Fasting in'Aashooraa'

stranger786

Dream of His Slavery
The virtues of fasting 'Aashooraa'

Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with them both) said: "I never saw the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) so keen to fast any day and give it priority over any other than this day, the day of 'Aashooraa', and this month, meaning Ramadaan." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 1867).

The meaning of his being keen was that he intended to fast on that day in the hope of earning the reward for doing so.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "For fasting the day of 'Aashooraa'(10th Muharram), I hope that Allaah will accept it as expiation for the year that went before." (Reported by Muslim, 1976). This is from the bounty of Allaah towards us: for fasting one day He gives us expiation for the sins of a whole year. And Allaah is the Owner of Great Bounty.

It is mustahabb (encouraged) to fast Taasoo'aa' with 'Aashooraa'

'Abd-Allaah ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with them both) said: "When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) fasted on 'Aashooraa'(10th Muharram) and commanded the Muslims to fast as well, they said, 'O Messenger of Allaah, it is a day that is venerated by the Jews and Christians.' The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, 'If I live to see the next year, in sha Allaah, we will fast on the ninth day(9th Muharram) too.' But it so happened that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) passed away before the next year came." (Reported by Muslim, 1916).