Fancy Masajid: Are they really needed?

Should we or Shouldn't we build FANCY Masjids!

• I am a Muslim man and I don’t think that we should have FANCY Masjids

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • I am a Muslim man and I think that we should have FANCY Masjids

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I am a Muslim woman and I don’t think that we should have FANCY Masjids

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • I am a Muslim woman and I think that we should have FANCY Masjids

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

I am neither an Islamic scholar nor a knowledgeable person but I do believe that in this day and age when our sisters are having to work 2 jobs to make ends meet, fancy Masajid with millions and millions spent on decorating them are UNNECESSARY!

I think we as an Ummah MUST learn Money management. If our leaders & Imams don’t know HOW to manage money, how will We learn?
We should spend money on Islamic Schools and “functional structures” which accommodate the community and NOT get in debt (like most Mosques in UK)!

http://www.zakariyyamasjid.org/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/faith/2003/10/central_jamia_mosque_quran_reading.shtml

There are many many examples up and down the country!

P.S: I went to Norway and Muslims there in smaller communities are struggling to pay rent for their Mussallas & not far from them; we in UK have Masajid which use the Wudhu Towels ONCE & then throw them in the wash!

umm hussain

Asalam alaikum warahmatullah

I think it is one of the signs of the end of times. I don't have references with me at the moment, but it goes something like at the end of times there will be beautiful masjids but very little acts of worship in them. People a re more worried about building the best looking and most expensive masjid and keeping it clean rather than the form of worship. Look at the a few years back it was enough for people just to put a roof over ground, supported by poles to pray just incase of rain or too much sunlight and these were the most pious of people. In the time of the prophet Muhammad(s.a.w) Mosques were very simple but some of us can NEVER compare to the people back then in terms of deeds and they were the best of generations.

Alhamdulillah some Mosques still serve their purpose especially in dunya poor countries. Poor in Dunya but rich in Akhira inshallah.

Just like some people will decorate Qu'rans and that they should not be touched because they will get dirty or touching them is a sign of disrespect so they prefer to put them on the highest shelves and take them down only to dust them or hang them up or just put them on a mantle piece and kiss them as often as possible but without reading any of the content and therefore they do not benefit from it.

Qu'ran has been reduced to necklaces with a few verses written on it to protect them from a, b, c, d. same goes for mosques it is all about competition. Who builds the best Mosque and at what cost. These 'leaders' do not care whether the whole country has nothing to eat as long as they and their masters are living large. They think to build all these Mosques is going to blind people into actually thinking they are leaders because they build so many Mosques and are on occasions seen in them with their body guards 'praying.'

Globalpeace

Banned
Hadeeth?

W-Salam,

Been looking but can't find the Hadeeth about fancy Masajid at the end of times.

Does anyone know the full text.

I think it is one of the signs of the end of times. I don't have references with me at the moment, but it goes something like at the end of times there will be beautiful masjids but very little acts of worship in them. People a re more worried about building the best looking and most expensive masjid and keeping it clean rather than the form of worship. Look at the a few years back it was enough for people just to put a roof over ground, supported by poles to pray just incase of rain or too much sunlight and these were the most pious of people. In the time of the prophet Muhammad(s.a.w) Mosques were very simple but some of us can NEVER compare to the people back then in terms of deeds and they were the best of generations.

Alhamdulillah some Mosques still serve their purpose especially in dunya poor countries. Poor in Dunya but rich in Akhira inshallah.

Just like some people will decorate Qu'rans and that they should not be touched because they will get dirty or touching them is a sign of disrespect so they prefer to put them on the highest shelves and take them down only to dust them or hang them up or just put them on a mantle piece and kiss them as often as possible but without reading any of the content and therefore they do not benefit from it.

Qu'ran has been reduced to necklaces with a few verses written on it to protect them from a, b, c, d. same goes for mosques it is all about competition. Who builds the best Mosque and at what cost. These 'leaders' do not care whether the whole country has nothing to eat as long as they and their masters are living large. They think to build all these Mosques is going to blind people into actually thinking they are leaders because they build so many Mosques and are on occasions seen in them with their body guards 'praying.'

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalamu Alykum,

Its quite common nowadays with fancy mosques all over. When the sister posted about it being one of the signs well i dont know about this:

"There will come a time upon the Ummat when people will recite the Qu'ran, but it will not go further than their throats. (into their hearts). (Bukhari)

"There will come a time for my people when... the mosques will be full of people but they will be empty of right guidance". (Ibn Bubuya, Thawab ul-A'mal)

Inshallah thats what you were talking about. I think a room with carpet and somewhere to do Wudhu is sufficient. Allah (S.W.T) knows best. There are so many signs of the Day of Judgement and they are already happening. I wont go into specifics but im sure you know.

EDIT: I re-read that Hadith and i dont think it goes with fancy masjids, it may do in terms of Mosques being large and being quite full, if you get what i mean.

Wasalam

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Would those who have selected that they like Fancy Masajid like to put some comments as to why?

I don't want to debate, just like to understand your point of view, Insha'Allah.

P.S: If you don't want to say it publicly, please PM.

