Free Will

saffanah

speak good or silent
Free Will
According to Quran and Sunnah

The term "free will" is a christian term, and it should not be used by Muslims. Until you can find a hadith or ayat that says "free will," stay away from the words and use the words Allah subhana wa ta'ala and His Messenger use to describe the will of mankind in relation to his Creator.

Here is the Merriam Webster dictionary definition of "free will." There is shirk involved in the use of this term.:
Main Entry: free will
Function: noun
Date: 13th century
1 : voluntary choice or decision <I do this of my own free will>
2 : freedom of humans to make choices that are not determined by prior causes or by divine intervention .

It is better for us to be selective in our words, and select the words from the verses of Al-Quran and Sunnah. Instead of trying to explain our will as being "free," we should simply describe it as it has already been described to us in Quran and Sunnah.

Allah's Will is not like mankind's will. When we will to do something, it may or may not happen. When Allah Wills something, that is exactly what happens.
And had Allâh willed, He could have made you (all) one nation, but He sends astray whom He wills and guides whom He wills. But you shall certainly be called to account for what you used to do. [Qur'an 16:93]

Some people have a hard time accepting that Allah swt created some people for the hellfire; they attempt to explain it away by perpetuating the belief that Allah swt only created good and evil happened all by itself, beyond Allah's control. They cannot accept that Allah would create people to sin and therefore it must have been an "accident" of some type. This is straight out shirk, the greatest sin.

Why did Allah permit evil, why did Allah swt create beings capable of evil, why, why, why? Well, ask yourself this first: Why did Allah, swt, create (at all)? This is His Choice, and if you don't like it, well, then you wouldn't be here in existence if you had your way, anyway!
So let us all examine ourselves and be sure there's not a part of us that is not content with Allah's decision to allow evil at the hands of man.

Christianity teaches that one of the angels, Lucifer, had "free will", and disobeyed Allah/God and created a rebellious army against Allah/God. All of this happened as though Allah/God had no control over it - after all, "how could God allow evil except that it wasn't by choice." Some sects of christianity even go so far as to state there is no such thing as hell - after all, how dare God create such a thing? Subhan'Allah.

Do we similitude the way Allah swt creates with the way mankind creates? If we create something, we not only don't know its future with certainty, but we also don't have absolute control over it. For instance, we create a computer program, but it "crashes" sometimes, because we made a mistake. Or we create a xlock that ticks as we created it to - but we don;t know exactly when it will stop ticking and we can't completely control that when creating it. We can estimate, but we have no certainty in our control over the future.

Allah swt KNOWS ALL AND IS IN CONTROL OF ALL. Not just sorta in control, and not just some or most of the time.

"There is nothing like unto Him and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer." (v.42:11)

Let us not forget "the people of the garden" (see Qur'an Surah Al-Qalam) who transgressed by not saying "insha'Allah" (if Allah Wills it) when referring to something they willed.

And finally, where is the "free" in "free will?" Name one thing that you can do that is free from Allah's Will.

(For) each and every matter there is a Decree (from Allâh). [Qur'an 13:38]

Verily, this (the Qur'ân) is no less than a Reminder to (all) the 'Alamîn (mankind and jinns).To whomsoever among you who wills to walk straight, And you will not, unless (it be) that Allâh wills, the Lord of the 'Alamîn (mankind, jinns and all that exists). [Qur'an 81: 27-29]

Allâh! Lâ ilâha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. Neither slumber, nor sleep overtake Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission? He knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world, and what will happen to them in the Hereafter . And they will never compass anything of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His Kursî ["throne"] extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great. [This Verse 2:255 is called Ayat-ul-Kursî.]

Action Items for the Muttaqun:

Fear Allah, azza wa-jall (may Allah be hollowed and glorified) and know that it is Allah, subhana watala, who decides your fate.

Do not question what is already written, for it was written by Allah to happen.
Example: Saying, "That shouldn't have happened!" is a statement against the Qadar.

Do not use the Qadar as an excuse for your actions. You do not know the future, even though it was already written. So you are responsible for your action or inaction.
Hadith Narrated by Jabir Ibn Jarir recorded from Jabir bin `Abdullah that he said, "O Messenger of Allah! Are we performing deeds for something that has already been predetermined or is the matter based upon what we are just doing (now)'' The Prophet replied, (It is a matter that has been predetermined.) Then Suraqah said, "Then what is the purpose of deeds'' The Messenger of Allah then said, (Everyone who does deeds will have his deeds made easy for him.) Muslim also recorded this Hadith.

Call upon Allah, subhana watala, for your strength, support and sustenance.

muttaqun.com

Ladybug3478

Hello,

This topic has been something I've thought about the last couple of months. I was raised as a Christian and would probably identify myself as one if asked since it's in human character to categorize each other. But, I really just consider myself as someone who desires to serve God in a manor that is pleasing. Of course, God knows my destination. (religious background information provided because of the term 'Free Will').

So, I have been wondering where the line of 'Free Will' ends and 'God's Will' began and exactly what is my responsibility. My latest reasoning consisted of that fact that we are punished so, if people are punished for what they have done it must be because they are somewhat accountable for their choice. Example...Adam and Eve choosing to eat the apple. But, I now understand from your post that we are not responsible for the choices made during our life time because God alone chose what will happen (we have no input) and its that way for reasons beyond my understanding. So, I need not think that my choices and therefore my punishments are in anyway under my control since it will be done as written by God for reasons that will be made know at a later time (possibly).

Does this sound about right or am I missing something?

Thanks

saffanah

speak good or silent
Hello Ladybug,
Thank you for the question,
here a good explanation from Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, former President of the Islamic Society of North America, states:

“We do not use the word “fate” in Islam. The word “fate” means “the power that determines the outcome of events before they occur”. Some people believe in fate as an independent and invisible power that controls their destinies. Such people are called “fatalists”. A Muslim is not a fatalist person. Muslims believe in Allah and only Allah has the power to predetermine anything. Allah is “al-Qadir” (the All Powerful or Omnipotent) and “al-`Alim” (the All Knower, Omniscient). Since Allah has power over every thing, He must know everything. He must know things before they happen, because if He knew things only after they happened, He would not have full power over them. Allah not only knows everything, but He also decides and determines everything in His universe. Whatever happens in this world happens according to Allah’s decision and plan. In Islamic terminology this principle is known as “al-qada’ wa al-qadar”(the decision and determination of Allah). It is a very important principle of iman (faith).

Does this mean that we human beings have no freedom? It seems that way apparently to some people. One Western scholar put the problem very interestingly in the following words: “If God knows everything He must know the future, and if He knows the future, He must know the future acts of His creatures. But then His creatures must act, as He knows they will act. How then can they be free?” There are many people who became confused by looking at the problem in this way. There were also some Muslim thinkers who believed that human beings had no freedom. They were called “Jabriyyah”. The majority of Muslim scholars did not accept this position, they strongly criticized and condemned this position and considered it against the teachings of the Qur’an and authentic Sunnah. The mainstream Muslim position is that Allah has the knowledge of all things and He has the power over all things. Allah, however, has also granted freedom to human beings. Allah’s power and foreknowledge do not mean that human beings have no freedom, nor does Human freedom negate Allah’s power and foreknowledge. Human beings are free only as much as Allah has granted them the freedom. However, in spite of our human freedom we are still under the control of Allah and within His knowledge. Allah will judge us according to the freedom and responsibility that He gave us. He knows very well how much freedom we have and to what extent we are able to exercise our freedom, each one of us in our own circumstances. It is for this reason that we say that only Allah is the True and Final Judge. In the Qur’an He is called “Ahkam al-hakimin” (the best of all the judges, Hud, 11:45; at-Tin, 95:8).

When we carefully examine our own selves and the world around us, we see two things very clearly. On the one hand we find ourselves overwhelmed by forces that are apparently beyond our decision and control, but on the other hand we do experience real freedom and we make our choices between various options.

In modern terminology people use the terms “nature” and “nurture”. The truth is that neither everything that we do is by nature, i.e. we are born with it; nor every thing is by nurture.

The truth is that we are free and we are determined both at the same time. Nature and nurture both work in our lives. Our freedom is limited, nevertheless it does exist and it is the deciding factor for our responsibility and consequently for the eternal reward or punishment.

In the Qur’an Allah has spoken about His control and power as well as human freedom and responsibility. Both aspects are very clearly mentioned in the Qur’an. The best way to understand and interpret the Qur’an is to keep both of these aspects in mind. We should not emphasize our freedom at the expense of Allah’s power and knowledge, nor should we speak about Allah’s power and knowledge by negating and denying our own freedom and responsibility. Mawlana Mawdudi – may Allah bless his soul – in his book Qada and Qadar (in Urdu) collected both types of verses from the Qur’an. Following a selection of these Qur’anic statements.

On Allah’s power and control, see the following verses:

“All power belongs to Allah” (al-Baqarah: 165) “Say, Allah is the Creator of all things, and He is the One the Mighty.” (ar-Ra`d: 16) “Allah has created you and all that you do.” (as-Saffat: 96) “No female conceives, nor does she bring forth a child save with His knowledge. And no one is granted long life, not is anything diminished of its life, but it is all recorded in a book...” (Fatir: 11) “No misfortune can happen on earth or in your souls but is recorded in a decree before We bring it into existence. That is truly easy for Allah. In order that you may not despair over matters that pass you by, not exult over favors bestowed upon you. For Allah loves not any vainglorious boaster…” (al-Hadid: 22-23). “To Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth. He enlarges the provisions for whomsoever He pleases and straitens it for whomsoever He pleases. Surely He knows all things full well…” (ash-Shura: 12) “And say not of anything, ‘I shall do it tomorrow’, unless Allah wills...” (al-Kahf: 23-24) “If Allah touches you with affliction there is none to remove it but He; and if He touches you with happiness, then He has power to do all that He wills.” (al-An`am:17) “Whom Allah will, He lets go astray, and whom He wills, He places on the right path.” (al-An`am: 39) “Do you desire to guide him whom Allah has caused to perish? And for him whom Allah causes to perish you shall not find a way.” (an-Nisa’: 88) “If your Lord has enforced His will, surely, all those who are on the earth would have believed together. Will you then force people to become believers? And none can believe except by the permission of Allah…” (Yunus: 99-100)

But on the human freedom and responsibility read the following verses:

“Neither according to your desires, nor according to the desires of the People of the Book, whosoever will do evil will be requited accordingly and shall not find beside Allah any protector or helper. If any do deeds of righteousness, be they male or female, and have faith, they will enter heaven and not the least injustice will be done to them.” (an-Nisa’: 123-124) “This because Allah does never change a favor that He has conferred upon a people until they change their own condition...” (al-Anfal: 53) “Every person stands pledged for what he has earned.” (at-Tur: 21) “It is the truth from your Lord; wherefore let his who will, believe, and let him who will, disbelieve.” (al-Kahf: 29) “This is a reminder. So let him, who will, take a way unto his Lord.” (al-Muzzammil: 19) “And hasten towards forgiveness from your Lord...” (Al `Imran: 133) “O our people, respond to God’s summoner and believe in him…” (al-Ahqaf: 31) “Turn to your Lord and submit yourselves to Him...” (az-Zumar: 54) “Corruption has spread on land and sea because of what people’s hands have wrought.” (ar-Rum: 41) “Whatever misfortune befalls you is the consequence of what your own hands have wrought. And Allah forgives many of your sins.” (ash-Shura: 30) “Indeed Allah does not wrong the people at all; it is they wrong their own selves.” (Yunus: 44) “As for Thamud, We guided them, but they preferred blindness to guidance.” (Fussilat 41:17) “There is no compulsion in religion. Surely the right way has become distinct from error.” (al-Baqarah: 256)

The Qur’an has no contradictions. Allah’s power and knowledge and human freedom are not mutually exclusive. Whatever freedom we have is granted to us by Allah and we should use it to submit to Him freely and willingly. This is the honor that Allah has given us and for this honor angels were asked by Allah to bow in respect and honor of the progenitor of the human race Adam (may the peace of Allah be upon him).”

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from:
http://pakistanlink.com/religion/2000/05-05.html

You can also read:

Divine Predestination & Man's Free Will :http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...h-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503544138

Between Destiny, Working and Free Will :http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...h-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543728

islamonline.com

sha587

Shahid abdullah
Mashallah very good article.

What i have learnt from my experience is dont ask question about qadar. it will only raise more question and misunderstanding about Deen. Just accept it without any logic. No question.

Ladybug3478

Hello,

What is qadar and deen?

I understand that there will be things I will never understand in this life time and therefore must leave 'as is' and, there are things I must learn more about (on a personal level) as it will lead me to my pre determined path.

* Never thought about the word 'fate' in the way it was presented in your post - thanks!

So, there is obviously many aspects to this thing called 'free will'. Again, more than what I can ever understand in this life time and/ or the 10% of my active brain will allow.

Your post has provided a better understanding - thanks again.

God has created all - we are nature and God will nurture. God has determined the outcome of all but, allowed us a moment of 'choice'. We may not be able to know the amount of choices which are given for reasons only known to God (maybe there is something specific he has planned to teach) but, that is not necessarily important to our present life purpose. The choices we make are extremely important because they determine what happens next within our life and the hereafter but, again this is all decided ahead of time (maybe our souls are aware of this???). So, if life at all mimics the hereafter (which I believe in some respects it does) then we can take a look at ego and experience- basically, how we are made and how we are made to learn. Example: I can tell my friend a thousand times not to do something but, its not until that friend experiences the situation will they actually believe and therefore grow. Someone once told me we are made to learn from pain...wow...this thought still puts me at awe. Anyway, God decided all this in advance to play out at a predetermined time. So, he gave us 'freedom' to chose but, since we know everything that we know of is all for the 'hereafter' (as we call it) this whole experience is for the 'hereafter'. God made us in a way that he decided what we will chose and for reasons unknown at this moment -we not only have to experience the outcome of our choices in this life but, God has greater things to show us later. Of course, my little mind can't understand the greatness of God's plan.

Chose well, your choice is brief yet, endless. I found this quote on a tea bag but, think it's so true.

If what I'm thinking is way off what you were saying - please let me know. :)

Do Muslims believe that everyone temporarily go to hell and suffer for what you’ve done in life and eventually everyone goes to heaven - or something to that effect?

Thanks

Shahzad

Do Muslims believe that everyone temporarily go to hell and suffer for what you’ve done in life and eventually everyone goes to heaven - or something to that effect?

Not every one, only that persson who has died upon kufr, will go to hell. He will stay there permanently.
While, a person died as muslim may go to hell, receive some punishment and then will go to jannah.

Ladybug3478

Not every one, only that persson who has died upon kufr, will go to hell. He will stay there permanently.
While, a person died as muslim may go to hell, receive some punishment and then will go to jannah.

Oh, so what makes a person Kufr or what is Kufr?

Thanks

sha587

Shahid abdullah
I think we can understand it with artificial intelligence. When computer scientist make a software he knows all the possibility as he is one who wrote down the code. When this code is embedded in robot than he is free to act on the base of the embedded code and he is free in his action and in his circle and he choses whatever he likes but the person who wrote down the code he already know what capbilites my code has. simple,right.

Now the question is if this robot ask freedom. freedom in a sense he asks as much freedom as his creator has. is this possible? of course not. He can not reach at the height of the person who made him. Isnt it simple.

sha587

Shahid abdullah
Kufr means to cover something up; hence the farmer is kaafir because he covers up with the seed (bizra). The proof for this is where Allah says in the Qur’aan: “…like the example of crops, it is for those Zurrah impressed with the fruit which come out…” (EMQ Al-Hadeed, 57: 20)

He calls them kuffar and here he is talking about the farmer. The kaafir is called kaafir because he covers up the ni’aam (blessings) of Allah (SWT) or he denies it. The blessings of Allah are part of his signs and that which proves his existence and which motivates mankind to submit to the creator exclusively. The first ni’ma he covers is to not speak the truth and the verses which have been revealed in order to submit to the creator. He denies and conceals the fitrah (the natural disposition) just like we call the Farmer kaafir because he covers the seeds.

