Finding common ground?

Seraphim

One of the reasons I searched out TTI was because I wanted the input of Muslims on some things.

There is a small convenience store here in my community that is owned and operated by an Arabic Muslim family. I stop in from time to time and enjoy the short chats I've had with the guy who usually works the counter but I've kept it mostly to small talk.

I can't help but wonder what it must be like for him to live in what must seem like a pretty hostile environment. Here in the "Bible Belt" he is surrounded by a lot of people who probably look at him as a terrorist even as they buy things from his store. This may be exaggerated but I know how a lot of people here think and they are pretty reactive and believe what their pastors tell them to believe.

I would like to befriend him and let him know that there are people here who don't think of him that way but rather have great respect for him and his faith. I'd like to learn to speak Arabic as well as learning some Arabic recipes for Church and think it would be cool to be able to walk into the store and converse with him in his own language.

What are some things I could do that would make him feel more welcome in the community? Thank you.

Forgive me.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Assalaamu Alaykum
Here's a site where you can learn Modern-day Arabic: http://madinaharabic.com

I would suggest that you make him feel at home. Speak to him in his own language, try praying with him if you can, talk about the Qur'an, ask some questions about Islamic things (such as "how many surahs have you memorized?").

arabiantxn

1st I must commend you and the majority of Americans who are simply wonderful people. It’s very great of you to take this inniciatetive to make some one feel comfortable. I am personally a Muslim who lives in the Bible belt part of your country. To make things better I have beard and to make things worst I am a Big gunny and frequent to gun ranges and gun shows I would say that at first I feel and look out of place but them I am quite well accommodated by people. One thing I have learned is that most of you folks are not bad. When September 11 th happened one of my neighbor who is a sheriff asked me if he could do some thing for me and offered to park a squad car in front of my (my parents) house. Also at our masjid we had the local police lend us two police officers for about a month.
As I said that we all learn and teach each other things and you taught us something.
i must say true islam is not what you watch on tv.

arabiantxn

Oh one other thing I must say is I have earned the respect of the people who I live with by simply by simply being a Muslim

Seraphim

lol I know what you mean. I have a big beard and when I tell people I'm Orthodox, they think I'm Jewish.

I used to be really into guns. Then I got married and got into computers and can't afford 2 expensive hobbies. I wanted to get a WWII collection with the main battle rifle, SMG and sidearm of each country involved. At one time in the early 90s, I had the opportunity to buy 6 M1 Garands for $300 each but I passed. If I'd known what they would be worth today, I would have jumped on them. But I digress. A lot. lol I do that when I start talking about guns or computers.

Forgive me.

arabiantxn

Usually collect all type of pistols, short guns, rifles, target rifles, sporterrifles and are currently I am working on saving for a .50 cal (those things cost as much as a car ) so I don’t know when I get my self one of those btw my friend has a new m1 Springfield they are wonderful

Seraphim

Oh, I bet. I've always wanted an M1. I had a Springfield 1911 .45 and it was one of the most reliable and accurate pistols I've ever owned. It was mil-spec and I've never owned any match pistols, mind you but it was still a really sweet weapon.