Don't Lose Hope

Precious Star

Brother Ditta,

I think what you are saying, is exactly what I have been saying all along in much simpler language.

The true believer resigns herself/himself to what God has destined, and has hope in a better hereafter. That is patience, although I think it is a stretch to say we should be expected to "relish" our trials. Patience does not mean joy; patience does not mean we are not allowed to feel sad and disappointed, it just means we don't lose our wits over what has happened. You stay strong and wait for the Hereafter.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I want to thank you from my heart. Your honesty is helping many who would not have the courage to be so open.

Sister, my outlook for many may seem to be a little sugary. It is not. These eyes do not wear rose colored glasses.

Once upon a long time ago I was in a similar position. A gentleman who was my co-worker stopped me one day and said:" Life is a flower; you can not force it to open.

The trials you have undergone ( and do not think I am taking you lightly, please) are making you strong. The poem Footprints in the Sand is appropriate for you. Allah has not left you. Allah has heard every word you have called upon Him. His angles are next to you. He has something wonderful for you.

What have gained to be joyful about. You have your health and beauty. You have been graced with brains. You are a good daughter. You have an excellent career. You are a good writer. And you have hundreds of brothers and sisters here on TTI, including moi, who love you and are praying for you.
You have your faith.

I know I can be so sickly sweet; forgive me but Allah gave me a lot of love.

Besides, my chances of getting married are .0099% in this lifetime. Am I going to meet him. You betcha bottom dollar I will, Insha'Allah. I make dua every salat. Sometimes, I even smile.

Precious Star

Maybe I was just being greedy. I have always had my faith, my career, my parents, my ability to write well. I didn't want just that - day in day out. Maybe I was greedy. But I thought getting married was half our deen. I thought the reason God gave us wombs was to carry and nurture children. I thought the reason God gave us the ability to love was to that we can be loved in return. I thought God gave us parents so that they can serve as role models for us when we become parents. I thought God gave me financial security so I could be charitable to others while also providing for my children. So all these years, I did not think I was being greedy.

I'm sorry - I haven't gained a thing in praying for that all these years. I wish I could wear your glasses. I am in the exact same spot I was 10 years ago, 5 years ago, 1 year ago. I am the one who said "Ya Latif" 100 x. I am the one who read sura Yasin mornign and night. I am the one who read Tahajjud. I am the one who "tried it all" when I really, really wanted my life to open up and change. And I am the one who did not get any change at all.

Do you know what it is like to ask your mother to please help me find a muslim husband, to speak to my father and brothers and ask them to help me achieve this goal, and to hear the answer "No". Do you know what that is like, after being obedient to them and doing things their way?

No, I haven't gained anything. I'm grateful for everything that I have, but I haven't gained a thing.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

OK...

Lets try this:

With Ramadan on the brink we all have to practice our faith a little more. I am going to list suggestions. Bear in mind this is not personal. As I wrote before, there are many reading this thread and benefiting from it.

1. If you do not cover..cover for Ramadan. Everywhere you go..don't leave your house without it.
2. Zakat and sadaqa..everyday give to Allah. Be it a quarter to a beggar be it for juice and cookies for the children of Gaza. Just do it.
3. Try to go to the masjid and get the blessings from congregational prayer. Receive the simple blessings of going to the masjid.
4. Spend time with Muslims.
5. Visit the relatives..how boring ..I know..but visit the aunts and uncles and if you are lucky the grandparents. Do what I call a pop-corn visit. Knock on the door and say hello...nothing grand..I was driving by and had to stop.

6. This is a biggie: we have so much information on this site about Prayer. Brother Abu Sara has so much on his threads. Revisit how we pray. Read what Brother Ditta posted on my question about reciting Sura Fathia.
7. I do this simple one: I will start to count my blessings; and I break down in tears.." Which of my blessings will you deny".

If you find yourself in the same spot..move from the spot. What are the simple changes you can make; do something different.

