Dr Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips:

shmed

very sarcastic........
:ma:

www.calltoislam.com

Response Letter To Producer Prior To Airing Programme Dr Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips:

Andrew Smith
Producer, Dispatches
Channel 4

Dear Mr Andrew Smith,
My general advice is that the direction in which the program seems to be heading is one of stirring ill feelings and confrontation between parts of the Muslim community and the UK public. The program would better serve the interests of the public by explaining what is “Wahhabism” and allowing those accused of propagating it to explain and defend their ideas, rather than to make assumptions about the evil of “Wahhabism” and then attribute it to respectable organizations in the country.

At any rate, in response to two allegations made by your crew the first of which is the following:

1. In a talk given at Green Lane Mosque on 2 September 2006, you stated that the practice of marrying girls before they reach puberty is permissible, on the grounds that the Prophet Mohammed made it permissible by his own practice of marrying a nine-year-old girl. You said: “The Prophet Mohammed practically outlined the rules regarding marriage prior to puberty, with his practice he clarified what is permissible and what is not permissible and that is why today as Muslims we don’t have or we shouldn’t have any issues about an older man marrying a younger woman, which is looked down upon by society today, they have given it a lot of nasty names but we know that Prophet practised it, it wasn’t abuse or exploitation it was marriage and the limits of marriage.”

I would like to point out that the context in which this was said was in regards to attacks by some evangelists like Jerry Falwell, on Prophet Muhammad because of his marriage to one of his wives due to her age. I pointed out that the age of consensual sex (not marriage) varies in Europe from 12 in Holland, 14 in Italy, 15 in France, 16 in Germany, 17 in Ireland to 18 in the UK (16 for Hetrosexual), while in Islam - where sex outside of marriage is illegal - the age was outlined by Prophet Muhammad in his marriage to Aa’ishah. The marriage took place before puberty, however, it was not consummated until after puberty. Puberty being the natural dividing line between childhood and womanhood from the most ancient of times. Thus, from the perspective of Islamic law and thought, there is no problem in older men marrying younger women. However, I was not advocating that Muslims go against the laws of the UK, as I have always taught and explained that Muslims living in non-Muslim countries are obliged to abide by the laws of the country. If they are unwilling to do so, they should try to change the laws through due legal process, or as a last resort emigrate to a country in which they are free to practice their religion.

The second point:

2. Our investigation involves the spreading of Wahhabi views in the UK by
preachers who have received training in Islam in Saudi Arabian universities. Our investigation has established that you were trained in Islam at the University of Medina in Saudi Arabia.

It is true that I studied, “was trained” has other implications, at the Islamic
University of Madeenah from 1974-1980, and in the college of education at
Riyadh University. But it should also be noted that I was “trained” for my PhD at the University of Wales, UK, with whatever that implies.

Thank you for giving me an opportunity to express my views and concerns about your program, and I hope that my views will be aired along with your truncated quotes.

If in future you wish to do a balanced program concerning “Wahhabism”, I would be only too happy to participate.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Bilal Philips

( looooool, i find this sheikh sooo funny with his dry wit. could not stop laughing!!!)

:hijabi:

amyaishazouaoui

Go BP, go BP, go BP

:salam2:

I saw this on a video blog site a few weeks ago, his tone is so sarcastic ....... its great. I love the bit where he goes and the legal age in the uk is 18....oh thats for homosexuals......for heterosexuals its 16!!!! looooooooollll!!!

BP is cool, I likes his leather jacket he wears, hey....he's "human" unlike so many scholars!!!!!!!!!!!

If Allah ever gives you the opportunity to go to one of his lecures......go, you wont stop laughing, he makes islam light and digestable...mashallah!!

btw....what does islam say about being sarcastic?????
:wasalam:

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge

I saw this on a video blog site a few weeks ago, his tone is so sarcastic ....... its great. I love the bit where he goes and the legal age in the uk is 18....oh thats for homosexuals......for heterosexuals its 16!!!! looooooooollll!!!

