Examples of the braveness of the sahaba

muslim56

Human Being
All of the sahaba were very courageous , but samples have to be given. There are examples of the bravery of Ali, Abu Bakr , Dhirar ibn Azwar , Khalid ibn Walid ,Zubair ibn Awamm,Talhah ibn Ubaydah, Abu Dunjanh and many others (may Allah be pleased with them). One shows about the bravery of Abu Ayyub Al Ansari. It is shown in the following paragraph :

The last campaign Abu Ayyub Al-Ansari (may Allah be pleased with him) took part in was the one prepared by Mu'awiyah and led by his son Yazid against Constantinople. Abu Ayyub at that time was a very old man, almost eighty years old. But that did not prevent him from joining the army and crossing the seas as a graze in the path of God. After only a short time engaged in the battle, Abu Ayyub fell ill and had to withdraw from fighting. Yazid came to him and asked..

"What is it you need, Abu Ayyub?"

"Convey my salaams to the Muslim armies and say to them:

'Abu Ayyub urges you to penetrate deeply into the territory of the enemy as far as you can go, that you should carry him with you and that you should bury him under your feet at the walls of Constantinople."' Then he breathed his last.

The Muslim army fulfilled the desire of the companion of the Messenger of God. They pushed back the enemy's forces in attack after attack until they reached the walls of Constantinople. There they buried him.
Another story is about Dhirar ibn Azwar :

It was during the Battle of Ajnadein, that took place North of the Dead Sea, between the Muslims and the Romans. Khalid bin Al Waleed was appointed commander of the Muslim army. The Roman army was under the command of a man named Wardan. Although the strength of the Muslim army, of about 32,000 men, was the largest Muslim force yet assembled for battle, the Roman army was almost three times its size..

The battle began with the action of the Roman archers and slingers. The Roman archers, with their better bows, outranged the Muslim bows and to the slingers the Muslims had no effective counter. The battle began with the Muslims at a disadvantage and several Muslims were killed while many were wounded. This suited the Romans very well; and for some time missiles continued to fly from their bows and slings. The Muslims, unable to do anything to offset this Roman advantage, became impatient to attack with sword and lance, but still Khalid restrained them. Finally the impetuous Dhiraar came to Khalid and said, "Why are we waiting when Allah, the Most High, is on our side? By Allah, our enemies will think that we are afraid of them. Order the attack, and we shall attack with you." Khalid decided to let individual champions go into combat against Roman champions. In this duelling the Muslims would have the advantage, and it would be useful to eliminate as many of the Roman officers as possible, as this would in turn reduce the effectiveness of the Roman army. "You may attack, Dhiraar", he said. And the delighted Dhiraar urged his horse forward. Because of the Roman archers, Dhiraar kept on his coat of mail and helmet, and in his hand carried a shield made of elephant hide, which had once belonged to a Roman. Having gone halfway to the Roman line, he stopped and raising his head, gave his personal battle cry: I am the death of the Pale Ones;
I am the killer of the Romans;
I am a scourge sent upon you;
I am Dhiraar bin Al Azwar! As a few of the Roman champions advanced to answer his challenge, Dhiraar quickly dis-robed; and the Romans knew him at once as the Naked Champion. In the next few minutes, Dhiraar killed several Romans, including two generals, one of whom was the governor of Amman and the other the governor of Tiberius. Then a group of 10 officers emerged from the Roman army and moved towards Dhiraar. At this move, Khalid picked 10 of his stalwarts, and riding up, intercepted and killed the Romans. Now more champions came forward from both sides, some individually, others in groups. Gradually, the duelling increased in extent and intensity, and continued for about two hours, during which the Roman archers and slingers remained inactive. This phase more than restored the balance in favor of the Muslims, for most of the Roman champions were killed in combat.
Another is about the courage and determination of Abu Bakr:

The need for military operations against Byzantium began to be felt in the life-time of the Holy Prophet. So Abu Bakr was bound to do something about this danger. In the year 13 A.H., he prepared a big army and divided it into four battalions. Each battalion was put under a separate commander. Each of them was to strike at a different point on the Syrian border. Abu Obaida bin Jarrah was to march on Hims, Amr bin al-Aas on Palestine, Yazid bin Abi Sufyan on Damascus and Shurjil bin Hasna on Jordan.
These battalions were to strike at the enemy at once and the same time. The aim was to keep the enemy from hitting with full force on anyone of the battalions..