Remember that ta’reef (definition) of kufr: That which negates and opposes Eemaan.

Kufr akbar (major kufr):

Does kufr akbar takes a person out of the millah of Islam? In general, yes it does, however this is not very accurate as we are speaking about kufr and not apostasy. Every ridda (apostasy) is kufr but not vice versa as the kuffar asliheen (original kaafir i.e. a Christian) are not apostates. Hence the definition of kufr akbar is: The kufr which prevents a person to give him the attributes of Islaam and its sanctity or immunity. It is better for kufr akbar to concentrate on the first part. shirk akbar (major shirk) is also kufr akbar. If someone loses their sanctity, his life and property will also have no sanctity.

The difference between kufr akbar and apostasy is that both in the dunya will have special rules, those related to the kaafir asli (original kaafir) and those related to the apostate, but both in the hereafter have the same destiny – i.e. Hell-fire forever, the worst destiny. No one has the right to intercede for him (whether he be kaafir, mushrik or munaafiq). Those who attribute themselves to the Salaf confuse this topic.

Al-Kufrun Bawaah (explicit kufr) or Kufr I’tiqaadi (kufr in belief) are all Kufr Akbar.

Examples from the Qur’aan:

And (remember) when Ibrâhim (Abraham) said, “My Lord, make this city (Makkah) a place of security and provide its people with fruits, such of them as believe in Allâh and the Last Day.” He (Allâh) answered: “As for him who disbelieves, I shall leave him in contentment for a while, then I shall compel him to the torment of the Fire, and worst indeed is that destination!” (EMQ Al-Baqarah, 2: 126)

Surely, in disbelief are they who say that Allâh is the Messiah, son of Maryam (Mary). (EMQ Al-Maaidah, 5: 17)

This explicitly indicates the one who commits kufr akbar is kaafir.

Surely, disbelievers are those who said: “Allâh is the third of the three (in a Trinity).” But there is no ilâh (god) (none who has the right to be worshipped) but One Ilâh (God - Allâh). And if they cease not from what they say, verily, a painful torment will befall the disbelievers among them. (EMQ Al-Maaidah, 5: 73)

Regarding those who reject and do not want to follow:

But those who disbelieve and belie Our Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) such are the dwellers of the Fire, they shall abide therein forever. (EMQ Al-Baqarah, 2: 39)

Verily, those who disbelieve, and die while they are disbelievers, it is they on whom is the Curse of Allâh and of the angels and of mankind, combined.

They will abide therein (under the curse in Hell), their punishment will neither be lightened, nor will they be reprieved. (EMQ Al-Baqarah, 2: 161-162)

The 19 shu’ub al-kufr (19 branches of kufr)

Always remember them so that you will never commit kufr and become kaafir

1. Kufr At-takdheeb – to disbelieve

…Who is more Zaalim (oppressor) then the one who lies about Allah or disbelieves in what Allah say? Is there not enough space for the kaafir in jahannam? (EMQ Al-‘Ankaboot, 29: 68]

2. Kufr Al-Ibaa-a – The kufr of rejecting

And when We said to the angels: Make obeisance to Adam they did obeisance, but Iblis (did it not). He refused (aba-a) and he was proud, and he was one of the unbelievers. (EMQ Al-Baqarah, 2: 34)

They have taken a small price for the communications of Allah, so they turn away from His way; surely evil is it that they do. (EMQ At-Tawbah, 9: 9)

And certainly We have explained for men in this Qur’aan every kind of similitude, but most men do not consent to aught but denying. (EMQ Al-‘Israa, 17: 89)

3. Kufr Al-Juhood – kufr of denying

‘…Allah know that it makes you sad what they say, they do not disbelieve in what you say (i.e. call you a liar) but those people deny the signs of Allah…’ (EMQ Al-An‘aam, 6: 33-34)

‘…And the inmates of the fire shall call out to the dwellers of the garden, saying: Pour on us some water or of that which Allah has given you. They shall say: Surely Allah has prohibited them both to the Kaafir, those who took their own Deen as a Joke and played with the Deen and were misled by temptations of the dunya…’ (EMQ Al-A’araaf, 7: 50-51)

‘…nobody has Juhood (deny the ayat) except the Kaafir…’ (EMQ Al-‘Ankaboot, 29: 47)

‘…And they denied them unjustly and proudly while their soul had been convinced of them; consider, then how was the end of the mischief-makers...’ (EMQ An-Naml, 27: 14)

This verse talks about the way the Jews denied the Prophet-hood of Muhammad (saw) and yet had yaqeen (conviction) in their hearts (as he fit the description mentioned in their Torah).

And when a wave like mountains covers them they call upon Allah, being sincere to Him in obedience, but when He brings them safe to the land, some of them follow the middle course; and none denies Our signs but every perfidious, ungrateful one. (EMQ Luqmaan, 31: 32)

Taken by
http://www.islamicnetwork.com/index.php/weblog/comments/branches_of_kuffr/

OmarFarooq

i am confused :(

Saffanah in your first post it says:
Allah swt KNOWS ALL AND IS IN CONTROL OF ALL. Not just sorta in control, and not just some or most of the time.

And this is from your second post:

There were also some Muslim thinkers who believed that human beings had no freedom. They were called “Jabriyyah”. The majority of Muslim scholars did not accept this position, they strongly criticized and condemned this position and considered it against the teachings of the Qur’an and authentic Sunnah. The mainstream Muslim position is that Allah has the knowledge of all things and He has the power over all things. Allah, however, has also granted freedom to human beings.

its seems like they contradict each other. The first one says we have no control and that Allah swt has all control and its not just sometimes but always.

but the second one says that we have some times have control or freedom. whats going on?

sha587

Shahid abdullah
Many Muslims believe that what they are going to do is caused by what has already been written in Al-Lauhulmahfudz - they confuse 'causation' with 'association'. In truth what we have is association, not causation. What we do is not caused by what is written by Allah. Allah with His ultimate knowledge knew what we are going to do. He could easily have put the good-doers into Jannah and the evil-doers into the Hellfire. But Allah is Adil (Just) so He created us in this life as to test us which way to go. What we are going to do will match what has already been written but it's not a matter of causation - what we do is out of our own willingness and ability and we do have full responsibility on whatever choice we make.

Looking at guidance and misguidance, guidance (hidayah) is a gift (rahmah) from Allah. It is Allah who created us and gave us the mind so we can distinguish between right and wrong to a certain capacity. It is Allah who equipped us with fitrah to like the truth and good and to dislike the wrong and evil It is Allah who gave us the ability and power to do things and it is Allah who sent the Messenger with the Message to guide us in things, which are beyond the reach of our conception. So when it comes to guidance it is a bounty from Allah.

But when it comes to misguidance, it has to do with us. When we do bad deeds, it is from our own willingness and ability.

Those who turn away from guidance do so because they want to turn away, i.e. they choose not to be guided. They have been misguided because they are arrogant - they refuse to listen.

And so when they swerved from the right way, Allah let their hearts swerve from the truth.
[Surah As-Saff (61): ayat 5]

Nevertheless there are people who have not received the Message of Islam/guidance at all or the Message has not reached them in the clearest form, i.e. it is incomplete or distorted. These people are called Ahlul Fatrah and will be excused and not be punished, even though there are misguided.
Taken By(http://fortyhadith.iiu.edu.my/hadith02.htm)
If you read my post in this thread about artificial intelligence than may be it is easy to understand.
What Allah knows is nothing to do with you.

Imagine you have a electric button. All you can do with button is on/off. Does it mean you are in a controlled environmeny...no its the nature of the switch. It can only perform these two functions. But people still use and no body says we are in a controlled envir. If someone write down a program he already know possible number of outputs. But he is not controlling you he just write down the program and taking the input from the user. I guess too much computrized thinking...Huh

saffanah

speak good or silent
Ladybug, this is the definition of DEEN:
Deen (Arabic: دين‎) is an Arabic word commonly translated as "religion", "way" or "path". Some, but not all, English-speaking Muslims do not accept the common-language translation of deen as "religion", seeing this as a human-made or ideological concept. They instead use the untranslated Arabic word to signify something above and beyond that concept, perhaps more approximating "faith" (or "way" or "path", as mentioned above), which cannot be translated to an exact equivalent, but only grasped through an understanding and application of Islamic principles. The argument is that Islam is a "Deen" which means it is not only a "religion" as the English word signifies, but it is a complete way of life. (wikipedia.org)

While what is meant by al-qadar is that Allaah has decreed all things from eternity and knows that they will happen at times that are known to Him, and in specific ways, and that He has written that and willed it, and they happen according to what He has decreed. [al-Qada’ wa’l-Qadar by Dr ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Mahmoud, p. 39].

Belief in al-qadar is based on four things:

1 – Knowledge, i.e., that Allaah knows what His creation will do, by virtue of His eternal knowledge.

2 – Writing, i.e., that Allaah has written the destiny of all creatures in al-Lawh al-Mahfooz.

3 – Will, i.e., that what Allaah wills happens and what He does not will does not happen. There is no movement in the heavens or on earth but it happens by His will.

4 – Creation and formation, i.e., that Allaah is the Creator of all things, including the actions of His slaves. They do their actions in a real sense, and He is the Creator of them and of their actions.

Whoever believes in these four believes in al-qadar.
(islam-q&a)

saffanah

speak good or silent
i am confused :(
its seems like they contradict each other. The first one says we have no control and that Allah swt has all control and its not just sometimes but always.

but the second one says that we have some times have control or freedom. whats going on?

Assalamu'alaikum, brother OmarFarooq.

It's not my intention to make confusion in my posts.
What I'm trying to say is that a person has freedom of will, and hence he will be rewarded or punished. But his will is subject to the will of Allaah, and nothing can take place in the universe that is not willed by Allaah.

What some people say, that we have the choice to follow whatever path we want but at the end of this path you will find what Allaah has decreed for you, is a correct view. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, We showed him the way, whether he be grateful or ungrateful”
[al-Insaan 76:3]

“And shown him the two ways (good and evil)?”

[al-Balad 90:10]

“And say: “The truth is from your Lord.” Then whosoever wills, let him believe; and whosoever wills, let him disbelieve”

[al-Kahf 18:29]

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, explaining the view of Ahl al-Sunnah with regard to man’s deeds:

People act in a real sense, and Allaah is the Creator of their actions. A person may be a believer or a kaafir, righteous or immoral, he may pray and fast. People have control over their actions, and they have their own will, and Allaah is the Creator of their control and will
, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“To whomsoever among you who wills to walk straight. And you cannot will unless (it be) that Allaah wills the Lord of the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists)”

[al-Takweer 81:28-29]

al-Waasitiyyah ma’a Sharh Harraas, p. 65.

Here is the Merriam Webster dictionary definition of "free will." There is shirk involved in the use of this term.:
Main Entry: free will
Function: noun
Date: 13th century

1 : voluntary choice or decision <I do this of my own free will>
2 : freedom of humans to make choices that are not determined by prior causes or by divine intervention . [/B]

Free will - is a free and independent choice as stated in #1. The 2nd definition is actually one derived from Philosophy - of which many are atheists and use it according to their ideas.

But, I now understand from your post that we are not responsible for the choices made during our life time because God alone chose what will happen (we have no input) and its that way for reasons beyond my understanding. So, I need not think that my choices and therefore my punishments are in anyway under my control since it will be done as written by God for reasons that will be made know at a later time (possibly).

Actually, you are 110% responsible for your own choices. Things are NOT predestined but are actually preknown to God. Read this post:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=82084&postcount=6

Ladybug3478

Hello Humblewon,

You stated that we have 110% freedom over our choices. And, if the choices are usually between the right path or the wrong path - what determines what your choice will be? I think the determining factor is faith. And, if faith is the determining factor isn't it God who grants the amount of faith someone will have? Isn't it God who chooses to harden or soften someone’s heart to his message? If this is the case then, how can we have 110% freedom of choice?

I do believe somehow responsibility of choice lays in our laps. Life is made of choices through out the days - what will I wear and what time will I leave the house and will I decide to help the needy person across the street? But, when that needy person receives help - is it us that has helped the person or is it God? That much needed help - was it all a part of Gods plan? Was it God that the person prayed to and then God blessed us by having us help someone in need? God isn't spontaneous, right? Instead God is patient and planned and has connected everything in nature. And, if everything is connected can people actually make spontaneous decisions and effect the universe in a moment but, still somehow the decision is known ahead of time(could be possible)?

There seems to be major and minor choices. There are things such as guidance by the unseen, temptation, situations in which we have no control. Situations in which we believe or would like to believe that we have control. I mean, people can be extremely weak. Decisions can be made for us by others and we think that we made the choice or came up with that idea. A TV show can make someone want to go outside and buy a coffee at the famous cafe but, if asked we would say that we made the choice to do so.

God is a fair God so if we are punished there must be some way that we are responsible. Lets not forget that Satan tempted Jesus - so, a level of freedom in regard to choice is probably possible. And wasn't it all Gods plan to have Moses lead the Jews out of Egypt? Did Moses choose to leave the comfort of the desert and his family in order to approach pharoah? How much of this was actually Moses' choice? And, God did create people specifically for the fire. We have to remember it's not all about us. Satan is trying to prove that he can take many of us to the fire with him. Most importantly humans and the universe are made from God's formula so, not only has he created us and knows the outcome - I believe he has created the outcome. There is probably a missing component.

Well, maybe I'm wrong and if so, I pray for God's guidance. Above are my current thoughts but, I am trying to learn not teach and if there is something I'm missing or a verse that I should read - please provide.

Thanks

sha587

Shahid abdullah
Allah did not give us 100% or 110% chice of freedom.

Someone asked hazrat Ali(RA) how much control i have. He said raise your one leg. Person did it than he asked raise your other leg, he said i cant so hazrat ali(RA) said that was your control.

So people dont have full control. Allah defin have some planings. We are not aware of it.
But if he is planing it means he did not give us 100% control.

The reason why he did not give us 100% control.
1. this universe is running by Allah not by people.
2. Because he adil(justice) he can not allow everyone to make his own chice everytime,otherwise universe will be in a chaos. To make sure the correctness of this universe it is neccessary to reserve some rights for Allah. Like not everyone can change the contents of the book otherwise the original purpose of the book will not remain the same. Everyone will change the contents.

But we have some control

I think every intelligent person can see and understand where he has control and where he does not have control.

1.Someone born(no control)
2. Grow up(no control)
3. Death(no control)

We do need any logical arguments whether these are controlable or not.

We can control Like
1. Choice of study
2. choice of thinking
3. choice of eating

But the question is may be all these are already planned by Allah. Answer is so simple, the creator of the machine knows what machine will do. Isnt it. So Allah knows what human will do. If you study Quran you can see quran is full of human psychology. Because Allah almighty created us so it is very odd that he dont know what the human will do. Here i am again posting what i have already posted.

some people believe that what they are going to do is caused by what has already been written in Al-Lauhulmahfudz - they confuse 'causation' with 'association'. In truth what we have is association, not causation. What we do is not caused by what is written by Allah. Allah with His ultimate knowledge knew what we are going to do. He could easily have put the good-doers into Jannah and the evil-doers into the Hellfire. But Allah is Adil (Just) so He created us in this life as to test us which way to go. What we are going to do will match what has already been written but it's not a matter of causation - what we do is out of our own willingness and ability and we do have full responsibility on whatever choice we make.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

We have many parts to our beings. One part is our physical self..that which is flesh. This part reacts to life. This is the stuff which makes us wish to remain in this world. We have one part which is ready to listen to the Light of the Lamp within us. Here is the home of reason. Here is the home of the Path to Reality. We are given opportuinites in life. We are given choices. Beyond reason lies an area which is hard to caputure in words. In this realm we have the wisdom from Allah subhana talla. As we discipline our will with the commands of Allah subhana talla we discover we are no longer in conflict therefore our will is completly in accordance with the Divine Plan. There is no need to dwell on the concept of free will. The act of prayer is a perfect example.
As our iman increases in scope so does our need to please Allah subhana talla; the Sunnath of the Prophet is our path.