BP is cool, I likes his leather jacket he wears, hey....he's "human" unlike so many scholars!!!!!!!!!!!

If Allah ever gives you the opportunity to go to one of his lecures......go, you wont stop laughing, he makes islam light and digestable...mashallah!!

Rules of Joking in Islam

Some people joke too much and it becomes a habit for them. This is the opposite of the serious nature which is the characteristic of the believers. Joking is a break, a rest from ongoing seriousness and striving; it is a little relaxation for the soul. ‘Umar ibn ‘Abd al-‘Azeez (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Fear joking, for it is folly and generates grudges.”

Imaam al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The kind of joking which is forbidden is that which is excessive and persistent, for it leads to too much laughter and hardening of the heart, it distracts from remembrance of Allaah, and it often leads to hurt feelings, generates hatred and causes people to lose respect and dignity. But whoever is safe from such dangers, then that which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to do is permissible for him.”

Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqaas said: “Set a limit to your jokes, for going to extremes makes you lose respect and incites the foolish against you.”

The amount of joking should be like the amount of salt in one’s food.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not laugh too much, for laughing too much deadens the heart.” (Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7312)

‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Whoever laughs too much or jokes too much loses respect, and whoever persists in doing something will be known for it.”

So beware of joking, for it “causes a person to lose face after he was thought of as respectable, and it brings him humiliation after esteem.”

A man said to Sufyaan ibn ‘Uyaynah (may Allaah be pleased with him), “Joking is not right, it is to be denounced.” He replied, “Rather it is Sunnah, but only for those who know how to do it and do it at the appropriate time.”

Nowadays, although the ummah needs to increase the love between its individual members and to relieve itself of boredom, it has gone too far with regard to relaxation, laughter and jokes. This has become a habit which fills their gatherings and wastes their time, so their lives are wasted and their newspapers are filled with jokes and trivia.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If you knew what I know, you would laugh little and weep much.” In Fath al-Baari it says: “What is meant by knowledge here has to do with the might of Allaah and His vengeance upon those who disobey Him, and the terrors that occur at death, in the grave and on the Day of Resurrection).

Muslim men and women have to be inclined to choose righteous and serious friends in their lives, who will help them to make good use of their time and strive for the sake of Allaah with seriousness and steadfastness, good and righteous people whose example they can follow. Bilaal ibn Sa’d said: “I saw them [the Sahaabah] jokingly pretending to fight over some goods, and laughing with one another, but when night came they were like monks.”

Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) was asked, “Did the Companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) laugh?” He said, “Yes, and the faith in their hearts was like mountains.”

So you have to follow the example of such people, who were knights by day and monks (i.e., devoted worshippers) by night.

May Allaah keep us, you and our parents safe on the Day of the Greatest Terror, those to whom the call will go out on that great Day:

“Enter Paradise, no fear shall be on you, nor shall you grieve”

[al-A’raaf 7:49 – interpretation of the meaning]

Globalpeace

Banned
Promise NOT to be funny!

Asslamo Allaikum,

Someone took an oath from me once NOT to be funny & crack jokes & so on for 1 week.

I broke down in 4 hours

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Asslamo Allaikum,

Someone took an oath from me once NOT to be funny & crack jokes & so on for 1 week.

I broke down in 4 hours

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Akhi, I wouldnt do that if i were you. lol. Its a torture.. :shake:

shmed

i wonder if a can do it...

i might try that with a friend for may be half a day without joking.

Globalpeace

Banned
Promise NOT to be funny!

Asslamo Allaikum,

I tried very very hard to stick to my 7 day (no Joking promise) but failed....

visionusman

being content

I don't think being sarcastic is forbidden. Enlighten me (anyone) if it is.

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
We should not be sarcastic all the time but once in a while is not forbidden. I think brother abdul hasib cleared out in his post Masha Allah.
Jazakumullah khair.