One final thought: Prayer is the most interpersonal relationship we have. Period. Make it interpersonal. Do not recite all the prayers as if the motion is enough. This is where we gain psychic energy. Celebrate the praises of Allah. Celebrate the blessing that He gave us salat. Sometimes, as I commence salat I am flooded with tears..how blessed am I that You, My Creator, the Master of the Day of Judgment..has given me, a sinner, the blessing, of being able to pray.

Did I make any sense...by the way you do not want my glasses...bi-focals;

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
As-salaamu'Alaykum,

Sister, remember though supplication (done properly) is the only thing that repels/changes (some evil that may have touched us but through supplication Allah (Subhaanahu wa ta'aala) protected us from it) the Divine Decree. That is another one of its benefits.

It is clear that Alhamdu'lillaah you have been blessed by Allah in other areas of your life. Therefore only Allah knows why your supplication for good spouse has not come about. However the case for a Muslim when supplicating is always good as the Prophet :saw: said (so take solace in that, Subhaan'Allaah it makes one think that when I/others supplicate and it is answered does that mean one's condition in the Hereafter will be more difficult? i.e. we got our rewards here, may Allah have mercy on us).

It is not appropriate (for many reasons) for me to know the nooks and crannies of what you have gone through in searching for a spouse (i.e., the effort, your expectations and so on). But as per the ruling from IslamQA in my previous post it is true that we can't expect to get what we want after doing the legislated action (if only it was that simple and Allah can do it although it wouldn't even affect His Dominion, remember Allah is Most-Wise regarding whether the thing we supplicate is suitable for us. Allah is Able to do All-Things, similar to that brother who was told he would only live for two days but ended up living for two months, Allah can bless a person with something that seemed rationally impossible:

And (remember) Zakariyya (Zachariah), when he cried to his Lord: "O My Lord! Leave me not single (childless), though You are the Best of the inheritors."

So We answered his call, and We bestowed upon him Yahya (John), and cured his wife (to bear a child) for him. Verily, they used to hasten on to do good deeds, and they used to call on Us with hope and fear, and used to humble themselves before Us.).

(Qur'aan, 21: 89-90).

(And I think the same happened when the angels visited Ibrahim (alayhis-salaam) and said he would be blessed with a child but his wife responded in astonishment that she would be able to conceive at such an old age (I am sure this is in the Qur'aan but I can't remember which Soorah, I hope somebody can post).

Also, I say this looking/examining myself first and with all respect, but we should seriously inspect our lives top to bottom. Look at where we could be disobeying Allah (Subhaanahu wa ta'aala) without even knowing because that thing could be hampering us when we supplicate to Allah.

Remember and I say this to myself but it is difficult for us to remember when we are going through hardships/distress that Allah (Subhaanahu wa ta'aala) will have answered our supplications in the past.

When I read that portion of how Ibn al-Jawzi responded to the Shaytaan (i.e., the insinuating whispers) because of the delay in his supplication it should make one shiver (the determination and belief in Allah). If only Allah could bless us with some of that. Your right that when showing patience during difficulty we won't be displaying joy (there will be sad/frustrating times). But the way we should try to respond is showing determination (being strong) in the delay and fighting those enemies that attempt to sway us onto dangerous paths. Just like Ibn al-Jawzi fought, if only we had the determination to do the same (I think if everyone examined themselves they would probably see the same, i.e., they supplicated, something opposite happened to that (they showed sadness and frustration) but in the end what one supplicated for, Allah answered it (then one sees that the test they went through was because Allah knows what is in our best interest. I look back and see this (I can't recall the instances but I am sure they are many, Subhaan'Allaah).

Ask Allah plainly to bless you with a good spouse (at the best times, before end of Salaah (taslim), in the last third of the night, in the soon Ramadan) calling upon His Most Beautiful Names (and ensuring that there is not something in your life that could hamper Allah answering your supplication) and look to make the effort where you may have not searched thoroughly enough before.

May Allah bless you with a good spouse. Ameen.