Jazakullah Khairun

Rahima Ali

SO TRUE, FANCY MOSQUES ARE ONE OF THE MAJOR SIGNS OF THE END TIMES. SPOT ON SIS!!!!!!!!!

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

You guys are funny. You can't just say something is a sign of the day of judgement without proof. So I'm NOT saying Fancy Masjids are a sign of the Day.

But I will say I detest them greatly. I've spoken against them before. Seriously, I don't think the brothers need a gigantic chandelier over thier head which may fall and decapitate anyone at any given moment. Thinking hypothetically of course.

I mean look at the Ka'bah. Love the simplicity. It fulfills its purpose, and is lovely otherwise. Why can't that be an example for our mosques ;)

wasalam

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalamu Alykum,

Lol. This is the closest me thinks:

"There will come a time for my people when... the mosques will be full of people but they will be empty of right guidance". (Ibn Bubuya, Thawab ul-A'mal)

Because when you look at Mosques they are huge and fancy. They are quite full. I personally havent read or heard anything specific from fancy Masjids being built and it being one of the signs of day judgement. Although tall buildings built and countries competing also relates as well with fancy Masjids being built because people do compete. Inshallah i made sense, although lets wait for the sister to post back.

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam

P.S: I was just saying about the amount of signs that have happend, or are taking place of the signs of the hour. (It seems to be coming close)

You guys are funny. You can't just say something is a sign of the day of judgement without proof. So I'm NOT saying Fancy Masjids are a sign of the Day.

But I will say I detest them greatly. I've spoken against them before. Seriously, I don't think the brothers need a gigantic chandelier over thier head which may fall and decapitate anyone at any given moment. Thinking hypothetically of course.

I mean look at the Ka'bah. Love the simplicity. It fulfills its purpose, and is lovely otherwise. Why can't that be an example for our mosques ;)

wasalam

umm hussain

Asalamu Alykum,

Lol. This is the closest me thinks:

Because when you look at Mosques they are huge and fancy. They are quite full. I personally havent read or heard anything specific from fancy Masjids being built and it being one of the signs of day judgement. Although tall buildings built and countries competing also relates as well with fancy Masjids being built because people do compete. Inshallah i made sense, although lets wait for the sister to post back.

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam

P.S: I was just saying about the amount of signs that have happend, or are taking place of the signs of the hour. (It seems to be coming close)

Jazakhallahu khair brother

I'm sure that is the hadith and the Sheikh went on to explain about how beautiful the Mosques are and very little acts of worship actually happen in them and a lot of other things. It was a lecture about Major and Minor Sins before the day of judgement Since I listened to it in a lecture i am not too sure about references at the moment, unless I listen to it again soon to say exactly what he said.

And Allah knows best.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

Anas reports that the Messenger of Allah said:

"The Hour will not come to pass until the people vie with each other in (building) the mosques."

This is related by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, anNasa'i, Ibn Majah, and Ibn Hibban who calls it sahih. Ibn Khuzaimah's wording is:

"A time will come when the people will vie with each other in (building) the mosques but very few will attend (the mosques)."

Ibn 'Abbas reports that the Messenger of Allah said:

"I have not been ordered to build high and lofty mosques." Abu Dawud's version adds: "Ibn 'Abbas said: 'You will certainly embellish them as the Jews and Christians embellished [their places of worship]."'

The preceding hadith was related by Abu Dawud and by Ibn Hibban who calls it sahih.

'Umar ordered mosques to be built and would say:

"Protect the people from the rain. Beware of red and yellow decorations for they distract people."

This is related by Ibn Khuzaimah in his sahih and by al-Bukhari in mualaq form.

samiha

---------
Staff member
PS By the way I am THE only female so far to vote against fancy Masjids, Sis Samiha said she doesn't like them but I think she forgot to vote in the actual poll.

Sissss, as far as I recall I did... !!

Jazakallahu Khayran my dearest bro Happy 2B A Muslim... I take it back. BUT is competition in building them the same thing as... as fancy?

wasalam

muhavere

The only thing wrong with fancy masjids is the adjective fancy, it implies a negative meaning. To use the word beautiful, wonderful or some other similar adjective would have been much better. Those who abhore this kind of mosque building must do that to all things in their lives what can be made and ordained in a beautiful, attractive manner. For example, to have a nice room for study, spend free time, sleep or pray has to been by them as too luxirious and a waste of money and time. Let us not forget that Allah is the most beautiful, his messenger was the most beautiful of mankind in all aspects and that Allah loves beauty. If you say a beautiful, very pretty and artistic embellished mosque is a bad thing because is requires a lot of financial investment I reply: the money spent on this kind of good act is well spent, the money is not burried in the ground but it is invested in the hereafter of many people whoms interest in Islam and prayer will likely deepen and widen, to visit a mosque will be a lot more pleasant if you feel very well in it and if it gives pleasure to your eyes. Not only the muslim community, which is having a very hard time in these last days of the world, will be attracted to mosques but also the non-muslims will be inspired of great their fantastic architecture and decoration. Like for example we have in Turkey lots of magical mosques, especially in Istanbul, herited from the Ottoman Turks, build more than 500 years ago, they keep nurishing peoples faith, they remind them constantly of the healthy and mighty days of the Islam, which is nowadays absent. By doing that the muslimidenty is preserved and people are encouraged to follow the footsteps of our brothers who have passed us. In our harts their must be high proud. Not of ourselves, stemming from the individual qualities but from the ummah as a whole, from beloning to the Prophet sallallahu aleyhi ve sellem and to his companions, in short to the Islam. These mosques fuel our pride, our muslimpride.

