Drawings of things with faces, sleeping on left side, pant leg below ankles - banned?

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2:
I've heard (and some claim that there are numerous Hadith supporting it) that we are banned from:

1) Drawing things with faces (like self-portraits)

2) Sleeping on our left side or stomach

3) Having our pants hang below our ankles.

I'm wondering that is it true that these are banned? If so, please post some quotes from the Qur'an/Hadith showing it.

In Art Class, we are forced to draw self-portraits nearly every year. I've heard that on Judgement Day, Allah will say "Bring to life what you've made". But, I was forced to make it (or else I'd get an "F" in the easiest class, Art). Trust me; I don't really draw on my own free will and I'd never draw things with faces (I hate doing so).

Sleeping on my left side and stomach is also pretty hard not to do. I sleep on my left side so I can face away from the TV set (which is usually on). Also, I sleep on my stomach just because it's the most comfortable position in sleep.

Having my pants hang below my ankles (the leg, of course) is hard not to do, also. It's simple fasion stuff; and I'm definatly into fasion. Of course, it's not as hard not to do as the others.

I posted this so that if it is true (that these things are banned), you guys can help me by giving me tips on how to stop doing them. Thanks!

:wasalam:

UmmTaymiyyah

Assalamu alaykum,

Regarding your post, a few hadiths regarding tasweer (images) are below, and also for trousers or khamiis hanging below the ankle.

With regards sleeping on left side, I do not have the references at hand, but if you do a search on google, you will see that even medically it is not advised to sleep on left, as this is closest to your heart and can put strain on it, and Allah knows best.
Insha Allah maybe someone else can bring some more daleel for these issues.

Also you said you go off to sleep on your left bcos of the tv being on, can you not switch it off before sleep, or is it that you share room with someone.

Hadith - Bukhari 3:428, Narrated Said bin Abu Al-Hasan

While I was with Ibn 'Abbas a man came and said, "O father of 'Abbas! My sustenance is from my manual profession and I make these pictures." Ibn 'Abbas said, "I will tell you only what I heard from Allah's Apostle . I heard him saying, 'Whoever makes a picture will be punished by Allah till he puts life in it, and he will never be able to put life in it.' " Hearing this, that man heaved a sigh and his face turned pale. Ibn 'Abbas said to him, "What a pity! If you insist on making pictures I advise you to make pictures of trees and any other unanimated objects."

Hadith -Bukhari 4:47, Narrated 'Aisha

I stuffed for the Prophet a pillow decorated with pictures (of animals) which looked like a Namruqa (i.e. a small cushion). He came and stood among the people with excitement apparent on his face. I said, "O Allah's Apostle! What is wrong?" He said, "What is this pillow?" I said, "I have prepared this pillow for you, so that you may recline on it." He said, "Don't you know that angels do not enter a house wherein there are pictures; and whoever makes a picture will be punished on the Day of Resurrection and will be asked to give life to (what he has created)?"

Narrated Abdullaah ibn 'Umar (d.73H) radiallaahu 'anhu: Allaah's Messenger sallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said, "Those who make these images (suwar) will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be said to them, make alive what you have created." (Al-Bukhaaree 7/541, no.835; Muslim, 3/160, no.,5268)

"Whatever hangs below both ankles from the lower garment (izaar) is in the Fire." [Bukhaari, An-Nisai]

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Thank you for the reply. That cleared things up a LOT.

But, when Muhammad :saw: says that "angels will not enter a house with pictures in it" does that mean even camera photos?

samiha

---------
Staff member
Assalam.

I think that if it is camera photos, then they are not allowed to be hung on the walls, rather they should be thrown away if they don't serve a purpose, or kept if they are needed. (but not on the wall)

Ok, the pants thing. I have a book on Izaar(I hope i'm spelling it right, the book's not nearby), it's lol my dad's actually but anyway, it shows how important pulling the pants up is. It says that is it permissible to wear the pants at the ankle, but not below, because it is in the hellfire. However, the Sunnah is to wear the pants between the knee and the foot like the shin area.

Grr... people always try to say they don't wear their pants below their ankles out of arrogance, but I would like to counter, that if it's not out of arrogance, why not pull them up??

anyway, enough rants, i may post hadith accordingly later.

Wassalam.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Thank you for your answer samiha. That cleared things up in regard to the pictures thing. And also, thank you for clearing things up more for the pants and ankles subject.

SisterAmina

A Salamu Alaikum

Here is Hadith from Sahih AlBukhari about sleeping on the right side

Hadith Bukhari, 75-323. Narrated Al-Bara bin 'Azib:

Allah's Apostle said to me, "When you want to go to bed, perform ablution as you do for prayer, then lie down on your right side and say: 'Allahumma aslamtu wajhi ilaika, wa fauwadtu Amri ilaika wa aljatu zahri ilaika, raghbatan wa rahbatan ilaika, lamalja'a wa la manna mink a ill a ilaika. Amantu bikitabi kalladhi anzalta wa bi nabiyyikal-ladhi arsalta'. If you should die then (after reciting this) you will die on the religion of Islam (i.e., as a Muslim); so let these words be the last you say (before going to bed)" While I was memorizing it, I said, "Wa birasiulikal-ladhi arsalta (in Your Apostle whom You have sent).' The Prophet said, "No, but say: Wa binabiyyi-kalladhi arsalta (in Your Prophet whom You have sent)."

Wa Alaikum Asalam

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
A Salamu Alaikum

Here is Hadith from Sahih AlBukhari about sleeping on the right side

Hadith Bukhari, 75-323. Narrated Al-Bara bin 'Azib:

Allah's Apostle said to me, "When you want to go to bed, perform ablution as you do for prayer, then lie down on your right side and say: 'Allahumma aslamtu wajhi ilaika, wa fauwadtu Amri ilaika wa aljatu zahri ilaika, raghbatan wa rahbatan ilaika, lamalja'a wa la manna mink a ill a ilaika. Amantu bikitabi kalladhi anzalta wa bi nabiyyikal-ladhi arsalta'. If you should die then (after reciting this) you will die on the religion of Islam (i.e., as a Muslim); so let these words be the last you say (before going to bed)" While I was memorizing it, I said, "Wa birasiulikal-ladhi arsalta (in Your Apostle whom You have sent).' The Prophet said, "No, but say: Wa binabiyyi-kalladhi arsalta (in Your Prophet whom You have sent)."

Wa Alaikum Asalam

Thank you for the Hadith. Insha'Allah, I'll be sure to memorize that and recite it before I sleep.

sky_012

Jazak Allah Khair everybody for the duaa and the information shared here

May Allah SWT Rewards you Ameen

:wassalam:

but please can you give the name of the duaa and it's translation please sothat it'll be easier

Jazak Allah Khair in advance

sky_012

Jazak Allah Khair for the website, it is so great i can find any other duaa as well

Jazak Allah Khair

May Allah SWT Reards you Ameen
:wassalam: