Question: Forgiveness means no punishment???

MusLiMah_Kubra

Hasbi-Allah
Assalam alaikum wa rahmatul lahi wa barakatuhu

Allah swt says in the Qur'an,“Say: O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” [Sûrah al-Zumar: 53]

So does that mean He will forgive all the sins and there will be no punishment of the sin committed & everything will be solved without any unfavourable consequences? Or will He swt forgive and make the outcome of the sin less difficult to bear or will forgive and give strength to bear the fearful outcome of the sin committed? Here I am talking about sins which after being committed have an after-effect. Sorry if this is a stupid Q.

abjad

AlHamd Li'Laah
Assalam alaikum wa rahmatul lahi wa barakatuhu

Allah swt says in the Qur'an
(39:53) Tell them, (O Prophet): “My servants *70 who have committed excesses against themselves, do not despair of Allah’s Mercy. Surely Allah forgives all sins. He is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful. *71

The address here is to all mankind. There is no weighty argument to regard only the believers as the addressees. As has been observed by 'Allama Ibn Kathir, to address such a thing to the common men does not mean that Allah forgives all sins without repentance, but Allah Himself has explained in the following verses that sins are forgiven only when the sinner turns to Allah's worship and service and adopts obedience to the message sent down by Him. As a matter of fact, this verse brought a message of hope for those people who had committed mortal sins like murder, adultery, theft, robbery, etc. in the days of ignorance, and had despaired whether they would ever be forgiven. To them it has been said: "Do not despair of Allah's mercy: whatever you might have done in the past, if you sincerely turn to your Lord's obedience, you will be forgiven every sin." The same interpretation of this verse has been given by Ibn `Abbas, Qatadah, Mujahid and Ibn Zaid. (Ibn Jarir, Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Da'ud, Tirmidhi). For further explanation, see AI-Furqan: 70-71 and the E.N.'s thereof.

(39:54) Turn to your Lord and surrender yourselves to Him before the chastisement over-takes you; for then you will receive no help. (39:55) Follow the best *72 of what has been revealed to you from your Lord before the chastisement suddenly comes upon you without you even being aware of it.”

*72 "To follow the best aspect of the Book of Allah" means that one should carry out the Commands Allah has given and refrain from what He has forbidden, and learn lessons from what He has brought out in the parables and narratives. As against this, the one who turns away from Allah's Commands, indulges in the forbidden things, and dces not heed His admonitions, follows the worst aspect of the Book of AIlah, i.e. that aspect which the Divine Book has declared as the most evil.

(39:56) Lest a person should say: “Alas for me for neglecting my duty towards Allah and for being among those that scoffed”; (39:57) and lest a person should say: “If only Allah had guided me, I should have been one of the God-fearing”; (39:58) or lest he should say, when he sees the chastisement: “O that I might return again, and be among those who do good.”

Bear in mind the following verse of the same surah.

(39:59) Yes indeed! But My Signs came to you and you rejected them as lies, and waxed arrogant and were among those who disbelieved.
http://www.tafheem.net/tafheem.html