Du'as in bathroom

iman27

Salam alaikum ramatullahi wa barakatu, I have a question that insha'Allah someone can answer. I have index cards with the tranliteration and english translation of the du'as you're supposed to say when you start wudu and when you leave the bathroom, my question is, is it haram to have these hanging in the bathroom? My husbands cousin said it is because they say Allah on them. The words aren't in Arabic though. I hope insha'Allah someone can answer and show me documentation where it says that.
Jazakallahu khairn in advance.

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom

sister, you said it has Dua'a even though its not in arabic it has Allah name in it,
Bathroom Etiquette
1- It is not allowed to carry anything that has Allah's name (or any of His holy names) with him to where he is urinating.. As this is considered to be a Najis (impure) place that is not appropriate to carry or mention Allah's name(s).

Also when a Muslim passed by the prophet SAAWS while he was in the Khala, he said the greeting (Salam) to the prophet, but he SAAWS did not answer his greeting.

2- He/she should enter "Al khala" or the bathroom with his/her left leg and say: "Allahomma Inny A'ootho Bika Mina 'l 'khobothi Wa 'l 'khaba'ith" or: "O' Allah: I seek refuge in you from male and female noxious beings (devils or evil Jinn)"

He/she should go out with his/her right leg and say: "Ghof'ranak" or "O' Allah: I seek your forgiveness". Also the prophet SAAWS used to say when going out: "Alhamdu Lillah, Allathy Afany Wa Akhraja Al Atha Minny" or: "All grace to Allah (thanks to Allah) who protected (cured) me, and relieved me from filth/harm"

*I personally believe the last Dua'a is so important, as it is a big grace to be able to get relieved from the filth or harm.. we only feel it when we are sick! so I guess it's so appropriate to thank Allah for this grace.

3- One should not talk. It is not appropriate for a Muslim while urinating to talk or discuss matters. Many scholars said it is "dislike" or "Makrooh".

4- One should move and hide himself from others, as the prophet SAAWS only relieved himself when he was out of site.

5- One should neither face nor turn his back to the "Qibla" while relieving himself. *This is actually what Islamic Housing designs should consider when building the bathrooms or toilets.

6- One should use his left hand for the cleaning after urinating "Estinjaa", as it is more appropriate. It is Makrooh to use his right hand for this purpose or to touch his private parts with it.

"Salman was once asked: Your prophet teaches you everything, even how to relieve yourselves?

Salman said: Certainly.... he forbade us from facing the Qiblah while doing so, from cleaning ourselves with our right hand, and from cleaning ourselves with less than three stones. We also should not use an impure substance or a bone to clean our selves" (Muslim, Abu Dawood and At-Tirmidhy

and you can read this
Question: If it is wrong to say Allah's name in the bathroom, how can we make mention of Allah before performing wudû’ and how can we offer the prescribed supplications upon entering and leaving the bathroom?

Answered by Sheikh Sâmî al-Mâjid

The supplication to enter toilets should be read before entering, not after. It is disliked to mention Allah’s name in toilets or bathrooms due to the respect that should be given to Allah’s name.

Ablution should be performed outside of bathrooms. It is permissible to do so inside in case it is otherwise difficult. Mentioning Allah’s name before performing wûdû’ in the bathroom should be pronounced in secret – since some scholars are of the opinion that mentioning Allah’s name is obligatory unless the worshipper unintentionally forgets to do so.

The supplication to be made after relieving oneself and the one to be offered upon the completing of wûdû’ should both be recited after leaving the bathroom.

wa salaam alikom

Angeleyes

Thank you for the information. I always wondered the same thing. I have a question tho....

What about if you are taking a bath or shower. I am always singing. lollll. And sometimes I sing islamic songs. it just comes out. is that haram too?

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Thank you for the information. I always wondered the same thing. I have a question tho....

What about if you are taking a bath or shower. I am always singing. lollll. And sometimes I sing islamic songs. it just comes out. is that haram too?

Wa alaykum salam, Try not to sing for the sake of people who might hear you! lol ..joking

I think it is inappropriate to be mentioning anything Islamic whilst you are taking a bath or shower.

The Late Mufti of Saudi Arabia, Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz said:

Remembering Allaah in one's heart is permissible at all times and in all places, in the washroom and elsewhere. Rather what is makrooh in the washroom and similar places is to remember Allaah on one’s tongue (by speaking), except for saying Bismillaah when beginning to do wudoo’. He should say that if it is not easy for him to do wudoo’ outside the bathroom, because it is obligatory according to some of the scholars, and it is Sunnah mu’akkadah (a confirmed Sunnah) according to the majority.

Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 5/408

iman27

Salam alaikum ramatullah, jazakallahu khairn for your informative answers, I didn't know it was disliked to make wudu in the bathroom because every muslim I know makes wudu in the bathroom. Maybe they don't know either, but insha'Allah I will tell them of the info I learned today.
Masalam

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
Salam alaikum ramatullah, jazakallahu khairn for your informative answers, I didn't know it was disliked to make wudu in the bathroom because every muslim I know makes wudu in the bathroom. Maybe they don't know either, but insha'Allah I will tell them of the info I learned today.
Masalam

salaam alikom

Its disliked but if we now days most washing place are within the bathroom so you can not sepearte them... as the shiekh said

It is permissible to do so inside in case it is otherwise difficult. Mentioning Allah’s name before performing wûdû’ in the bathroom should be pronounced in secret – since some scholars are of the opinion that mentioning Allah’s name is obligatory unless the worshipper unintentionally forgets

Islam is an easy religion we dont have to make hard on our self if you can do Wudu out side that good but if there isnt any place except bathroom as we have it in now days apartments then.. you just pronounced in secert in your heart.

wa allah al3lam

wa salaam alikom