Dying as a martyr

-Marwan-

:salam2:

I keep hearing that if a person dies as a martyr then he/she goes straight to jannah is this true or not?

And if it is then what kind of martyrs, the one who fight for the sake of Allah or other kind of martyrs? and does the martyr go straight to jannah without punishment in grave?

Jazakallah khairan

:wasalam:

Ershad

:salam2:

I keep hearing that if a person dies as a martyr then he/she goes straight to jannah is this true or not?

And if it is then what kind of martyrs, the one who fight for the sake of Allah or other kind of martyrs? and does the martyr go straight to jannah without punishment in grave?

Jazakallah khairan

:wasalam:

Walaikkum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Interesting question.

From Tafsir Ibn Kathir, Surah Muhammad.

Merit of the Martyrs

Since it is customary during wars that many of the believers die, Allah says:

(But those who are killed in the way of Allah, He will never let their deeds be lost.) which means that He would not let their good deeds go to waste, but would rather multiply and increase them. Some of them will continue being rewarded for their good deeds for the entire length of their stay in Al-Barzakh. This has been mentioned in a Hadith recorded by Imam Ahmad in his Musnad on the authority of Kathir bin Murrah, who reported from Qays Al-Judhami, may Allah be pleased with him, that Allah's Messenger said,

(As the first drop of his blood gushes forth, a martyr is granted six merits: all of his sins are forgiven, he is shown his place in Paradise, he is married to wide-eyed Huris, he is secured from the great fear (on Judgement Day) and the torment of the grave, and he is adorned with the adornments of Iman.) Ahmad was alone in recording this Hadith. Abu Ad-Darda', may Allah be pleased with him, reported that Allah's Messenger said,

(A martyr is allowed to intercede for seventy members of his household. ) This was recorded by Abu Dawud, and there are numerous other Hadiths mentioning the merits of the martyrs. As for Allah's saying,

(He will guide them) meaning, He will guide them to Jannah. This is similar to Allah's saying,

(Indeed, those who have believed and done righteous good deeds, their Lord will guide them because of their Faith: beneath them rivers will flow in the Gardens of Pleasure.) (10:9) Allah says,

(and amend their condition.) meaning, their situation and affairs.

(And (He will) admit them to Paradise, which He has made known to them.) It means that He has acquainted them with Paradise and guided them to it. Mujahid said: "The people of Paradise will be guided to their houses and dwellings and whatever sections Allah has ordained for them in it. They will not make mistakes in this, nor will they ask anyone for directions to their dwellings -- as if they had dwelt in it from the time they were first created.'' Al-Bukhari recorded from Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri, may Allah be pleased with him, that Allah's Messenger said,

(After the believers securely pass the Fire (on the Day of Judgement), they will be held back upon a bridge between Paradise and the Fire. There, they will have any acts of injustice that they committed against one another in the life of this world rectified. After they are completely purified and cleansed (from injustice), they will be admitted into Paradise. By the One in Whose Hand is my soul, each one of them will find his way to his dwelling in Paradise better than he found his way to his dwelling in the worldly life.)

Source:http://abdurrahman.org/qurantafseer/ibnkathir/ibnkathir_web/47.48936.html

Q: Will a martyr who does not die in the battlefield be called to account, taking into account that martyrs are of some divisions, as we all know? Will a martyr intercede with Allah for seventy people? Will all martyr's evil deeds be pardoned except debts?

