Feast on the occassion of nikah?

MusLiMah_Kubra

Hasbi-Allah
:salam2: wa rahmatul lahi wa barkatuhu

As far as I know, there is no evidence (from the Hadiths) for the bride's side to give a feast on the day/night of Nikah. Its more of a cultural practice in the Indian subcontinent.
According to Sunnah, only Walimah feast is recognised which should be given by the groom's side.

However my parents have different opinions about it. While my father is of the opinion that since it has no basis in Sunnah it should be left out, my mother says it is permissible as long as we can afford it & it doesnt come under sinning. She is apprehensive too but i think it has more to do with what our relatives are gonna think about us not having one, as every wedding in our family had a feast on the day of Nikah. But my father wants to strictly stick to the Sunnah and not follow the cultural traditions as all our relatives do. He wants the wedding to be simple with only the feast of Walimah.
Its getting difficult to decide on one.

My question is, is it fine providing a feast on the day/night of nikah (more like celebrating, with huge gathering and all) from the bride's side if they can afford it and there is no burden on them?? Will it be counted as sin? Is it permissible???

Awaiting ur replies.
Jazakallahu khairan

:wasalam:

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
Wa'alykum as salam,

Since we share the same place, I too often visit the Nikah's where Feast/Reception after Nikah is common. And I've seen many people leaving the function hall just after congratulating the Groom/Bride and without having any food b'cos they consider it as a sin and many don't . Even I'm in dilemma. Insha-Allah will refer this to our Imaan in Local Mosque and will get back to you ...And I think most of the people are not aware of any such kind of practice as you know this is only practiced in Hyderabad and not even in any other parts of our country thats why they aren't able to reply to this.

Ma'as salamah

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
Wa'alykum as salam,

Since we share the same place, I too often visit the Nikah's where Feast/Reception after Nikah is common. And I've seen many people leaving the function hall just after congratulating the Groom/Bride and without having any food b'cos they consider it as a sin and many don't . Even I'm in dilemma. Insha-Allah will refer this to our Imaan in Local Mosque and will get back to you ...And I think most of the people are not aware of any such kind of practice as you know this is only practiced in Hyderabad and not even in any other parts of our country thats why they aren't able to reply to this.

Ma'as salamah

Feast by bride's parents is being practised in the part of india im living too. i.e by those who claim to follow Sunnah of prophet.. but in fact they are far from sunnah.

MusLiMah_Kubra

Hasbi-Allah
:salam2:

Thank u brothers mahussain3 & ilyas_eh for replying, though i dint get what i was exactly lookin for, i hope someone can let me know if its permissible or not soon, inshaallah.

btw Congratulation ;-) and I hope I'm invited :D :D :D

well, brother there's no wedding ahead, but inshaallah soon.. as my parents are seeking a match for my elder sis. Nothing's finalised yet & they are having a dispute over it.

sachin4islam

Assalam Alaikum:

I remember former Imam of our Masjid once narrated a Hadith whose reference point I am not aware. But The Imam said '' Once a Sahabi came to visit Muhammad (SAW). A marvelous fragrance was surrounding the Sahaba. Prophet (SAW) asked the Sahaba what makes him to using such a nice scent today. The Sahaba replied to Prophet (SAW) that He has been married.

Now just think had it been a Islamic culture to arrange Waalima (feast) from the brides side,wouldn't the Sahaba invite Prophet (SAW) for the feast.

Allah knows better. I heard this Hadith after Isha prayer. It is usual practice at our Masjid to describe a Hadith daily after Isha prayer except on day of Jummah.

Regards.

sachin4islam

Assalam Alaikum:

I posted a couple of days back a title '' Strange Islam". I really find practices at least in my city by local Muslims,which are absolutely innovations.

You will find daily,weekly even monthly practices here in form of festivals among local Muslims.

Islam in North India spread with essence of Sufism. At the same time these reverts to Islam retained many practices of Hinduism,their parental religion.