The last thing I want to say is, the whole humankind is in need of the Islam, the Islam is in need of representation. We as muslims must strive to be good in all things in order to comply to that need. Here in the Netherlands, in the city Rotterdam their was an enquete held. A list was presented to the citizens to vote on the most beautiful building standing in this city. Between the buildings their was the Mevlana mosque, which is also a very outstanding beautiful mosque, guess which building was most voted: the Mevlana mosque. This was ofcourse publicized by the press and I am sure it has been a gain, improvement for the muslims.

umm hussain

Sissss, as far as I recall I did... !!

Jazakallahu Khayran my dearest bro Happy 2B A Muslim... I take it back. BUT is competition in building them the same thing as... as fancy?

wasalam

Walaikum salam warahmatullah

Sorry sis i take it back, I miss read the poll.

Jazakhallahu khair brother Happy 2B A Muslim. It was definitely along those lines.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalamu Alykum,

Brother muhavere my response to that is a beautiful Mosque shouldnt attract us to worship Allah (S.W.T). The Quran should, a small thought came to me right now, when you see a beautiful Mosque its bright and stands out but when you open the Quran i have the thought a huge bright light emerges from it:

"Had We sent down this Qur'an on a mountain, verily, thou would have seen it humble itself and cleave asunder for fear of Allah, such are the similitudes which We propound to men, that they may reflect". (Surah Al-Hashr, Verse 20)

The verse above comes to mind for some reason, sorry if it has no relation to this. But a mosque should not make us reflect, reading or listening to the verse above should make us reflect. Inshallah i have made sense and havent just rambled on. Its a good act to fund the "Build the Mosque fund", although that money could used elsewhere more effectively, like helping those in need. Although just to say i am not biased a beautiful Masjid will attract the Ummah although to counter that the Quran should be attracting us. Allah (S.W.T) knows best.

Beautiful Mosques built back then were like the main Mosque. Like for example a town in Turkey all prayed at one Mosque. But nowadays its like you have 5 different Mosques in one town and when another person decides they will build one, they will try and make it better. Really each town should have one big Mosque in each town where it is easily accessible and nothing fancy.

Im sorry if i have gone off topic or did not make sense.

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam

Asalamu Alykum,

Brother muhavere my response to that is a beautiful Mosque shouldnt attract us to worship Allah (S.W.T).

Asalaamalikum,

It does not necessarily have to attract us, it can attract non-Muslims and make them curious to come and see what is inside as well. Only Allah bestows His favors and guides different people in different ways. By the way, maybe these bigger and fancier masjids might offer more services, like Quran, Arabic classes, sisters or brothers clubs, day care services, fitness classes for brothers/sisters, etc. Does that make it bad?

If you have the money, budget, community, and support then I don't see why not.

Globalpeace

Banned
Basilica of St. John Lateran (Vatican)

Asslamo Allaikum,

Its beautiful & Grand but devoid of siprituality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_St._John_Lateran

Bergen Oslo has a Mosque in a two-bedroom flat but full of spirituality.

Richmond, Virginia has a Mosque in a broken house in a poor African-American Muslim community; no glass in the windows so they are covered with thick plastic (nailed to the window frames) to stop the wind from coming in during winter; but it is full of spirituality.

I am NOT a Sufi but got to Vatican & then go to a poor broken down Masjid & the difference is night & day.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
I am NOT a Sufi but got to Vatican & then go to a poor broken down Masjid & the difference is night & day.

:SMILY303: well...anyone would think...:SMILY231:

...i thought only catholics can go to the vatican...brother Globalpeace...whts going on..?!! LOL

jakir-bd

Salam,

Good to see most people not supporting to make fancy Masjids. People should spend more money in Madrassa and orphanage-care center rather than Masjids.

elmorro

:salam2
Yes I agree with having nothing wrong with building a beautiful Masjid. however, it seems to me there is a bit of confusion in this topic. The big question is: what are the priorities in Islam while spending money? Knowing that the Ummah is not in good shape at all. A nice expensive building for worship or spreading knowledge and teachings?

Steve940

Asalamu alaikum,

I voted that there should be fancy mosques, but the poll options didn't leave very much room for negotiating. I think that there is room for fancy masjids, but not that every single masjid should be fancy, or that a masjid should be fancy when there is a better use for the money. If there is a more practical, immediate use for the money, I think it should be used for that, but it seems like the idea here is that putting money into making a masjid beautiful is wasting it. Making a masjid beautiful is far from a waste, and although there may be better uses, I see no harm in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.