Food

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Aslaamu Alaikkum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

I've noticed that people eat far too much food. I guess the only times that I've been guilty of this is when I go to restaurants, one had to finish what they give us. :)

Alhamdulilah I think I have a very small stomach though. I've never been much of an eater. I used to work 12 hour shifts and I would only eat one meal a day and that would suffice. Probably something to do with my slow body metabalism. Alhamdulilah may be this is the reason that I can fast without much difficulty. Allahu Akbar!

I observe friends and people generally eating at restaurants etc and feel they are eating so excessively, I've never understood this love of food.

At the present moment in time Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala is sustaining over 7 billion people on this earth. And most of them are eating for two people. :p

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Wa`alaikum salaam warahmatullaahi wabarakaatuh.

Love for food goes hand in hand with the love for Dunya. Excessive eating should not be affecting Muslims of all people because we've already been instructed on exactly how much we should be eating, but alas, it will continue to affect us so long as we're heedless.

I remember when I was younger and it was hard for me to say Bismillaah, I would forget to say it more often than not. And every time I ate, I never got full. Then I was told that if I don't say Bismillaah, the shaytaan will eat with me and finish all of it. So obviously I was determined to not share my food with him and started saying Bismillaah. (It worked, lol)

But Alhamdulillaah for the hadeeth of the prophet :saw: in which he said food for one is enough for two and food for two is enough for three and so on. We all know this, it's just a matter of applying it. May Allaah `azza wa jalla guide us all.

Hydden

Walaikum assalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

I seriously don't know why these restaurants serve very large amounts of food. I also have a small stomach but yet I have to eat 3 times a day, average. Whenever we have leftover food, we would get them packed up and eat them later.

When we were in Hyderabad, my father once bought food and said it was only for one person. And yet all four of us managed to consumed it! See how these people eat! They don't even chew their food properly, eating like a cow!

I also love food, but that doesn't mean I love it too much like a maniac. And yes, I say in my mind silently to myself, "bismillah wa barakatilla" before eating and then immediately say, "bismillah-e-awwalahu-wa-aakirahu".

And fasting, urgh. Last year, before and after Ramzan, I could actually forget the fact I'm hungry but during this month, I could always feel it. It was annoying.

So yes, that's pretty much all I have to say. May Allah (subhaana wa taala) keep us strong in this month.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
wa alaikum asalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

Seems like I am forever encouraging people to educate themselves about food, about how much of what we need to fuel ourselves, much is just wasted, and how much is going to come back in our later years (may we all live that long) and cause problems then.

This may be a place to include this image, though the artist could have put the speech in many other places:
We-live-in-a-very-FUNNY-world….jpg
May we remember this Ramadan that hunger is an appetite of the nafs that we can learn to control all year round, and having food is a blessing, in shaa Allah

Nureyni Amir

Aslaamu Alaikkum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

I've noticed that people eat far too much food. I guess the only times that I've been guilty of this is when I go to restaurants, one had to finish what they give us. :)

Alhamdulilah I think I have a very small stomach though. I've never been much of an eater. I used to work 12 hour shifts and I would only eat one meal a day and that would suffice. Probably something to do with my slow body metabalism. Alhamdulilah may be this is the reason that I can fast without much difficulty. Allahu Akbar!

I observe friends and people generally eating at restaurants etc and feel they are eating so excessively, I've never understood this love of food.

At the present moment in time Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala is sustaining over 7 billion people on this earth. And most of them are eating for two people. :p

Asalamu Alaikum warahmatullahi wabrakatuh, I think we should not just observe we should inform them of the hadith were the prophet pbuh said;On the authority of Al-Miqdaam ibn Maadiy-Karib who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah saying: "No human ever filled a vessel worse than the stomach. Sufficient for any son of Adam are some morsels to keep his back straight. But if it must be, then one third for his food, one third for his drink and one third for his breath."Ahmad, At-Tirmidhi, An-Nasaa’I, Ibn Majah – Hadith sahih.
The other problem I sometimes ecounter in gathering is people leaving their side and eating from the middle subhannallah, however the sunnah informed us that;`Umar bin Abu Salamah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH), said to me, "Mention Allah's Name (i.e., say Bismillah before starting eating), eat with your right hand, and eat from what is near you.''
The other problem are also eating with the whole hand instead of eating with the tips of our finger or three finger. If somebody can post hadith about that it will be beneficial.

Once somebody said to me at the restaurant I want to eat beautifully, I just looked at them and said " this is the etiquettes of eating in my house, Subhannallah, I should of said this is the Sunnah way of eating.

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Oh the feeling of someone always commenting on my portion size ... *cringe*

Some really good responses here.