Regards.

islaminside17

love for ALLAH
asslam-o-alaikum brother congratulation :)best whishes for ur new life plz do ur wedding according to sunnah insahallah ALLAH swt will help in every filed of life ameen :tti_sister:Oops i have never read ur last post so sorry jazakallah khair brother

abu'muhammad

Wa alaykum salaam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu,

Your father is right. The feast from the bride side has no basis. The people can leave being driven by cultural influences.Your mother is thinking as what cultural influence directs to as - what the relatives will tell or what the side of bridegroom will think or talk for such an arrangement. And not to mention sometimes the either side/s sell off some property, house and gold to make all such marriage arrangements; as quite sad and thought begging, contrary to what prophet of Allaah mentioned the way and the type of nikaah .

Such situations can be solved easily and there is nothing to worry and even that leads to good as Alhamdulillah not being driven by alien ideologies. For that Both the sides can sit together and can try to skip off all those cultural influences. Some suggestion are like -The invitation cover of nikaah from the bride side can be given as without any inclusion of feast. that formally means the relatives,the guests etc are called to attend the nikaah and their duas are requested. Or a venue can be chosen such as where people can attend the attend and depart conveniently.

In any of such situations the invitees do not owe anybody any answer or having done anything wrong from the legitimate levels.

Ps - those ceremonial influences have come from some other religion and their sectarian ways, where there are epic marriages. Where the dowry is fixed. The gifts are asked, as well as some other things. It looks as if there is some marriage-business deal. The cost in some of those marriages can be as equal to a life time earning for some individuals. Sadly and sorry to say, but As we know these things also prevail among some muslims in region.

And Allaah knows best.

abu'muhammad

The following are the sunnah of wedding feast taken from the other thread by brother Abu Sarah. I hope that is useful.

[FONT=&quot]The Sunnah of the Wedding Feast[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

The following should be observed with regard to the wedding banquet:

First: It should be held ('aqb - Fathul Baaree: 9/242-244) three days after the first wedding night, since this is the tradition of the Prophet [/FONT][FONT=&quot](salAllaahu alayhi wasallam )[/FONT][FONT=&quot]which has reached us. On the authority of Anas who said: "The Prophet entered upon his wife and sent me to invite some men for food."
[al-Bukhaaree and al-Baihaqi].

Also on the authority of Anas, he said: "The Prophet[/FONT][FONT=&quot](salAllaahu alayhi wasallam )[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] married Safiya, and her freedom was her dowry. He gave the feast for three days."
[Abu Ya'laa and others: Hasan].

Second: One should invite the righteous to his banquet whether they be rich or poor.

The Prophet[/FONT][FONT=&quot](salAllaahu alayhi wasallam )[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] said: "Do not be the friend of any except believers, and have only the pious eat your food."
[Abu Dawood, at-Tirmidhee and others: Saheeh].

Third: If one is able, he should have a feast of one or more sheep.

Based on the following hadith, Anas said: "Abdur-Rahmaan came to al-Madeenah, and the Prophet[/FONT][FONT=&quot](salAllaahu alayhi wasallam )[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] assigned Sa'ad ibn Ar-Rabee' al-Ansaariy as his brother. Sa'ad took him to his house, called for food, and they both ate. The Sa'ad said: "O my brother, I am the wealthiest of the people of al-Madeenah (in another version: "... of the Ansaar"), so look to half of my property and take it (in another version: "... and I will divide my garden in half"). Also, I have two wives (and you, my brother in Allaah, have no wife), so look to which of mine pleases you more, so I can divorce her for you. Then upon the completion of the prescribed waiting period, you may marry her." 'Abdur-Rahmaan said: "No, by Allaah, may Allah bless you in your family and your property. Show me the way to the market-place."And so they showed him the way to the market-place and he went there. He bought and he sold and he made a profit. In the evening , he came back to the people of his house with some dried milk for cooking and some ghee. After that some time elapsed, until he appeared one day with traces of saffron on his garments. The Prophet said to him: "What is this?" He said: "O Messenger of Allaah, I have married a woman among the Ansaar." The Prophet answered: "What did you give her for her dowry?" He answered: "The weight of five dirhams in gold." Then, the Prophet said: "May Allaah bless you, give a feast if only with one sheep." 'Abdur-Rahmaan said: "I have seen myself in such a state that if I were to lift a stone, I would expect to find some gold or silver under it." Anas said: "I saw after his death that each of his wives inherited one hundred thousand Dinars."
[Al-Bukhaaree, an-Nasaa'ee and others].

