Five alternative therapies for migraines

abdul-aziz

:salam2:

The signs are not always clear, but you know it when you have one. Pain and throbbing on one side of the head that sometimes occur behind the eyes and can often last for days -- it is the dreaded migraine headache.
The root cause of the migraine is a bit of a mystery, however disruptions in the serotonin neurotransmitters are suspected. These are vascular events that may be triggered by stress, foods such as orange juice or coffee, chemical additives like MSG, or a deficiency in magnesium. Oftentimes a migraine may be preceded by an aura (a visual or auditory anomaly) and are almost always associated with light or sound sensitivity.
While migraines are relatively easy to diagnose, they can be extremely difficult to treat. Each person experiences a migraine so differently that medical treatments and prescriptions may not always work for everyone and are often inconsistent. Avoiding your particular triggers and staying healthy may thwart a migraine but sometimes that may not be enough.
Frequent episodes can be exhausting, and navigating all of the available treatments can be frustrating. Many migraine sufferers find that keeping an arsenal of alternative therapies on hand can go a long way toward reducing the instances of these episodes.
Five alternative therapies for migraines:

Magnesium
Clinical studies have established a link between magnesium deficiency and migraine headaches. Magnesium is a mineral crucial for hundreds of biochemical processes in the body and it is thought that a majority of the U.S. population is deficient (RDA: 240 mg children; 320 mg for women; 420 mg for men). Almonds, cashews, spinach, soybeans, and chocolate are good sources of magnesium.
Acupuncture
Regular visits to the acupuncturist can greatly reduce migraine episodes, as this ancient healing art is an effective remedy not only for pain but will also balance hormones like serotonin.
Chiropractic
A full chiropractic analysis may shed some light on what is causing your migraines, particularly if they are related to a structural imbalance in the neck. Chiropractors employ spinal and soft tissue manipulation to relieve built-up pressure.

Therapeutic Herbs
Feverfew, also called bachelor’s button is among the most often prescribed migraine treatment for many herbalists. It is a natural anti-inflammatory and works to reduce surges in serotonin. Feverfew can be taken in pill form at the onset of an episode but is often taken in tea form as a preventive measure.
Massage Therapy
Migraines can often be triggered by stress, and regular massage therapy can be one of the most rewarding ways to prevent them. The bodywork provided by an experienced massage therapist can reduce stress by calming the mind and relaxing the muscles and releasing toxin build up.

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/ecomii_...raines.html;_ylt=AmJciwnxJOb5JQeLXr5Mp1N0fNdF

:wasalam:

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Jazaaka Allaahu khaayr for the thread.

Since these past few years (for about a year or a two), Ive been to clinics - basically at my study place - when I feel the pain. Several times I asked to different doctors whether I have migraine or not. Unfortunately, they couldnt give a convincing answer.

Well, its usually due to hot weather and maybe when its a bit stressful the pain on the right side of my head will come. My remedy is usually - Sleep. During that time, I cant eat or even smell the food because it makes me want to vomit.

But alhamdulillah, I always try to think that any pain felt could be an expiation of sins and a blessing, bi ithnillah.

JenGiove

Therapeutic Herbs
Feverfew, also called bachelor’s button is among the most often prescribed migraine treatment for many herbalists. It is a natural anti-inflammatory and works to reduce surges in serotonin. Feverfew can be taken in pill form at the onset of an episode but is often taken in tea form as a preventive measure.

Precautions:

The use of herbs is a time-honored approach to strengthening the body and treating disease. Herbs, however, contain components that can trigger side effects and that can interact with other herbs, supplements, or medications. For these reasons, herbs should be taken with care, under the supervision of a health care provider qualified in the field of botanical medicine.

Side effects from feverfew can include abdominal pain, indigestion, flatulence, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and nervousness. Mouth ulcers, loss of taste, and swelling of the lips, tongue, and mouth may occur in some individuals who chew raw feverfew leaves. Rarely, allergic reactions to feverfew have also been reported. In fact, people with allergies to chamomile, ragweed, or yarrow will likely be allergic to feverfew and, therefore, should not take it.

Feverfew may increase the tendency to bleed, especially in individuals who have bleeding disorders or take blood-thinning medications, such as aspirin or warfarin. Do not use feverfew if you have bleeding disorders or are taking blood-thinning medications unless you are under the supervision of a doctor. Storage of the prepared extract is also important. At normal temperatures, some constituents in feverfew can degrade from capsules.

Pregnant and nursing women as well as children under 2 years of age should not take feverfew.

Do not abruptly stop taking feverfew if you have used it for more than 1 week. A withdrawal syndrome characterized by rebound headache, anxiety, fatigue, muscle stiffness, and joint pain may occur.

Possible Interactions:

Feverfew may alter the effects of some prescription and nonprescription medications. If you are currently being treated with any of the following medications, you should not use feverfew without first talking to your health care provider.

Blood-thinning medications -- Feverfew may inhibit the activity of platelets (a substance that plays a role in blood clotting), so individuals taking blood-thinning medications (such as aspirin and warfarin) should consult a health care provider before taking this herb.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/feverfew-000243.htm