Getting frustrated because I keep going back to listening to music...help?

WannabeHijabi

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
This is something which is frustrating me beyond measure, in part because everytime it happens I feel like a failure.m

I've been trying to stop listening to music, which included deleting all but some nasheeds/qiraats from my phone and laptop, and getting rid of any non-Islamic CDs and tapes. I managed at one time to go some weeks without listening deliberately to any non-Islamic music, before I found myself going back to my old music again via YouTube and he internet for no reason at all.

I'm getting frustrated because when I wasn't listening to haraam music, I felt much happier and yet this seemed to be forgotten when I went back to the haraam stuff. I feel like such a failure. What do I do? I can't stop using the internet as it's my only way to really read about Islam and do other really important things.

John Smith

Be patient with yourself,I found myself in the same situation but naturally once I was fully set up with my prayers all other issues fell in line.

Having said that I sound hypocritical because I play music in my store as its part n parcel of the retail environment.

Just be easy with oneself.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
This is something which is frustrating me beyond measure, in part because everytime it happens I feel like a failure.m

I've been trying to stop listening to music, which included deleting all but some nasheeds/qiraats from my phone and laptop, and getting rid of any non-Islamic CDs and tapes. I managed at one time to go some weeks without listening deliberately to any non-Islamic music, before I found myself going back to my old music again via YouTube and he internet for no reason at all.

I'm getting frustrated because when I wasn't listening to haraam music, I felt much happier and yet this seemed to be forgotten when I went back to the haraam stuff. I feel like such a failure. What do I do? I can't stop using the internet as it's my only way to really read about Islam and do other really important things.

:bismillah1:
:salam2:

Take it little by little sister. Don't apply the brakes so hard that your tires burn out. Bring it down gradually. That's what I did. Alhamdulilah I have made a considerable achievement. And, its almost come to "0". YAY!! Sometimes, i do feel like listening to music but then I either try to control my mind or start listening to some lecture. :D Having said that, please work on you ikhlas, work on your imaan, work on getting closer to Allah SWT, once you do that.. Leaving haraam things would be very easy sister.

If you notice the early Surahs which where revealed were mostly focusing on building up the imaan of Believers. So once the imaan was built, once it became firm and strong.. Following the laws/rules revealed in the later Surahs became a cinch. :)

This piece of advice is a reminder for me first. :)

Peace

Min-Fadhli-Rabii

Some scholars they advice that if we can even avoid gnashed is much better, because when you listen nasheeds after sometimes a person becomes bored with thm and then he/she go to listen music, Allaahu Alaam

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

I finally cleared out the last of my CDs about three months ago. I wasn't even listening to them, just keeping them. As soon as they were gone, my nafs went crazy, making me think of songs I hadn't listened to in years and being really persistent. It reminded me of my first fasts and how persistent the "eat something" messages were. It does get easier.

There is good advice above. Don't just replace music with nasheeds, that doesn't break the habit cleanly enough. But if you spend a day or so thinking you will listen to a nasheed, it becomes a treat, something special.
I listened to a lot of talk radio when I stopped listening to music, just to have sound. As you are in UK, Radio 4 was intelligent- recently it doesn't seem as good, but you might try it if need be.
And certainly don't beat yourself up, just resolve to try again.

Something that really helped me was a lecture I listened to. I would post the details if I remembered them, but the idea was roughly - Music lets us feel emotions, some people only feel happy if music lets them feel free enough to forget their worries, and some people might only cry if they listen to sad songs. The emotions may be real, but music is just a trigger, although a very good trigger, it still brings out the emotions falsely. To feel emotions for the sake of Allah swt, rather than letting them out through music, be that laughing together with a friend, or crying at the latest news, these things are real and bring you closer to the ummah, and therefore closer to Allah swt. - ok so I probably put some of my own interpretation in there, but this is why I stopped. I hope this helps some.

unbreak

every human being is different, some people can stop faster then others. it is all in you.

SO DON'T WORRY

TAKES TIME, so be patient. ALLAH KNOWs BEST, because ALLAH is Al-`Alīm – is All-Knowing

TRY TO MEMORIZES the 99 name of allah. WHY? to enter paradise. read more in detail in internet

http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/99names.htm

[video=youtube;mrcoYTGCXvc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrcoYTGCXvc[/video]