Follow Emily as She Reads Through the Quran! :-)

Hello Everyone,

If you've read my other threads you know that I am interested in learning more about Islam. Maybe I might become interested in converting. Anyway, to make sure that I keep up with reading the Quran I will be posting my progress in this thread. I will post each part I read and what my thoughts or feelings are about it.

Let us start with Al-Fatihah

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

1. Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the worlds.
2. The Beneficent, the Merciful.
3. Master of the day of Requital.
4. Thee do we serve and Thee do we beseech for help.
5. Guide us on the right path.
6. The path of those upon whom Thou hast bestowed favours.
7. Not those upon whom wrath is brought down, nor those who go astray.

I really liked reading this, it was more like poetry then what I was expecting from a religious text. I hope that Allah does guide me to the right path.

mikepan68

Hello Everyone,

If you've read my other threads you know that I am interested in learning more about Islam. Maybe I might become interested in converting. Anyway, to make sure that I keep up with reading the Quran I will be posting my progress in this thread. I will post each part I read and what my thoughts or feelings are about it.

Let us start with Al-Fatihah

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

1. Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the worlds.
2. The Beneficent, the Merciful.
3. Master of the day of Requital.
4. Thee do we serve and Thee do we beseech for help.
5. Guide us on the right path.
6. The path of those upon whom Thou hast bestowed favours.
7. Not those upon whom wrath is brought down, nor those who go astray.

I really liked reading this, it was more like poetry then what I was expecting from a religious text. I hope that Allah does guide me to the right path.

mikepan68

[96:1]
READ in the name of thy Sustainer, who has created –

Sallams Sister Emily,
I would be interested in your thoughts as You discover Islam.
Mashallah

mikepan68

Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.

C21. On realizing in our souls God's love and care, His grace and mercy, and His power and justice (as Ruler of the Day of Judgment), the immediate result is that we bend in the act of worship, and see both our shortcomings and His all-sufficient power.

The emphatic form means that not only do we reach the position of worshipping Allah and asking for His help, but we worship Him alone and ask for His aid only. For there is none other than He worthy of our devotion and able to help us.

The plural "we" indicates that we associate ourselves with all who seek Allah, thus strengthening ourselves and strengthening them in a fellowship of faith.

Show us the straight way.

C22. If we translate by the English word "guide," we shall have to say:

"Guide us to and in the straight Way."

For we many be wandering aimlessly, and the first step is to find the Way; and the second need is to keep in the Way: our own wisdom may fail in either case.

The straight Way is often the narrow Way, or the steep Way, which many people shun (90:11).

By the world's perversity the straight Way is sometimes stigmatized and the crooked Way praised.

How are we to judge?

We must ask for God's guidance. With a little spiritual insight we shall see which are the people who walk in the light of Allah's grace, and which are those that walk in the darkness of Wrath. This also would help our judgment.

(Yusuf Ali Tafsir)

muhammad sabri

Peace,
another little insight on the surah :) --->

Al-Fatihah and Salah

Al-Fatihah is also called Salah, because it is itself a prayer and reciting it is a

condition for the correctness of Salah-The Prayer, as recorded by Muslim that

Abu Hurayrah (May Allah be pleased with him) said, that the Prophet (Peace be

upon him) said;

“Whoever performs any prayer in which he did not read Umm Al-Qur’an (Al-

Fatihah), then his prayer is incomplete.” He said it thrice. [1]

There is another hadith, narrated by Abu Hurayrah (May Allah be pleased with

him) that the Prophet (Peace be upon him) said; “Allah the exalted said, ‘I have

divided the prayer (Al-Fatihah) into two halves between Me and My servant. A

half of it is for Me and a half for My servant, and My servant shall acquire what

he asked for.

If he says, ‘All praise and thanks be to Allah, the Lord of existence’, **Allah says,

‘My servant has praised Me.’**

When the servant says, ‘The Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.’

Allah says, ‘My servant has glorified Me.’

When he says, ‘Master of the Day of Judgment.’

When he says, ‘You (alone) we worship, and You (alone) we ask for help.’,

**Allah says, ‘This is between Me and My servant, and My servant shall acquire

what he sought.’**

When he says, ‘Guide us to the straight path. The way of those on whom You

have granted Your grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your anger, nor of

those who went astray’,

**Allah says, ‘This is for My servant, and My servant shall acquire what he asked

for.’ ” Peace- <3

Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.

C21. On realizing in our souls God's love and care, His grace and mercy, and His power and justice (as Ruler of the Day of Judgment), the immediate result is that we bend in the act of worship, and see both our shortcomings and His all-sufficient power.

The emphatic form means that not only do we reach the position of worshipping Allah and asking for His help, but we worship Him alone and ask for His aid only. For there is none other than He worthy of our devotion and able to help us.

The plural "we" indicates that we associate ourselves with all who seek Allah, thus strengthening ourselves and strengthening them in a fellowship of faith.

Show us the straight way.

C22. If we translate by the English word "guide," we shall have to say:

"Guide us to and in the straight Way."

For we many be wandering aimlessly, and the first step is to find the Way; and the second need is to keep in the Way: our own wisdom may fail in either case.

The straight Way is often the narrow Way, or the steep Way, which many people shun (90:11).

By the world's perversity the straight Way is sometimes stigmatized and the crooked Way praised.

