanding and I'm using myself as an example. Some chain letters are full of garbage, while others are quite accurate and encouraging. Muhammad's message (peace be upon him) spread by word of mouth, much like a chain letter - Would you have dismissed his insight? Generalizations are generally a poor idea, so concider each on a case-by-case basis for what they're worth while remembering the Truth (Qu'ran, other accurate knowledge).

Just the other side of the coin to concider =) I hope you aren't offended.

Assalamu Alaikum

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum salam,

no offence taken, just want to point out that this is about Chain letters which contain silly phrases at the bottom which tell people to pass them on or else they will be doomed etc.

wasalam.

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
debatable contents ;D

After reading through this a third time, I feel as though a real injustice has been done; I would like to take this oppourtunity to debate the author of this article point by point, like a true Muslim. So, the issue at hand - "Chain Letters" - to read and pass on/off, or not? Their position is that they all create doubt and should all be deleted without hesitation. Mine is that some create doubt, others strengthen people's resolve and educate, and that they should either be passed on or deleted based on each individual's understanding, research, and feelings on the topic(s) recieved.

[SIZE=+2]Chain Letters[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
Thinking that forwarding the email may in some way change our fate, either by benefiting us or warding off some bad luck, is in fact to put faith in other than the Mighty Will of Allaah (swt). Dear brothers and sisters, we should know that not a single event occurs without the knowledge of our Creator, al Alim.[/SIZE]

First off, this is an unfair setup. It's saying that to think by forwarding a message from another human being you might "change our fate", "either by benefiting us or warding off some bad luck" - First off, it's obvious that if you recieved such a message it was in your fate/destiny to recieve it in the first place. What you choose to do with that message, once received, is up to your own free thought, choice, and ethical/religious values. Dismissing (or accepting) information before you even concider it is kin to ignorance.

Secondly, there's no such thing as "bad luck", and to set up this article with this statement as a prefix is highly suspect of some prejudice. I might also point out that by believing in such a thing as "luck", you are automatically associating partners with Allah - luck comes from the Greek and Roman Gods, made popular by people playing games of chance (like dice) - something the author boldly proclaims will land us in Hell. I'm aware that it's been worded it in such a way that it could be argued the author doesn't believe in luck, but now we've come back to the same logic as Pope Benny stating that the opinions given in his speech recently in Germany aren't actually his and that he doesn't share the opinion of the Emporer he quoted. Quantum Physics entirely disproves such manmade notions of luck; it's all random chance within the physical confines of whatever you're assessing, with a range of factors that can be maniplulated.

Thirdly, "we should know that not a single event occurs without the knowledge of our Creator" including information recieved and information sent. Do I even need to go on? The companions of the Final Prophet PBUH didn't hear/see any message from God, yet they listened, decided what he was saying was infact accurate, and passed those revelations on. Same goes for the people the companions taught after Muhammad PBUH was dead. Anything that occurs, God knows about way before the initial source even ponders/prays these ideas up, including dreaded Chain Letters.

[SIZE=-1]“Do you not know that Allaah knows all that is in heaven and on earth? Verily, it is all in the Book. Verily! That is easy for Allaah.” (Surah al-Hajj 22: 70)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]
With regards to receiving the email, we should know that sending it or even not sending it, will not change our fate one bit, except for what Allaah has already ordained.[/SIZE]

In this case, I suggest we all stop participating online, as really it's all just useless information that will not make a difference one way or the other, right? Let's just trust in God (not that we weren't before) and allow for the evil men of the world to have their fun with us while we put our heads into the sand, eh? Forget the fact that the EU (under the guidance of the Vatican) is manifesting into full glory whilst Africa is in chaos and its people starving. If Allah wants people to care about the sisters/brothers being raped and murdered in Palestine, I'm sure He'd just talk to us about it, right? Why trouble yourself with the burden of facts of reality. What's gunna happen is gunna happen ...