A: As reported in the Sahih Hadith (the authentic Hadith): All martyr's evil deeds are pardoned for them except debts Thus, all evil deeds of a martyr who is killed in Allah's Cause while fighting patiently and courageously will be forgiven for them, as said by the Prophet (peace be upon him)
(Part No. 4; Page No. 338)
"Except debts" He then added: "It is Gabriel who told me so."
The right of a creditor does not go to waste, as Allah will please him for his right and give him his right on the Day of Resurrection. All evil deeds of a martyr will be forgiven for him, but a debt on a martyr will be repaid by Allah on behalf of the martyr. As long as a Muslim dies of the injuries he undergoes while fighting in Allah's Cause patiently and courageously whether he dies in the battlefield or some days and nights later, he is regarded as a martyr. It is worth mentioning that martyrs are of some divisions, but the best martyr is the one who dies in the battlefield while fighting in Allah's Cause. Martyrs also include a person who dies of plague, or of abdominal disease, or is buried alive under a falling building or in a car accident or who dies of drowning. These are the divisions of martyrdom. However, the best martyr is the one who dies in Allah's Cause, whose dead body is not washed and Muslims do not offer funeral prayer on him. As for other divisions of martyrs, their bodies are washed and Muslims offer funeral prayer on them though they are considered to be martyrs. As for intercession made by martyrs, the Sahih Hadith reads that the right of intercession is granted to a martyr who is killed in Allah's Cause while fighting patiently and courageously. This Hadith talks about the martyr who is killed in Allah's Cause. As for other divisions of martyrdom, the whole matter is up to Allah. It is true that other martyrs have some merit, but their being interceders with Allah for some matters
(Part No. 4; Page No. 339)
or being pardoned for all their evil deeds, it is a matter that needs more consideration and requires specific evidence. However, they get the merit of martyrdom.

Source:http://alifta.com/Fatawa/FatawaChapters.aspx?View=Page&PageID=520&PageNo=1&BookID=8

If you are interested in Hadith relating to divisions of Martyrs (other than those who die fighting in the way of Allah) - Read - Martyrdom without Fighting
(Imam Al-Nawawi's Riyad-us-Saliheen)

Baarakallahu feekum .

Wassalamu alaikkum

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Asalamualaykum,

I was wondering about the reference for "Martyrs also include a person who dies of plague, or of abdominal disease, or is buried alive under a falling building or in a car accident or who dies of drowning. These are the divisions of martyrdom."

This is what I found: [maybe the refs need verification wrt numbers]

"Allah's Apostle said, 'Five are regarded as martyrs: They are those who die because of plague, abdominal disease, drowning, a falling building, and the martyrs in Allah's Cause.'" [Bukhari]

"Allah's Messenger said: 'Whom do you consider to be a martyr among you?' The Companions said: 'One who is slain in Allah's Cause is a martyr.' He said: 'Then the martyrs of my Umma will be small in number.' They asked: 'Prophet, who are martyrs then?' He said: 'One who is slain in Allah's Cause is a martyr; one who dies in the Way of Allah is a martyr; one who dies of plague is a martyr; one who dies of cholera is a martyr.'" [Muslim]

I dont know where "car accidents" come from or "burning to death", although I have heard these as well. I also heard a woman who dies in childbirth...

Maybe someone can shed more light...

Ershad

Walaikkum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Yes; it was related by Imam Malik in "Al-Muwatta'", by Ahmad in "Al-Musnad (Hadith Compilation)" by Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah, and Al-Nasa'y in their "Sunan (Hadith compilations classified by jurisprudential themes)", Ibn Hibban in his "Sahih (Book of Authentic Hadith)", and Al-Hakim in "Al-Mustadrak", on the authority of Jabir ibn ‘Atik, who said that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “There are seven types of martyrs, other than being killed in the Cause of Allah: one who is killed in the Cause of Allah is a martyr, one who dies in a plague is a martyr, one who drowns is a martyr, one who dies of pleurisy is a martyr, one who dies of an abdominal disease is a martyr, one who dies in a fire is a martyr, one who dies under a collapsed building is a martyr, and a woman who dies during childbirth is a martyr.” Al-Nawawy said that this is a Hadith Sahih (a Hadith that has been transmitted by people known for their uprightness and exactitude; free from eccentricity and blemish)

If you want the exact references, you can go to the source and put your cursor over the hadith (in blue), you will find the references.

Baarakallahu feekum