Generosity and Thoughtfulness?

muslim56

Human Being
:salam2:
Recently, as you can see from the title, I have been having some trouble with seeing which one is better. As you might know, generosity and thoughtfulness are two traits which are encouraged by Islam but are opposite in meaning.
Generosity is to give someone when they ask you,
Thoughtfulness is to give someone without them asking you.
This is only the first part of my question but, inshaallah, when we reach a sufficient conclusion, we will move on to the next part of my question.

muslim56

Human Being
Assalaam walaikum,

Why are you polarizing the traits?

You see sister, many a time, I seen a person who could be regarded generous being called stingy because he wasn't thoughtful enough. I'm not saying one is bad and the other is good, I just want to see which one has more greater benefit to the people.

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Recently, as you can see from the title, I have been having some trouble with seeing which one is better. As you might know, generosity and thoughtfulness are two traits which are encouraged by Islam but are opposite in meaning.
Generosity is to give someone when they ask you,
Thoughtfulness is to give someone without them asking you.
This is only the first part of my question but, inshaallah, when we reach a sufficient conclusion, we will move on to the next part of my question.

salam aleikum wa rahmatulahy wa barakatuh

from my view both are good, but maybe depends on how much we have, on how much we can give -

if we have just little we can be generous, inchallah
if we have more then what we actually need, we can reach thoughtfulness, inchallah

may Allah guide us all, ameen

strive-may-i

WaLaikum Salaam Wa Rahmathullaahi Wa barakaathu hu,

Aapa has asked a valid question...

I should be generous while giving and thoughtful on whom/how/what I give...

Does that help you understand the way I see it ?

strive-may-i

Its best for a Human to assist in best manner possible. Understand whats missing, and fill it to best extent possible, to bring a better outcome ...

A hadees:
The Prophet was asked: "But what happens if he has nothing to give?". He said: "If he has nothing, he must do a work with his hand by which he obtains something and benefits himself and gives alms with the remainder". The man asked: "But what happens if he is not able to do the work?". Muhammad replied: "Then he should assist the needy and the oppressed". He was asked: "What happens if he is not able to assist the needy and the oppressed" He said: "Then he should exhort people to do good". Another question: "And if he cannot?". He said: "Then let him withhold himself from doing harm to people for verily that is as alms and charity for him"

Hope this helps too..

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

If we link this to dua and zakat you may gain a deeper understanding of what you are really asking.

Look at it this way...you can give and give and be generous as is the case with zakat. Do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing...

but when you make dua for a believer that is your brother in faith..it is the equalizer...you do it with heart.

muslim56

Human Being
So you can say someone who is both generous and thoughtful is what Islam is looking for, am I right?

strive-may-i

So you can say someone who is both generous and thoughtful is what Islam is looking for, am I right?

Islam is what a human should look upto :) Whats the reason behind these thoughts may I know?

From the way you split it up, I can think of situation where being thoughtful yet not being too generouns, works better...

Can you give examples for each of below where a person was
1.generous but not thoughtful.
2. Not generous but thoughtful
!!!