I think there are two extremes here, one is indulging, which most of you have talked about, and the other is being a conscious eater, and I have recently developed into the latter, not from the former, but from another extreme. This might raise some alarm, but no, I do not mean to say one should read every label (of course, halal and haraam should be considered), but to be a conscious eater, you do not need to read numbers, weigh things out, count your calories and the likes. By being conscious, you should try to get all your recommended daily intakes covered, and cut-down, or as the campaign here goes, Swap, don't Stop. I mean, we eat anyway, so why not take the extra step to make sure we're eating healthy? Be conscious in the sense that you're getting your protein, your fibre, calcium, fruits and veg and for those of us with staples we can't go without, your carbs too. My decision happened overnight, literally, and haven't looked back since. Cheat days are cool too, but for me the most rewarding is knowing I am making a conscious effort in maintaing my dietary needs ... SubhanAllah, how everything, if we delve into, can transform into an attempt at seeking the pleasure of Allah.

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
Be conscious in the sense that you're getting your protein, your fibre, calcium, fruits and veg and for those of us with staples we can't go without, your carbs too.

Sorry sis I don't subscribe to this because this is a marketing masterpiece cooked up in the West. What I mean is that we don't really need to watch if there are fibre, calcium, proteins etc are contained in food because they naturally are. Nobody around the world does this, they just eat whatever is presented to them and as far as I can tell all foods are nutritious and good for the human body.

Also do we really need these food manufacturers to tell us how much protein, energy etc are contained within the packet they are selling? I think the answer is no.

Btw this is not an attack against you, if you happy reading the labels then more power to you.

Salaam

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
The other problem are also eating with the whole hand instead of eating with the tips of our finger or three finger. If somebody can post hadith about that it will be beneficial.
Lol, sister. Why you bringing our `ayba out here? =P

There's a section dedicated to this topic in Riyaadh-us-saaliheen.

748. Ibn 'Abbas reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "When one of you eats, he should not wipe his fingers until he has licked them or had them licked." [Agreed upon]

749. Ka'b ibn Malik said, "I saw the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, eating with three fingers. When he finished, he licked them." [Muslim]

750. Jabir reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, commanded that both the fingers and the plate should be licked. He said, "You do not know in what part of the food the blessing lies." [Muslim]

753. Anas said, "When he ate, the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, would lick his three fingers, and he said, 'If one of you drops a morsel, he should pick it up and wipe off any dirt on it and then eat it and not leave it for Shaytan.' He commanded us to wipe the plate and said, 'You do not know in what part of the food the blessing lies.'" [Muslim]

One sunnah that needs to be revived in almost every Muslim household is eating with the hands and licking of the fingers. We don't need to waste too much money on spoons and forks, inshaa'Allaah.

Nureyni Amir

Asalamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh, I don't think there is shame on it most if not majority people does it, Because most of us do not know about the hadith subhannallah, May Allah guide us.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Asalamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh, I don't think there is shame on it most if not majority people does it, Because most of us do not know about the hadith subhannallah, May Allah guide us.

I was joking, sis. :) I agree. It is bad akhlaaq. We need to follow the proper etiquette when it comes to eating as well.

Nureyni Amir

Asalamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh, Indeed sister, Jazakhillah kheyran katheraan for the above hadith. Come manaa, Namu is home, Hurry.

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
Sorry sis I don't subscribe to this because this is a marketing masterpiece cooked up in the West. What I mean is that we don't really need to watch if there are fibre, calcium, proteins etc are contained in food because they naturally are. Nobody around the world does this, they just eat whatever is presented to them and as far as I can tell all foods are nutritious and good for the human body.

Also do we really need these food manufacturers to tell us how much protein, energy etc are contained within the packet they are selling? I think the answer is no.

Btw this is not an attack against you, if you happy reading the labels then more power to you.

Salaam

If you reread my post, that's exactly what I am saying, don't read labels - I certainly don't*. But rather, make sure you're getting something of everything in your day. Being conscious does not mean you read into everything, or count your portion sizes, or count the carbs ... that's what I am saying conscious eating is not about. Just as you say, if you are presented with a variety of food, eat it, but you can go the step further to choose appropriately. I guess it goes back to, despite being blessed with all these bounties, coming back from a report on your blood test to find you're low on pretty much everything ... if you can actively change that, you should. Attack, not at all. I was merely presenting the other side indulging.

Wa alaykum salaam.

*The only time I find myself reading a label is to confirm its permissibility according to our standards, and if I am bored, though that rarely happens anymore, because the whole foods switch doesn't allow room for labels as much.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

Ah, the people who eat and eat and you wonder - "where does it all fit?"

I've actually never been big on eating, but I've noticed that if a person eats to their fill, it makes them lazy and cuts down on their energy levels.

Everything in moderation, as we've been told.

Abu Loren

Defender of Islam!
:salam:

Ah, the people who eat and eat and you wonder - "where does it all fit?"

I've actually never been big on eating, but I've noticed that if a person eats to their fill, it makes them lazy and cuts down on their energy levels.

Everything in moderation, as we've been told.

LOL I only wish that it goes to their collective heads and increase their brain size.