Before these armies left, Abu Bakr gave the following instructions to their commanders:

1. Always fear Allah. He knows what is in men's hearts.

2. Be kind to the men under you and treat them well.

3. Directions given should be brief. If too long, they are likely to be forgotten.

4. Improve your conduct first; others will improve when they see your example>

5. Honor the representatives of the enemy.

6. Keep your own arrangement a secret.

7. Be always truthful so you can get good advice.

8. At night when you are free, sit among your men. This will keep you in touch with them.

9. Make good arrangements for the watch and ward of the army.

10. Keep away from untruthful men. Be intimate with truthful and faithful companions.

11. Be sincere to all whom you have dealings.

12. Beward of cowardice and dishonesty.

13. You will come across people who have given up the world and are spending their days in place of worship. Leave such people alone.

The news of the Muslim invasion upset Emperor Heracleus. He was in Jerusalem at that time. He sought the advice of his nobles. He himself was in favor of coming to terms with the Muslims. "It is better to give up half of Syria," he said, "than lose the whole of it." To this the nobles did not agree.
So four huge armies were sent by the emperor to fight the Muslims. His own brother was leading one of the armies. Each army was several times more numerous than the Muslim army it had to fight. This made the Muslim commanders give thought to the matter. They met together for mutual counsel. One of them pinpointed the folly of fighting separately. "We will be crushed under the sheer weight of numbers," he said, "if we fight separately." The other generals saw the point. They agreed upon a plan to merge the four battalions into a single army. Thus, they thought, the Muslim army would stop looking too small in its own eyes. They informed the Caliph of their decision. He approved of it and sent the following written message:

"Muslims can never be defeated because of small numbers. But if their own sins overwhelm them, they will meet defeat. So let you all keep away from sins of all kinds."

And so let us think about the courage and determination of the sahaba . I shall now give one more bravery story:

One of the most distinguished women who took part in the battle of Uhud, if not the most distinguished of them, was Nasibah bint Ka'b al-Maziniyyah, Umm 'Umarah (May Allah be pleased with her). At the beginning of the battle, she was bringing water and tending the wounded, as the other women were doing. When the battle was going in the favor of the Muslims, the archers disobeyed the command of the Prophet (saw), and this turned the victory into defeat, as the Qur'an described it: "Behold! You were climbing up the high ground, without even casting a side glance at anyone, and the Messenger in your rear was calling you back.." (3:153)

At this point, Nasibah went forward, with her sword unsheathed and her bow in her hand, to join the small group who were standing firm with the Prophet, acting as a human shield to protect him from the arrows of the non-believers. Every time danger approached the Prophet, she hastened to protect him. The Messenger of Allah noticed this, and later said, "Wherever I turned, to the left or the right, I saw her fighting for me." Her son 'Umarah also described what happened on that tremendous day, "On that day, I was wounded in my left hand. A man who seemed to be as tall as a palm-tree struck me, then went away without pursuing me to finish me off. The blood began to flow copiously, so the Messenger of Allah told me, 'Bind up your wound.' My mother came to me, and she was wearing a waist-wrapper. She dressed my wound, whilst the Prophet was looking on. Then she told me, 'Get up, my son, and fight the people.' The Prophet (saw) said, 'Who could bear what you are putting up with, O Umm 'Umarah?' She said: The man who had struck my son was passing by at that moment and the Messenger of Allah (saw) said, 'This is the one who struck your son.' I intercepted him and hit him in the thigh, and he collapsed. I saw the Messenger of Allah smiling so broadly that I could see his back teeth. He said, 'You have taken your revenge, O Umm 'Umarah!' Then we struck him with our weapons until we killed him, and the Prophet (saw) said: 'Praise be to Allah (swt), who granted you victory over him, gave you the satisfaction of taking revenge on your enemy, and let you see the vengeance for yourself." On this day, Nasibah herself received many wounds whilst she was fighting the people and striking their chests. The Prophet (saw) saw her, and called to her son, "Your mother! Your mother! See to her wounds, may Allah (swt) bless you and your household! Your mother has fought better than so-and-so." When his mother heard what the Prophet said, she said, "Pray to Allah (swt) that we may accompany you in Paradise." He said, "O Allah, make them my companions in Paradise." She said, " I do not care what befalls me in this world."