Ellison’s Oath in Koran Roils Conservatives

duran

Abdirahman Aynte
Fellow, the Center for Independent Media

Kieth-Quran.jpg

Minneapolis, MN – (HOL) - Before he became the nation’s first Muslim elected to Congress, Democrat Keith Ellison was called “unfit” for Congress by his Republican opponent. And that was just the beginning.

Ellison is setting yet another precedent in January when he takes the oath of office in the Koran, Islam’s holiest book—an event that evoked conservatives to accuse him of deviating his allegiance from the Constitution to Allah.

On Tuesday, conservative radio talk show host and columnist Dennis Prager wrote: “America is interested in only one book, the Bible.” Directly addressing Ellison, he added “If you are incapable of taking an oath on that book, don’t serve in Congress.”

Ellison said that he’s not changing his mind about the sacred text he’s swearing on.

“The Constitution guarantees for everyone to take the oath of office on whichever book they prefer,” he said in a telephone interview. “And that’s what the freedom of religion is all about.”

According to Roll Call, the Capitol Hills’ newspaper, swearing on a particular sacred text is a symbolic, optional affair for House members who would like a photo-op with the Speaker of the House at the end of the mass swearing-in ceremony, which has no specific religious denomination.

In his scathing article, Prager barely stopped short of calling Ellison a racist, but he said that allowing Ellison to swear on the Koran is akin to allowing a “racist” to choose “the Nazis’ Bible for his oath.”

And though he suggests that the Bible is the exclusive book, in which Americans should swear on, plenty of elected officials locally and nationally have taken their oath on the Torah.

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, a Florida Democrat, who’s Jewish, refused to use a Christian Bible in her swearing-in ceremony in 2005. Eventually, she borrowed a Hebrew Bible from a colleague. Others officials, including four U.S presidents have skipped swearing on the Bible all together.

The foray into Ellison’s oath on the Koran, led by Prager and a cadre of conservative bloggers, is seen rapacious by Muslims and tendentious by most experts.

“It’s a clear double standard in our society,” said David Landry, professor of theology at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul. “There’s a lot of anti-Muslim bigotry in it.”

Rev. Meg Riley, director of Advocacy and Witness Programs at Unitarian Universalist Association, said that “Ellison is swearing on the Koran to uphold the Constitution of this country.”

“He’s not swearing on the Constitution to uphold the Koran.”

And by doing that, she said, he’s just using his desired sacred text to affirm his allegiance.

For Muslims, Prager’s column not only rekindles old wounds sustained during the campaign, but reflects a faith that’s increasingly becoming a public prey.

“It’s ridiculous and utterly offensive,” said Mahdi Bray, executive director of Muslim American Society’s Freedom Foundation, based in Washington D.C. “But what’s more saddening is that no prominent person is able to respond to those conservatives, because Muslims are easy targets.”

Asked if he’s disappointed with the criticism that seems to be glued to each step he takes, Ellison said that this particular outcry will eventually wane down.

Source: HOL, Dec 01, 2006

Eemaan87

Bismillaahi ir Rahman ir Raheem.

Assaalaamu 'alaikum wa rahmaatullaahi wa baraakaatuh.

As I understand from the Qur'aan and from the scholars' explanations of it, as Muslims we cannot politically support any government that rules with laws other than Allaah's (subhanahu wa ta'ala) laws. Plus, if you look at how the four righteous Caliphs became Caliphs, it's obvious that there is no democracy in Islaam*. Therefore, I'm dissapointed with the fact that this Muslim is even in congress in the first place. (However, it's important to note, that according to saheeh hadeeths and respected scholars, that as long as the rules of the land Muslims live in establishes salaat, we must obeys the laws of the territory, insofar they don't completely contradict Sharia Law.)

As for the non-Muslim American conservatives, well, it doesn't really matter what they think; Allaah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) tells us in the Qur'aan that they will never be pleased with us until we leave our deen and follow their way of life. Just keep things in perspective. It's best if we give them good daw'ah by being setting good examples as Muslims: by following the Qur'aan and Sunnah properly.

*I'm not a scholar, but this is what was explained to me using the evidences of the Qur'aan, saheeh hadeeth, and various commentary by scholars. In my opinion, it's logical and confirms with Islaamic thought, in the sense that we as Muslims don't get to make our own laws (i.e. democracy) but rather, ideally a Khalifate would exist where a Muslim leader with good deen (close to a mertiocracy) establishes salaat and Sharia Law. Insha'Allaah.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
:salam2:
That's great that this guy did this. I heard recently that he was the first Muslim in Congress and heard about this Qur'an controversy. "He doesn't get to choose what book he uses" (so said some guy in the article about this I was reading) - Huh?! That's just against the Constitution when it comes to freedom of religion and free speech.

Therefore, I'm dissapointed with the fact that this Muslim is even in congress in the first place.

Why? Being in Congress doesn't mean you have to agree with wars. In fact; Congress has more power than the President when it comes to law-making. As long as he doesn't break Allah's Law, it doesn't matter where he works.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Bismillaahi ir Rahman ir Raheem.

As I understand from the Qur'aan and from the scholars' explanations of it, as Muslims we cannot politically support any government that rules with laws other than Allaah's (subhanahu wa ta'ala) laws. Plus, if you look at how the four righteous Caliphs became Caliphs, it's obvious that there is no democracy in Islaam*. Therefore, I'm dissapointed with the fact that this Muslim is even in congress in the first place.

Wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

A lot of the major Scholars have ruled that Muslims can vote.
It all depends on where you live and your circumstances! Remember we are talking specifically about Muslims in the Western non-Muslim countries

This is important especially if there is a choice of A) someone who dislikes and will be oppressive to Muslims and B) someone who does not have same policies.
This is the view of the Kibar Ulema e.g. Shaykh Abdul Aziz Ibn Baz Rahimahullah, Shaykh Ibn Uthaymeen (Rahimahullah) and also recently Shaykh Wasi'Allah who is a leading Scholar in Makkah has mentioned it.

You have the right as a citizen of these countries to make the situation for Muslims who unfortunately live here to be better. Are people going to sit back and let some zionist Muslim hating whacko get voted in by the rednecks?

Listen to what the Scholars have had to say on these issues.

Wasalam

AbuHarris

Brother
Keith Ellison, from Catholic to Muslim

سلام عليكم​

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Prior to 2006, few people even knew that then-Minnesota state legislator Keith Ellison was a Muslim. Because of his English name, he said, no one thought to ask.

But five years ago, when he ran for a seat in the United States House of Representatives - a race he would go on to win - word of his religious affiliation began to spread.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]"When I started running for Congress it actually took me by surprise that so many people were fascinated with me being the first Muslim in Congress," ...[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Read more:
[/FONT]http://www.iviews.com/Articles/articles.asp?ref=CN1109-4838

والسلام​

msmoorad

mommys boy
salaams to all

its this kind of mentality/attitude of white americans that makes it so easy for the govt to dupe/manipluate them and for the zionist jews to lead them willingly to their own slaughter.

they have this notion that their people, ways & religion are better & more superior to everyone/everything else but its just their good nature to allow people of other races/religion to live in their country.

there so much proof that no so called Christian politician/member of congress/senator etc is really following the constitution- but they are blind to that.
if they admit that theres only liars, thieves, paedophiles. homos & murderers governing/ruling their country- the whole house of cards will come tumbling down.

thats something they cant accept.
im not saying ALL white americans are like this- but the vast majority are.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah