Fasting in hot working conditions

lozlg

Muslima for 1 year!
Assalam Alaikam, A relative of mine works 5 days a week doing hard physically demanding work. He has to pull 700-800kilo palletts around a warehouse. The warehouse is very very hot and he is constantly sweating. He is undecided whether to fast today or not as he thinks he will get so de-hydrated. What shall I advise him? Can he pay zakat instead if he can't fast? Jazakallah and Ramadan Kareem brothers and sisters.

Killi_Feyzo

working is no excuse for not fasting
he has to fast
why he do not take holiday?
nobody forced him to do this job
but he has to fast

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi sister,

Please read the two fatwas below carefully..

Some scholars have issued fatwas saying that it is permissible for these people not to fast. I sent the fatwa to Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Muhammad ibn Humayd and Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on them) for their comments on it and they said:

The basic principle is that it is obligatory to fast Ramadaan, and to form the intention to fast from the night before, for all adult Muslims, who should start the day fasting, except for those to whom the Lawgiver has granted a concession, who are allowed not to fast – namely the sick, travellers and those who come under those headings. Those who do hard work come under the heading of those who are obliged to fast and they are not like the sick or travellers. They have to form the intention to observe the Ramadaan fast from the night before, and to start the day fasting. If one of them is forced to break the fast during the day, then it is permissible for him to break the fast with enough to ward off any harm, then he must refrain from eating and drinking for the rest of the day, and he has to make up that fast at the proper time. If there is no such necessity then it is obligatory to complete the fast. This is what is indicated by the shar’i evidence from the Qur’aan and Sunnah, and it is what is indicated by the words of the scholars of all madhhabs.

Those in positions of authority among the Muslims among whom are people who do hard work should examine their case when Ramadaan comes, and if possible, they should not burden them with too much work that may force them to break the fast during the day in Ramadaan, rather they should have the work done at night, or distribute work hours in a fair and just manner so that people may both work and fast.

As for the fatwa referred to, this has to do with an individual case where they issued a fatwa based on their ijtihaad for which they are to be appreciated, but they did not mention the conditions that we have mentioned or the view of the scholars of all madhhabs. We ask Allaah to help us all to do that which is good. End quote.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Muhammad ibn Humayd (may Allaah have mercy on him).

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him).

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn Baaz, 14/245

And Allaah knows best.

Link : http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/11539/

Praise be to Allaah.

Fasting is one of the pillars of Islam which is established by the Qur’aan and Sunnah and by the consensus of the ummah. It is not permissible for the Muslim to break the fast without a legitimate shar’i excuse such as sickness or travel. A person may experience great hardship during the fast but he has to be patient and seek the help of Allaah. If a person becomes thirsty during the day in Ramadaan, there is nothing wrong with him pouring water over his head to cool himself down, or rinsing his mouth out with water. If his thirst will cause him a great deal of harm or there is the fear that he may die of thirst, then it is permissible for him to break the fast, but he has to make it up later on.

But if his work is the cause of the difficulty that he is experiencing, this is not an acceptable reason for breaking the fast, if he can take a leave of absence during Ramadaan, or he can reduce his workload during this month, or he can change his work to something that is easier.

The scholars of the Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas said:

It is well known in Islam, and no Muslim has any excuse for not knowing, that fasting the month of Ramadaan is obligatory for every adult Muslim, and it is one of the pillars of Islam. Every adult Muslim must strive to fast this month, in obedience to the command of Allaah, in the hope of His reward and for fear of His punishment, without neglecting his worldly affairs and without letting his worldly interests affect his interests in the Hereafter. If there is a conflict between the acts of worship that have been enjoined by Allaah and his work to earn a living in this world, then he must work it out so that he will be able to take care of both. In the example mentioned in the question, he can make the night his time for doing his work to earn his living, and if that is not possible then he should take a leave of absence from his work during the month of Ramadaan, even if that is without pay. If that is not possible, then he should look for another job where he can combine the two duties and his worldly duties will not affect his duties towards the Hereafter. There are many kinds of work and the ways of earning money are not limited to this kind of difficult work. The Muslim will never be without permissible ways of earning a living which will also allow him to fulfil the duties and acts of worship that Allaah has enjoined upon him, in sha Allaah.

“And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty).

3. And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allaah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allaah will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allaah has set a measure for all things”

[al-Talaaq 65:2-3]

If we assume that he cannot find any work other than that which has been mentioned, which is causing such hardship and the fear that the work regulations may be so strict that he cannot practise his religion fully or perform some of its duties, then he should flee for the sake of his religion from that land to a land where he will be able to fulfil his religious and worldly duties, and co-operate with other Muslims in righteousness and piety. The earth of Allaah is spacious. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“He who emigrates (from his home) in the Cause of Allaah, will find on earth many dwelling places and plenty to live by”

[al-Nisa’ 4:100]

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘O My slaves who believe (in the Oneness of Allaah Islamic Monotheism), be afraid of your Lord (Allaah) and keep your duty to Him. Good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world, and Allaah’s earth is spacious (so if you cannot worship Allaah at a place, then go to another)! Only those who are patient shall receive their reward in full, without reckoning’”

[al-Zumar 39:10]

If none of these options are possible and he is forced to do the kind of hard work that is mentioned in the question, then he should fast until he starts feeling that he is no longer coping, then he should take just enough food and drink to keep him going , then he should refrain from eating and drinking, and he has to make it up during the days when it is easy for him to fast. End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wa’l-Ifta, 10/234-236.

