Do you think this is a good idea?

dianek

I was introduced to St. Stephens Episcopal group in Richmond that meets once a month to "Discover Islam"......do you all think it would be good for me to go? Below is the description...

Discover Islam gathers once a month to explore the theology and practice of inter-religious dialogue and Christian-Muslim relations. Using books, movies, articles and other resources, we enhance our understanding of Islam and learn ways we as Christians can be in relationship with our Muslim sisters and brothers. The first meeting of the fall featured Paul-Gordon Chandler as guest speaker.

Second Thursday of each month, 7 p.m., beginning September 13; led by Bill Sachs (some meetings occur on other Thursdays, according to the availability of guest speakers; check weekly calendars or contact Bill via email or at 288-2867.)

The next meeting will take place on Thursday, November 15 at 7 p.m.--come and hear from participants in the recently-completed pilgrimage to the Middle East.

dianek

Subhanallah!

At St. Stephen's, the Center for Reconciliation and Mission is also working to help improve relations between Christians and Muslims close to home. The center has organized classes, discussions and speakers on the topic of Christian-Muslim relations.

"We took a small group to one of Richmond's mosques before the start of Ramadan," Sachs said. The group felt "the sense of welcome, the sense of warmth, the interest, excitement and the idea that clearly there's so much we hold in common."

The letter from Muslim leaders is important because one group of leaders is reaching out to another, said Damaj, of the Virginia Muslim Coalition.

"Leaders have to do it, but also communities have to do it," he said

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
I'd say go ... you are a bridge between the two worlds ... but make sure you are armed with some knowledge ...

1. Islam mandates good treatment of Christians. The infamous word "dhimmi" actually means person of the pledge which is the pledge of protection. The prophet likened harming a dhimmi to harming himself (imagine that, a muslim harming the prophet Muhammad pbuh !).

2. The oldest churches in the world are in the middle east, a land ruled by muslims for nearly 1400 years. Even after the crusades, Christians continued to live and practice their religion in that land.

3. Although look up verses in the Quran that speak about Jesus (pbuh), Mary and Moses (pbuh).

4. The basis of the dialogue between Muslims & Christians in the Quran is this verse:

"Say (O Muhammad (peace be upon him)) "O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians): Come to a word that is just between us and you, that we worship none but Allâh (God), and that we associate no partners with Him, and that none of us shall take others as lords besides Allâh (God). Then, if they turn away, say: "Bear witness that we are Muslims."

Let us know how it got on

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
You go sister, it is time for peace between our neigbors both mulism, christain, jews, and etc. So I wish you good luck and be careful other than guard yourself with knowledge.

dianek

It is a monthly meeting held by a local church to teach all interested about Islam in a positive way, show the similarities between the two. I am not looking to go as a speaker, cause I just don't know enough yet to really discuss islam. BUT I thought it would be good to go and say "You know what I am Muslim".....and see what discussion we can have. I would love to see more open communication between the two faiths locally.

alwaysislam

i think if you feel ready you will surely be greatly rewarded for introducing other faiths to islam and showing that you have accepted islam but all i would say is be strong cos u will find you will get asked lots of questions that you will be expected to know the answer to and you may get a bit swamped i went to something like this a little while after i had converted and people can get quite challenging i find non muslims will ask reverts things that they would never dream of asking a a person who had been brought up as muslim but if you are ready then alhamdulillah may allah guide you i wish you every success

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum

I do not voice this opinion to be different from everyone, but I think you shouldn't go. :p

It's not the "bonding" opportunity or showing we're ... I dont know ... good people or whatever, I think that it's just because well, it's weird to take Islaam from a non-Muslim.

I think to show our "tolerance" should be in our actions, but we dont have to go to their meetings, their places and sit with them (not in regards to teaching them i.e. giving dawah) but just to be taught by them our Deen.

I mean, of all things, IF they believed in it, they would be MUSLIM! but to show they dont, means they will show it in a different way. They wont do justice I feel, and to go and sit there might be harmful to a persons Iman/faith. There is no NPOV in a religion, they are going to "show" islam as they want it, and regardless it wont due justice, and if all the rights they give a wrong and one does not know enough to refute that, then everyone will be thinking it was correct.

argh... I am not sure on this. Just personally I dont like it :( sorry

wasalam

in some events people use to quote some things without context which is really shockable for a born muslim, because he was not aware of that things. For a new muslim people should always avoid everykind of debate or discussion. Because without knowledge face such things is not good for belief.if you think you are perfect prepared to attend such programs then do it , but my advice is shouldn´t go as sister samiha said.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I have to agree with Samiha. It is a journey that the parishoneers of the church wish to embark upon. They have a set agenda. They can only comprehend to a certain degree and then they will stop the journey.
There will be a degree of superficiality.
Islam is foreign to them.Islam will remain foreign. Those who practice Islam will be catergorlized as good and bad Muslims.
Time is better spent with Muslims.

MuslimaSeattle

Hello

Assalamu alaykum

I do not voice this opinion to be different from everyone, but I think you shouldn't go. :p

It's not the "bonding" opportunity or showing we're ... I dont know ... good people or whatever, I think that it's just because well, it's weird to take Islaam from a non-Muslim.

I think to show our "tolerance" should be in our actions, but we dont have to go to their meetings, their places and sit with them (not in regards to teaching them i.e. giving dawah) but just to be taught by them our Deen.

I mean, of all things, IF they believed in it, they would be MUSLIM! but to show they dont, means they will show it in a different way. They wont do justice I feel, and to go and sit there might be harmful to a persons Iman/faith. There is no NPOV in a religion, they are going to "show" islam as they want it, and regardless it wont due justice, and if all the rights they give a wrong and one does not know enough to refute that, then everyone will be thinking it was correct.

argh... I am not sure on this. Just personally I dont like it :( sorry

wasalam

I agree with you..It's strange to learn Islam from a Non-Muslim, I personally would NEVER learn my DEEN from a NONMUSLIM. There is no need of interaction unless if you are giving them dawah. Anywas nowdays there is all kind of muslims so that leads to many different sources. We must be careful WHO we are taking knowledge from. With so many deviant sects and all. I would not go unless for dawah. So please don't go.

hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim in their Saheehs from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), which says that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, during his final illness: “May Allaah curse the Jews and Christians, for they took the graves of their Prophets as places of worship.” How can they not be cursed when Allaah has described them in His Book as follows?

“Surely, they have disbelieved who say: ‘Allaah is the Messiah [‘Eesa (Jesus)], son of Maryam (Mary).