Also on the authority of Anas he said: "I never saw the Prophet[/FONT][FONT=&quot](salAllaahu alayhi wasallam )[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] sponsor such a wedding feast as the one he gave for Zainab. He slaughtered a sheep and fed everyone meat and bread until they ate no more."
[Al-Bukhaaree, Muslim and others].

.................................................. ..............................

Wedding Feasts can be give with Other than Meat

It is allowed to give the wedding banquet with any food which is available and affordable, even if that does not include meat.

This is based on the following hadith narrated by Anas: "The Prophet[/FONT][FONT=&quot](salAllaahu alayhi wasallam )[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] stayed between Khaibar and al-Madeenah for three days during which he had entered with his wife Safiya . Then I invited the Muslims to his Wedding feast. There was neither meat nor bread at his feast. Rather, leather eating mats were brought out and [/FONT] and on them were placed dates, dried milk, and clarified butter. The people ate their fill."
[Al-Bukhaaree, Muslim and others].

.................................................. ..............................

Participation of the Wealthy in the Feast with their Wealth

It is commendable for the wealthy to help in the preparations for the wedding feast based on the hadith narrated by Anas about the Prophet's marriage to Safiya: "Then, when we were on the road, Umm Sulaim prepared her (Safiya) for him (the Prophet salAllahu alayhi wasallam)and brought her to him at night, and so the the Prophet awoke the next morning a new bridgegroom. Then he said: "Whoever has something, let him bring it." (In another version, he said "Whoever has an excess of provisions, let him bring it.") Anas continues: "And so the leather eating mats were spread out and one man would bring dried milk, another dates and another clarified butter and so they made Hais (hais is a mixture of the above three things). The people then ate of this hais and drank from pools of rainwater which were nearby, and that was the wedding feast of the Prophet."
[Al-Bukhaaree, Muslims and others].

MusLiMah_Kubra

Hasbi-Allah

Jazakallahu khairan wa kaseeran all for replying.

thank u brother abu'muhammad for the suggestions, i will make my mom read this post inshaallah, hope she drops the idea of such a feast.

Baarakallahu feekum

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)

Thank u brothers mahussain3 & ilyas_eh for replying, though i dint get what i was exactly lookin for, i hope someone can let me know if its permissible or not soon, inshaallah.

well, brother there's no wedding ahead, but inshaallah soon.. as my parents are seeking a match for my elder sis. Nothing's finalised yet & they are having a dispute over it.

May Allah(SWT) makes things easy for you and grant your sister the best of best, Aameen. Btw we are also looking a Groom for a one of my Cousin who lives in Old City. Please do pray for her.

MusLiMah_Kubra

Hasbi-Allah
May Allah(SWT) makes things easy for you and grant your sister the best of best, Aameen. Btw we are also looking a Groom for a one of my Cousin who lives in Old City. Please do pray for her.

Summa Ameen

Inshaallah wil include her in my duas, Allah bless us all with the best in this world & hereafter Ameen

ayesha.ansari

All the Muslim do feast , and invite their Muslims brothers and enjoy the moments, but we must be clear that we should have to go with the Islamic way, and follow Islam,

abu'muhammad

BarakAllaahu feeki ukhti Muslimah_kubra. May Allaah ta’ala bless the proposed Nikaah of your elder sister and increase barakah in it,aameen. And May Allaah guide us all towards the benefecial knowledge.

Wa alaykum salaam.