Question: Dream interpretation?

AyeshaPS

A Mu'minah Wannabe!
Assalam Alaikum Warahmatullahi !
I had this dream a couple of days ago and thought might ask about it's interpretation here!
Im standing on this narrow road that's got trees lined up at both the sides, the place is beautiful MashaAllah!
There's three men that follow me and have guns in their hands. I run from them and somehow reach a place nearby where my father's lying down (not sleeping), I hold his hands tightly and the men point their guns toward me. They tell me to denounce Islam and I reply back firmly reciting the Shahadah ( "I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allah and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and messenger." ).
Now it's got me a little worried! What do you think it might mean in real life. Ofcourse it could be just a thought too.
I saw it around the afternoon time, if that helps!

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Wa Alaikkum Asalaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Sis interpretation of dreams is a risky business, sometimes it's just to acknowledge that 'it was just a dream' and move on. From the Holy Qur'an we read that the Prophets of Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala were given revelations through dreams but they were not ordinary men. Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala gave them knowledge and wisdom in how to discern what they were dreaming. One Prophet of God who was given special favour in dream interpretation is Prophet Yusuf (Alayhi Salaam).

Some dreams are just dreams and we do not need to interpret it.

Salaam

AyeshaPS

A Mu'minah Wannabe!
Wa Alaikkum Asalaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

Sis interpretation of dreams is a risky business, sometimes it's just to acknowledge that 'it was just a dream' and move on. From the Holy Qur'an we read that the Prophets of Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala were given revelations through dreams but they were not ordinary men. Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala gave them knowledge and wisdom in how to discern what they were dreaming. One Prophet of God who was given special favour in dream interpretation is Prophet Yusuf (Alayhi Salaam).

Salaam

JazakAllahu Khairan for your time Akhi!
I agree. Some matters are to be left the way they are, diving deeper only confuses one more!!
May Allah SWT reward you immensely!
Wassalam

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

Sister, I've read a hadith in Bukhari, which stated that dreams do not have any affect "unless" that person starts looking for their interpretation and what they mean. So its best to discard your dream and move on without a thought - we don't have any dream interpreters here anyway, as you know.

EDIT: I have been searching and searching for the hadith but cannot find it. I *have* read it either in the hadiths given as footnotes in the Quran, or in Bukhari. I tried searching online, and have found an audio lecture where they mention the hadith without a reference though..

http://www.sacredlearning.org/audio/general/2006/interpreting_dreams.mp3

Hadith is mentioned from the 16:00 minute mark onwards. It says when an individual has a dream, that dream spins around that person's head, until it gains an interpretation - when the interpretation happens, it sticks to that person the 'way' they interpeted it.
Edit again: Found more references...
“Waki bin Udus narrated that Abu Razin Al-Uqaili said: Allah’s Messenger (PBUH) said, ‘The believer’s dreams are a portion of the forty six portions of Prophet-hood. And it is on the leg of a bird, as long as it is not spoken of. But when it is spoken of, it drops.’I think he said: And it should not be discussed except with an intelligent one or a beloved one.”
(Hadith No. 2278, Chapters on Dreams, Jami’ At-Tirmidhi, Vol. 4).

A dream does not come true as long as the dreamer keeps it to himself. If revealed, it comes true. Therefore, tell your dreams only, to the ones who are wise, who loves you and who can give advice to you.” (related by Tirmizi)

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Tabassum07, you took the words straight out of my mouth. The Hadeeth which you mention also uses the word wing instead of the leg of a bird, which basically accentuates the delicacy of the matter - if your dream is mentioned, the wing will break and what is said in its regard will take on the interpretation. And the mention of it being 1/46th parts of Prophethood has an interesting explanation. The ratio is basically understood to be a length of the time of Prophethood - which started at the age of 40 (for he, sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) and went for 23 years (excuse the numbers, trying to make it visually comprehensive). And because he (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) was having frequent dreams which were true in nature 6 months prior to Prophethood, the ratio is this: 6 is to 23 as 1 is to 46.