[SIZE=-1]
In the wise words given to Ibn Abbas, the Prophet (saaw) said, “Remember that if all the people come together to bring you benefit they cannot benefit you except for what Allaah has written. On the other hand if they come together to cause you any harm they will not be able to do it except for what Allaah has written. The pens have been laid aside, and the scrolls have dried.” (recorded by al Tirmidhi)[/SIZE]

To illustrate the illogic of these statements, let me debate from another angle. "... except for what Allaah has written" (or willed). Weren't we just agreeing that noone knows the unseen specifics of our Lord's plans? Who are you to say that the people sending these chain letters are not seeking to benefit us, as was written/willed by Allah? Besides, weren't we talking about the unseen? I can see an email. I can see Geroge Bush. I can see Africa on 'Google Earth', and it's people starving to death on a daily basis thanks to the Discovery Channel. What I can't see are Angels, Jinn, Time, Darkness, Distance, Gravity - though I can see their consequences, and I can read about them in the Bible and Qu'ran. With the knowledge I might aquire in those scriptures, I suppose I'd be able to make some educated realizations.

[SIZE=-1]You may now ask that what if it was in your fate to receive the email and so your Qadr was decided accordingly. The answer to this lies in the Qur`aan and sunnah of the holy Prophet (saaw) and the simple rule is not to have faith in anything except the will of Allaah. No man or woman can inform you of your future, as we are told,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] “Say! None in the heavens nor the earth knows the unseen except Allaah” (Surah an-Nahl 27:65).
[/SIZE]

Again, the author is talking about the unseen while past, present, and future are perfectly well in sight. If I hold a ball at the top of a set of wooden stairs, and push it towards the downward stairwell - Won't I know what the future for that ball/stairway will be? Beyond the ball, won't I know that eventually the stairway will rot and need repairs? Perhaps I don't know the specifics, as truly those are only with Allah, but based on simple rules revealed through science and our scriptures it would be quite reasonable to take accurate theories on what/where/when/why/how.

[SIZE=-1]Similar situations existed at the time of our noble Prophet and so the evidences are bountiful. One such example as narrated by Imraan ibn Husayn, that the Prophet (saaw) once saw a brass bangle on a man’s upper arm, and he said to him, “Woe be on you! What is this?” The man replied that it was to protect him from a sickness called al-Waahinah. The Prophet (saaw) then said, “Cast it off, for verily it would only increase your weakness. And, if you died with it on, you would never succeed.” (collected by Ahmad, Ibn Maajah and Ibn Hibbaan) .[/SIZE]

I don't see how this story relates to people accepting / denying information. The man is cutting off critical blood circulation while hoping to avoid some disease (which he might want to be wearing a mask, or fullbody biosuit if he weren't ignorant), putting his faith in something other than Allah or His beautiful science, while keeping brass metal (and its oxide) dangerously close to his circulatory and muscular system.

[SIZE=-1]Also, it has been reported by Abu Hurayrah and al-Hasan that the Prophet (saaw) said, “Whosoever approaches a fortuneteller and believes what he says, has disbelieved in what was revealed to Muhammad.” (Collected by Ahmad, Abu Dawud)[/SIZE]

I can't agree more with this statement; other than to point out there's a different between a fortuneteller and a social scientist - between a pagan witchdoctor and a historian - between a dictator and a politician.

[SIZE=-1]From this, I ask dear brothers and sisters, how can it be that an electrically typed message, no matter how religious the people described were, or how many people sent or received it, can make the slightest of difference when compared to what Allaah Ta’ala has willed?[/SIZE]

Perhaps these messages aren't to be compared to the will of Allah, but rather concidered as part of His will? An electrically typed message is just as likely to be a part of His design as one written with ink and parchment.

[SIZE=-1]From this I would sincerely advise that you spread this message to anyone who may have originally sent a chain message to you – not because it will bring you good fortune or that it may keep away some harm, but in order to inform others of what is correct.[/SIZE]

This is almost funny, now. After telling us not to use Chain Letter efforts/methods as the author believes they cannot be part of Allah's will, he/she is suggesting we pass this message forward to others? Are we sure this is Allah's will, as written in his most holy and secret tablet? Not for "luck", or to keep people from harm (or to stop the rediculous harm currently being inflicted on humanity), but rather to show the world what is CORRECT, eh? Hmmm ... that's kin to bigotry, you know, and cousin to hypocrisy.

[SIZE=-1]Finally, although we may be saddened at how easily and quickly doubt can be put in the hearts of the believers, we should always remember the words of Muhammad (saaw) in his final sermon,[/SIZE]

... wait, what? It's easy and quick for believers to doubt their convictions? I'm confused, because this is not my experience. =) Go believers!

