Does anyone want to hear about my first Iftar?

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Assalamu alaykum wa ramatullahi wa barakatu,
RAMADAN KAREEM! I can't believe we are within the last week of Ramadan.....

Last night I went to my first Iftar, alhamdulilah. I was very scared obviously, there were about 60 people at this sister's house and I only knew 3 of them haha. But of course, as Muslims are, they were all very nice and chatty with me. Welcoming and after about 5 minutes I was having the best time!

However, the line for food was.......long. Like a buffet at 12pm on Saturday. There was a pot of Biryani and the pot was the biggest I've ever seen.

We also had a female speaker there to lecture us on Ramadan and how to maximize our time. She also spoke on womanly issues. It was pretty inspiring and everyone was sad when Magrhib came and her lecture was over.

Also, kind of funny, we thought it was time to break our fast and all the dates and water were handed out and everyone waited until all of us had something. THEN, a sister said, "WAIT, WE STILL HAVE 3 MINUTES BY MASJID TIME!" So we sat there for 3 minutes staring at our dates. :wink:

Soooooooo, that was iftar.

Do other Muslims normally go to Iftar gatherings EVERY night? Or is this special?
Please share memorable Iftar times :D I love stories.

strive-may-i

Walaikum salaam Warahmathullaahi wabarakaatuh,

Ramlaan Kareem. Glad to know. May you have more such memorable Iftaar with family and friends ... Ameen

So thats the narration of fasting sisters gathering at a sisters (host) house for iftaar. Let me repeat the narration of a brother who does Iftaar in a corporate office.

"Iftaar in offices can be very well organized, it depends on numbers and the establishment. Bigger establishments with more than say a 1 or 2 dozen practicing employees, tend to usually have well organized iftaar arrangements, but kept low profile. So in this brothers office (Its in a big city), Every member gets his/her share (from shop, home, cafeteria) + a little more for others. The gathering in this office is 30-40. They move tables around to one corner of cafeteria, and spread the mats!. Even few sisters reach the cafeteria, they sit seperate on the tables. In this establishment they have made an arrangement in cafeteria for fruit juice also. All sit on the mat, doing silent self prayers. And when the time is reached, they break the fast. Some come rushing to cafeteria, and there always is some food (dates) for those who come late. In 5-10 minutes all are done, and do the wudu. The mats are cleaned, one of the brothers would say Azaan. The more learnt and knowledgeable would stand as Imaam. The prayers would be completed. The tables and chairs would be set. Some volunteer to take the ownership of mats. Many carry around thin cloth like plastic mats. Thanking Almight for all the benefits, the brothers would then disperse back to their work. Every day feels special...

With the Taraweeh prayers, Quran etc ...
The special Iftaar parties, well they are special, far and few.
"

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
Wa 'alaikumassalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu,
Masha'Allah that is nice.Iftaar gatherings are always great.You meet lots of muslims you didn't know.I love Biryani.We also had an iftar gathering last Sunday.There were about 100-125 people,mostly du'aat.I am always nervous around crowds,added to that the foundation which was conducting it had asked me to speak on a topic at the iftaar but I chickened out :S !!(Also because there were huge fans with incredible amount of noise like an Aeroplane's turbine almost)
We all sat in two rows and a long mat was spread and we had dates and a couple of other things.
There are masajid nearby so we didn't have problem with time,since many adhaan came.Although the confusion at iftaar time can be hilarious,you are making du'a and at the back of your mind,it's iftaar time..no there's a minute or two left!!
After that we had food and yes it was Biryani ,then all of us gathered and discussed few things,laughed etc : )

a_stranger

Assalmu alaikim :ma: that was great , the happiest moments for me are when we gather to understand our deen and obey our Lord . I really think that those who miss such moments are loser they don't know the true happiness . alhamduliAllah sister that you spent a good time .

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Wa Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh,

Sounds like you had fun*Smile*. I don't recall any Iftars except those we had at school. They weren't really productive tbh. Actually, most Iftars in here aren't. It's like a general get together party where you eat, gossip, miss maghirb, miss taraweeh, come back late, and gain no good out of it. That's how most Iftars in here are like lol.

That's why my father believes its a massive waste of time. Provided the Iftars are like ^ that, I quite agree.

strive-may-i

Assalaamu Alaikum,

The thread has made progress ... and brought out a reality Iftaar gatherings v/s Iftaar parties

There is a subtle distinction between Iftaar gatherings (organized to break fast, pray together, simple beneficial ) and Iftaar parties (to feast). Lavish Iftaar parties, (where only the so called who's who of society attend) conducted with a spirit opposite to spirit of Ramlaan, are a waste and should be discouraged.