Abu Loren, indeed, you are right, dreams are a very risky and delicate science. You also said:

And to this I would like to add that dreams are dreams, but they are not just that. There are types of dreams, and there are types of people, and specific types come to specific people, but of the three types, the true dreams only come to Believers. That's not to say that every dream a believer has is true, as there are two other types. Just as you said that the Prophets had dreams, and some were given the gift of interpretation, as were some Companions. The other two types are that they are the product of one's consciousness and the third, that they are from Shaytaan, and his purpose here is to cause grief to the Believer. This is the reason we are told to not mention our uneasy dreams, because it basically gives Shaytaan something to brood about, and his pleasure and goal in seeing us ranting to someone else about a troubling dream is fulfilled. And these are usually long and twisted, these are meaningless and are solely from him.

And to assure AyeshaPKS, the timing of the dream does not matter as we are told that the dreams of the day are equal to the dreams of the night. At this stage, having already recounted it, seek refuge with Allah and ask that the dream follows an interpretation in accordance with His will and not of the accursed.

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!

[USER=109918]Abu Loren
, indeed, you are right, dreams are a very risky and delicate science. You also said:

And to this I would like to add that dreams are dreams, but they are not just that. There are types of dreams, and there are types of people, and specific types come to specific people, but of the three types, the true dreams only come to Believers. That's not to say that every dream a believer has is true, as there are two other types. Just as you said that the Prophets had dreams, and some were given the gift of interpretation, as were some Companions. The other two types are that they are the product of one's consciousness and the third, that they are from Shaytaan, and his purpose here is to cause grief to the Believer. This is the reason we are told to not mention our uneasy dreams, because it basically gives Shaytaan something to brood about, and his pleasure and goal in seeing us ranting to someone else about a troubling dream is fulfilled. And these are usually long and twisted, these are meaningless and are solely from him.

Narrated Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri:
The Prophet :saw: said, "If anyone of you sees a dream that he likes, then it is from Allah, and he should thank Allah for it and narrate it to others; but if he sees something else, i.e., a dream that he dislikes, then it is from Satan, and he should seek refuge with Allah from its evil, and he should not mention it to anybody, for it will not harm him."

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 6985
In-book reference : Book 91, Hadith 4
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 9, Book 87, Hadith 114

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Mahzala, I didn't really understand what you were saying with the "6 is to 23" and "1 is to 46." What is the analogy? Could you please explain once more?

Coming to your second point, that dreams of the day do not differ from dreams of the night - the audio lecture I posted above has the shaykh saying the opposite. He says when we sleep at night, we are taking a break from the dunya. But if for instance we sleep after fajr, we are already connected back to the dunya, so those dreams are usually not very important ones. Similarly he would say that daytime dreams are even more connected to the dunya. Just pointing something out which I found interesting, but it is probably just the shaykh's opinion and he didn't mention any daleel or anything for it.

Mahzala

Tabassum07, basically the ratio is explained by scholars for people who want to know why dreams are a 46th part of Prophethood.

Dreams = 1/46 Prophethood
Prophethood = 23 years
Dreams before Prophethood (direct and true dreams*) = 6 months

Ration= 6:23 is equal to 1:46

Better?

With regards to the other point you make, perhaps I wasn't as clear in my response, the timing factor is explained to say that the righteous/true dreams are not dependent on timing. (The explanation I posted earlier is in fact a narration from Ibn Seerin and is in Sahih Bukhaari). Other scholars are of the opinion, different to Ibn Seerin's, who say that the time before Fajr, and the midday nap before Dhuhr are good indications as to having righteous and true dreams.

Abu Loren, thank you for finding the Hadeeth. In addition to mentioning our dreams, one should remember such righteous dreams are a gift from Allah, a form of knowledge, so again, we are warned to not become boastful or arrogant. And on the other hand, we are also told not to mention our dreams to envious people, as is evident in Surah Yusuf. Righteous and good dreams should either be narrated to someone you love, a scholar who has expert knowledge on dream interpretation, or someone who can advise you.