[SIZE=-1]“Beware of Satan, for the safety of your religion. He has lost all hope that he will ever be able to lead you astray in big things, so beware of following him in small things.”[/SIZE]

Amen. In conclusion, I'll remind you of the very first word Muhammad PBUH had revealed to him by our Lord: Knowledge. Not Judgement, not God - Knowledge, and with the Arabic word it also implies 'to seek' with passion.

Peace is the only path; May it be with us all, and may Allah accept our prayers.

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
Example

To Whom It May Concern,

Last year in late December my father died of lung cancer. He was only 43 when he was diagnosed. Our whole family was in shock, and noone would have guessed the "Dreaded C" would come for him after just over 10 years of being a non-smoker. Sadly, within a month of his diagnosis the cancer had developed so badly that it had spread to his heart and bone tissue.

I've never seen a man go from hero to zero so quickly - deteriorating right infront of our eyes within weeks. Coughing up blood; the expressions of pain he would haunt us with; crippling side-effects of anti-cancer treatment; mental infirmity that the morphine brought to one who was once concidered the brightest student in his class of '77. Our family was devastated.

I became a Muslim earlier this Spring, after a great deal of encouragement and support from an online forums community, TurnToIslam.com. From that point on, the painful memories and broken dreams slowly began to heal, and I do thank God every day for that.

However, 3 weeks ago I had a dream. Or at least, I think it was a dream. I saw my father again, but this time he looked far worse! It was so vivid that I was unable to wake; which I am normally able to do with ANY dream I've ever had throughout my entire life! I could hear, smell, taste, touch and see as if it were somehow a reality, perhaps even one truer than our own.

It wasn't a dream, it was a nightmare. My father was calling out to me in torment, squeeling like pig covered in slick crude oil running through a forest fire. We only spoke for about 20 minutes, afterwhich I could no longer focus on him - but I was able to still see where he was: HELL. Hell is real! Not only that, but my father told me that every person who smokes and knows better, and continues to smoke (he kept smoking from time to time behind our backs) will burn there with him too! He charged me with telling everyone I know, and that if I was a good boy and warned enough people that he had a chance of being set free and having a moment's peace!

This is why I'm sending you this Chain Email - To warn you and to ask for your help! I know this sounds crazy, but if you ignore it you may very well be DOOMING yourself! Please, don't end up like my father: Make the right choice! And if you want extra reward in the hereafter, and to help rescue my father from the pits of Hell - please forward this email to at least THREE people! Please, I beg you!

God willing, one day my father will have peace - And so will you. God bless us all.

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah

haha, I make me laugh. that was made up by the way - boy, I have an active mind. anyhow, i figured I'd give a demonstration to further the cause of justice and proof before I head to work - I hope I didn't go too far - with the pig imagery. ;D

Assalamu Alaikum

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:
I didn't read all that you said due to the fact that they were mainly based on opionion and assumption, not that there is anything wrong with that, but we can't ingnore the facts as they are. The Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) told us as muslims NOT to reveal bad dreams as they come from Satan.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 9, Book 87, Number 114:
Narrated Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri:

The Prophet said, "If anyone of you sees a dream that he likes, then it is from Allah, and he should thank Allah for it and narrate it to others; but if he sees something else, i.e., a dream that he dislikes, then it is from Satan, and he should seek refuge with Allah from its evil, and he should not mention it to anybody, for it will not harm him."

And as to the part where you say we do know the near future, that's not true. For all you know the ball rolling down the stairs might go and hit another on the head. We only know what choices we make not the result of them. Muslims are encouraged to find the truth and work for Allah but if the results aren't good they shouldn't blame anybody and know it is Allah's Qadr.

Volume 9, Book 87, Number 131:
Narrated Kharija bin Zaid bin Thabit:

Um Al-'Ala an Ansari woman who had given a pledge of allegiance to Allah's Apostle told me:, "The Muhajirln (emigrants) were distributed amongst us by drawing lots, and we got 'Uthman bin Maz'un in our share. We made him stay with us in our house. Then he suffered from a disease which proved fatal. When he died and was given a bath and was shrouded in his clothes. Allah's Apostle came, I said, (addressing the dead body), 'O Aba As-Sa'ib! May Allah be Merciful to you! I testify that Allah has honored you.' Allah's Apostle said, 'How do you know that Allah has honored him?" I replied, 'Let my father be sacrificed for you, O Allah's Apostle! On whom else shall Allah bestow. His honor?' Allah's Apostle said, 'As for him, by Allah, death has come to him. By Allah, I wish him all good (from Allah). By Allah, in spite of the fact that I am Allah's Apostle, I do not know what Allah will do to me.", Um Al-'Ala added, "By Allah, I will never attest the righteousness of anybody after that."