How are we to judge?

We must ask for God's guidance. With a little spiritual insight we shall see which are the people who walk in the light of Allah's grace, and which are those that walk in the darkness of Wrath. This also would help our judgment.

(Yusuf Ali Tafsir)

Thank you for sharing that mike! Very, very interesting!

Peace,
another little insight on the surah :) --->

Al-Fatihah and Salah

Al-Fatihah is also called Salah, because it is itself a prayer and reciting it is a

condition for the correctness of Salah-The Prayer, as recorded by Muslim that

Abu Hurayrah (May Allah be pleased with him) said, that the Prophet (Peace be

upon him) said;

“Whoever performs any prayer in which he did not read Umm Al-Qur’an (Al-

Fatihah), then his prayer is incomplete.” He said it thrice. [1]

There is another hadith, narrated by Abu Hurayrah (May Allah be pleased with

him) that the Prophet (Peace be upon him) said; “Allah the exalted said, ‘I have

divided the prayer (Al-Fatihah) into two halves between Me and My servant. A

half of it is for Me and a half for My servant, and My servant shall acquire what

he asked for.

If he says, ‘All praise and thanks be to Allah, the Lord of existence’, **Allah says,

‘My servant has praised Me.’**

When the servant says, ‘The Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.’

When he says, ‘Master of the Day of Judgment.’

When he says, ‘You (alone) we worship, and You (alone) we ask for help.’,

**Allah says, ‘This is between Me and My servant, and My servant shall acquire

what he sought.’**

When he says, ‘Guide us to the straight path. The way of those on whom You

have granted Your grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your anger, nor of

those who went astray’,

**Allah says, ‘This is for My servant, and My servant shall acquire what he asked

for.’ ” Peace- <3

Wow. thank you fo sharing that. :)

Al-Baqarah

2:1 I, Allah am the best Knower.
2:2 This Book, there is no doubt in it, is a guide to those who keep their duty,
2:3 Who believe in the Unseen and keep up prayer and spend out of what We have given them,
2:4 And who believe in that which has been revealed to thee and that which was revealed before thee, and of the hereafter they are sure.
2:5 These are on a right course from their Lord and these it is that are successful.
2:6 Those who disbelieve-it being alike to them whether thou warn them or warn them not-they will not believe.
2:7 Allah has sealed their hearts and their hearing; and these is a covering on their eyes, and for them is a grievous chastisement.

This seemed like a very clearly set of principles. In Allah is letting use know that the Quran is the book that we should us as a guide in life if we believe in what cannot be seen and believe in the previous revelations. That people who do this are on the right course.

I don't quite understand 2:6 and 2:7 though. What exactly are these implying?

mikepan68

Sallam sister Emily,
this is from: "The Message of the Quran" Muhammad Asad, (it's a commentary/tafsir).
There's usually Ayas (verses) of Judgement, then Ayas of MERCY.

* v.6 : In contrast with the frequently occurring term al-kāfirūn (“those who deny the truth”), the use of the past tense in alladhīna kafarū indicates conscious intent, and is, therefore, appropriately rendered as “those who are bent on denying the truth.” This interpretation is supported by many commentators, especially Zamakhsharī (who, in his commentary on this verse, uses the expression, “those who have deliberately resolved upon their kufr”). Elsewhere in the Qur’ān such people are spoken of as having “hearts with which they fail to grasp the truth, and eyes with which they fail to see, and ears with which they fail to hear” (7:179). – For an explanation of the terms kufr (“denial of the truth”), kāfir (“one who denies the truth”), etc., see note 4 on 74:10, where this concept appears for the first time in Qur’anic revelation.

* v.7 : A reference to the natural law instituted by God, whereby a person who persistently adheres to false beliefs and refuses to listen to the voice of truth gradually loses the ability to perceive the truth, “so that finally, as it were, a seal is set upon his heart” (Rāghib). Since it is God who has instituted all laws of nature – which, in their aggregate, are called sunnat Allāh (“the way of God”) – this “sealing” is attributed to Him: but it is obviously a consequence of man’s free choice and not an act of “predestination.” Similarly, the suffering which, in the life to come, is in store for those who during their life in this world have willfully remained deaf and blind to the truth, is a natural consequence of their free choice – just as happiness in the life to come is the natural consequence of man’s endeavour to attain to righteousness and inner illumination. It is in this sense that the Qur’anic references to God’s “reward” and “punishment” must be understood.
---------------------

[2:25]
But unto those who have attained to faith and do good works give the glad tiding that theirs shall be gardens through which running waters flow. Whenever they are granted fruits therefrom as their appointed sustenance, they will say, "It is this that in days of yore was granted to us as our sustenance!"

Last edited:

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Story: Before I came to islam I would listen to Anasheeds (islamic 'music' in arabic, urdu, etc about allah swt, or rasool allah saws) And I heard Al-Fatiah (not knowing it was Qur'an) and it was so beautiful it moved me to tears just hearing it in Arabic :) I told my Islamic friend "Please listen to this Nasheed, its so beautiful!" She laughed and said, "Amanda that is not a nasheed, that is the first chapter in the Qur'an Al Fatiah! :)"

It touched me deeply, in a primal way, as if we were MEANT to hear it, recognize it, even though it is not in our language... :) Masha allah...