* The direct are the ones that quickly manifest and are true. Then there are the indirect, or ones that are symbolic and need some sort of explanation, are delicate and difficult to understand, or some scholars say, among these are the meaningless and those from Shaytaan.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
:bismillah1:

Sister Ayesha,

From personal experience, finding the meaning of dream is near to impossible. It the dream is true and worth it, By Time, you will come to know the meaning and the message of your dream. InshaaAllah. So, don't waste time over it and look ahead. :)

P.S - I am still yet to find the actual meaning of my dream, but I got to know the final result of it. Alhamdulilah. :)

Peace.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Either I have forgotten mathematics, or there's some mistake. I am still unable to fathom how the ratio 6:23 is mathematically equal to 1:46.

For example, 6:23 can be written as 12:46, but definitely not 1:46????

Anyway, I find this irrelevant to the discussion, so I'm not really looking for further discussion on this ratio.

Mahzala

Either I have forgotten mathematics, or there's some mistake. I am still unable to fathom how the ratio 6:23 is mathematically equal to 1:46.

For example, 6:23 can be written as 12:46, but definitely not 1:46????

Anyway, I find this irrelevant to the discussion, so I'm not really looking for further discussion on this ratio.

True, it is irrelevant, I was just following on the Hadeeth you posted, but what it is in fact saying that in every one year, there is two sets of six months, yes? So, 1:46 would make sense in the case of 6 months: 23 years? (Note the 'years' and 'months' ratio) So 2 x 23 = 46, thus dreams being a 46th part of Prophethood ... make sense?

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
salam 'alikum,I have a bit f experience about dreams,it may be a gift or a burden which I have to bear,because the 70%of dreams I make come true,they leave me a lot of signs that I've learnt to understand.many times I try to avoid the matter,but when it happens exaclty what I've dreamt,I get worried about myself....the narrow road means that there is not much time left to finish what it has begun.the trees on both the sides are the memories of the past you're trying to remove from you mind.the 3 men are something which tries to bring you back,making a choice which can make easier your path but it could make you be far from the path you took.the father lying down and you were tighting him,it's that maybe the ones who could help you in realty can't do very much,because you've alread,y taken the choice but you fear tha you'll fail.........of course I'm not a dream interpreter,but it maybe is nearer to the truth than you image,wa Allahu 'alim

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Assalam Alaikum Warahmatullahi !
I had this dream a couple of days ago and thought might ask about it's interpretation here!
Im standing on this narrow road that's got trees lined up at both the sides, the place is beautiful MashaAllah!
There's three men that follow me and have guns in their hands. I run from them and somehow reach a place nearby where my father's lying down (not sleeping), I hold his hands tightly and the men point their guns toward me. They tell me to denounce Islam and I reply back firmly reciting the Shahadah ( "I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allah and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and messenger." ).
Now it's got me a little worried! What do you think it might mean in real life. Ofcourse it could be just a thought too.
I saw it around the afternoon time, if that helps!

:wasalam:
Regardless of its meaning, I think this is a way, way better dream than the silly ones I usually have. Masha'Allaah. =)

AyeshaPS

A Mu'minah Wannabe!
salam 'alikum,I have a bit f experience about dreams,it may be a gift or a burden which I have to bear,because the 70%of dreams I make come true,they leave me a lot of signs that I've learnt to understand.many times I try to avoid the matter,but when it happens exaclty what I've dreamt,I get worried about myself....the narrow road means that there is not much time left to finish what it has begun.the trees on both the sides are the memories of the past you're trying to remove from you mind.the 3 men are something which tries to bring you back,making a choice which can make easier your path but it could make you be far from the path you took.the father lying down and you were tighting him,it's that maybe the ones who could help you in realty can't do very much,because you've alread,y taken the choice but you fear tha you'll fail.........of course I'm not a dream interpreter,but it maybe is nearer to the truth than you image,wa Allahu 'alim

JazakAllah for the effort Ukthi! May Allah SWT reward you abundantly!
That been said, I can't quite relate to your interpretation! Again though, JazakAllahu khairan for your time! :)

AyeshaPS

A Mu'minah Wannabe!
JazakAllahu Khairan for your effort and time Akhis and Ukhtis!
I've left the matter to Allah SWT! InshaAllah He'll guide me!
However, I'm happy i confidently said the shahadah.
I'd like to interpret it as difficulties in dunyah, however my holding onto the rope of Allah SWT all through! And i pray that is how it is in reality too InshaAllah!
Wassalam