They were also asked about a man who works in a bakery and he gets very thirsty and sweats at work. Is it permissible for him to break the fast?

They replied:

It is not permissible for him to break the fast; rather he must fast. The fact that he is baking during the day in Ramadaan is not an excuse for him to break the fast. He has to work according to what he is able to do. End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wa’l-Ifta, 10/238.

And Allaah knows best.

Link : http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/65803/

safiya58

:salam2:

oh I´m so sorry for those brothers/sisters who have to work in such conditions... :( May Allah give them patience and forgive them if they can not fast :( sorry I´m not very helpfull... Hope someone will reply who has knowledge... however Allah is Gafhur and Rahman.... I know it is wrritte in Surah Al Baqara aya 184 +185:

[2:184] Specific days (are designated for fasting); if one is ill or traveling, an equal number of other days may be substituted. Those who can fast, but with great difficulty, may substitute feeding one poor person for each day of breaking the fast. If one volunteers (more righteous works), it is better. But fasting is the best for you, if you only knew.

[2:185] Ramadan is the month during which the Quran was revealed, providing guidance for the people, clear teachings, and the statute book. Those of you who witness this month shall fast therein. Those who are ill or traveling may substitute the same number of other days. GOD wishes for you convenience, not hardship, that you may fulfill your obligations, and to glorify GOD for guiding you, and to express your appreciation.

but again I can not answer your question because I´m not qualified... hope someone is ble to do so... Ramadan kareem to you sister :hearts:

:wasalam:

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

In brief, both the fatawa say that it is prohibited to not fast at all. Even in worst case scenario, your relative has to fast until it is too burdensome for him. Leaving fast deliberately in Ramadan is one of the major sins in Islam.

Also, this is also a 'last option'. As you would read above, it says that the person should :-

1) Start working evenings.
2) Try to get his boss to reduce the amount of physical work.
3) If nothing works out, leave the job and find one that allows him to fast.
4) Go to a country where he can practice his religion properly.

In any case, he is only allowed to break his fast if it becomes too much for him and he feels that if he doesn't sip water he might faint or die. That ruling is applicable to all of us by the way.

If we break these fasts due to such extreme conditions (fainting etc), then we have to make them up after Ramadan is over.

I was watching Huda Tv last evening. A shaykh mentioned from a hadeeth that a person who leaves fasting deliberately in month of Ramadan, He/She can't compensate for one missed fast even if he/she fasted from the time of Adam Alleihi Salaam to the Day of Judgment (end of time). I hope I am mentioning it correctly. I pray that Allah subhaanaho waa taala doesn't take me into account for any mistake the above narration.

Edit :- Found it Alhamdulillah. Please see from minute 5:50 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EdNVKgTlag

I mentioned the above to explain to you the gravity of leaving fasting altogether, be it any reason which could be 'being a student', 'working long hours at an office'. 'working as a laborer' etc etc. This is prohibited and we should remember that we have to account for these deliberately missed fasts in the Hereafter.

May Allah azz zawajal safeguard us from such ignorant actions and make these fasts easy upon us. Ameen

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Just to highlight the seriousness of the matter of leaving fasts in Ramadan. I found something of benefit on Islam QA.

Whoever does not fast has abandoned one of the pillars of Islam and has committed a grave major sin. In fact, some of the salaf were of the view that such a one is a kaafir and an apostate – Allaah forbid.

Al-Dhahabi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Kabaa'ir (p. 64):

The believers are unanimously agreed that whoever forsakes the Ramadaan fast when he is not sick and has no other excuse for that is worse than an adulterer or one who is addicted to alcohol. They doubt whether he is a Muslim and they think of him as a heretic and deviant. End quote.

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about the ruling on breaking the fast during the day in Ramadaan for no legitimate reason.

He replied:

Breaking the fast during the day in Ramadaan for no legitimate reason is one of the worst of major sins, because of which a person may be regarded as a faasiq (disobedient, rebellious) who has to repent to Allaah and make up the day when he broke the fast. I.e., if he fasted then during the day he broke his fast with no excuse, he has committed a sin, and he has to make up that day because when he started that fast, it became binding on him to complete it, so he has to make it up, like a vow. But if he did not fast at all, deliberately and with no excuse, then the correct view is that he does not have to make it up, because that will not benefit him at all, as it will never be accepted from him. The basic principle with regard to acts of worship that are connected to specific times is that if a person delays them beyond that specific time with no excuse, they will not be accepted from him, because the Prophet said: "Whoever does a deed that is not in accordance with this matter of ours, will have it rejected." And because it is a transgression of the sacred limits of Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, and transgressing the sacred limits of Allaah is zulm (wrongdoing), and no deeds are accepted from the zaalim (wrongdoer). Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whoever transgresses the limits ordained by Allaah, then such are the Zaalimoon (wrongdoers)”

[al-Baqarah 2:229]

If he does this act of worship early – i.e., before the time for it begins – it will not be accepted from him, and similarly if he does it after that, it will not be accepted from him, unless he has an excuse. End quote.

Majmoo' Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen, 19; question no. 45.

Link : http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/60296/