And lastly at this time we don't know who can interpret a dream correctly. When the Prophet Muhammad (saws) was alive there are many cases of him interpreting dreams but after his death how will you know who interprets a dream right and wrong? who knows if the dream is from Satain? Your own interpretations may be wrong, and talking others interpretations and believing them may be Shirk. The only thing we as humans know is that Allah fortold out Qadr.

Volume 8, Book 77, Number 595:
Narrated Imran bin Husain:

A man said, "O Allah's Apostle! Can the people of Paradise be known (differentiated) from the people of the Fire; The Prophet replied, "Yes." The man said, "Why do people (try to) do (good) deeds?" The Prophet said, "Everyone will do the deeds for which he has been created to do or he will do those deeds which will be made easy for him to do." (i.e. everybody will find easy to do such deeds as will lead him to his destined place for which he has been created).

Volume 8, Book 77, Number 602:
Narrated 'Ali:

While we were sitting with the Prophet who had a stick with which he was scraping the earth, he lowered his head and said, "There is none of you but has his place assigned either in the Fire or in Paradise." Thereupon a man from the people said, "Shall we not depend upon this, O Allah's Apostle?" The Prophet said, "No, but carry on and do your deeds, for everybody finds it easy to do such deeds (as will lead him to his place)." The Prophet then recited the Verse: 'As for him who gives (in charity) and keeps his duty to Allah..' (92.5)

Allah Knows Best

:wasalam:

samiha

---------
Staff member
I also wanted to post this Hadith.

The prophet Mohammad (S.A.W.) said,

"Do not be envious of one another; do not inflate prices by overbidding against one another; do not hate one another; do not turn away from one another; do not enter into commercial transaction when others have entered into that (transaction); but be you, O slaves of Allah, as brothers. A Muslim is a brother of another Muslim; he neither oppresses him, nor does he lie to him, nor does he look down upon or humiliate him. Piety is here (and he pointed to his chest three times). It is evil enough for a Muslim to humiliate his brother. All things of a Muslim are sacred for his brother-in-faith: his blood, his property, and his honor.” {Related by Imam Muslim.}

Brotherhood is important, and to make it strong we are required to respect each other. Where there is a wrong we have a duty to make right, but we have no right to do it in a way that will ruin a brother's honor.

I ask forgiveness if I have offended anyone.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum, i dont think anyone is offending anyone's honour here..... least i dont see that alhamdulilah.

I didnt write the letter about "chain letters"..

Also, i think it is correct, nobody should be forwarding letters which contain messages of Shirk (associating partners with Allah) or those which are based on increasing supersticions. . . or lies.

If i say pass my letter on, it will give you 5 rewards.... or if you dont you will be miserable and wretched all your life.... this is a sin, because we dont know these things. Its for Allah and Allah alone to reward us.

Instead, we could say, this letter will benefit other people and you will get reward so please pass it on.... This is acceptable. See?

Thats all the first letter is saying..

wasalam

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
Wow ... I stand somewhat corrected. Somewhat. ;D

Forgive me for being a little too passionate about this, my brothers and sisters. I had a hard day yesterday, and some of the brothers at the Mosque seemed to be giving me the cold shoulder - like I was some sort of spy from the CIA or something. That's how I felt. I know that excuses don't make take responsibilty away for my actions, but I ask that you keep that in perspective.

I love the Qu'ran and Haddiths. Just when you think you have a certain topic figured out, God blows your mind! ;D

Just a last thought on knowing the near future: I respect that Allah alone knows the specific details of (back to my example) what will happen when you push the ball down the stairs, but still we know ahead of time SOME of the consequences when using knowledge. Allah knows best, and I put my trust in Him - I'm just trying to figure out as much as possible.

Sorry if I went too far, or if certain aspects of what I think I know were flawed - I am happy to learn more and to ask for forgiveness when I transgress. Assalamu Alaikum; it's the only way. ;D

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

:bismillah:

Jazzak-Allah khair for sharing!:biggrin:

This is so true,I was always skeptical with these chain letters.

“Beware of Satan, for the safety of your religion. He has lost all hope that he will ever be able to lead you astray in big things, so beware of following him in small things.”