Question: For a Muslim man, is "Altair" a good Islamic name?

For a Muslim man, is "Altair" a good Islamic name?

• A: Yes, it's an excellent Islamic name!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B: Yes, it's a fine Islamic name

• C: It's tolerable, not so good but not so bad either

• D: No, it's not very appropriate

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • F: No, it's completely unacceptable, inadmissible, improper, awful

• Total voters

Koopa39

Assalamu Alaykum,

For a Muslim man, is "Altair" a good Islamic name?

I believe it has two possible pronunciations: AL-tare or AL-tie-ear.

I've searched on different websites, and they each give different meanings for the name "Altair". Here are the meanings:
- The flyer
- The flying one
- The flying eagle
- Eagle
- Falcon
- Bird
I'm not sure which one is the correct meaning, or if this name really has all these possible meanings.

Altair is also the name of the brightest star in the constellation Aquila and the twelfth brightest star in the night sky.

And apparently "Altair" is also the name of a character in the video game series "Assassin's Creed": his full name is "Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad", he is a good guy, he is an Arab, but it's not clear if he's a Muslim or an atheist/agnostic.

So I've been thinking that...
* Maybe the fact that it refers to an animal (an eagle, a falcon, or a bird) makes it a bad Islamic name?
* Maybe the fact that it refers to a star makes it a bad Islamic name?
* Maybe the fact that it refers to a video game character who is possibly an atheist/agnostic makes it a bad Islamic name?
Do any of these three things make "Altair" a bad Islamic name?

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam

Names fall into three categories, ones that are based on Islamic tradition, i.e. they are from the Qur'an or are names of the Prophet's and Companions of the Prophet Muhammad :saw: . Names that have no religious significance but are used by Muslims, such as Rami, Hannan, etc. Finally, names which have bad meanings, such as pagan names.

Al-Ta'ir would be a strange name, the words are Arabic, but not used as a name by Arabs. With Al meaning "the" , this is a title rather than a name. Ta'ir means bird. So i'm not sure why anyone would call a child "the bird".