** Giving the tramps money for playing music while begging **

OsMaN_93

Here to help
** Giving the homeless money for playing music while begging **

:salam2:

I wanted to know wether it is permissible to give money to people (non muslims) homeless! who beg for money in the streets of the UK...i am talking about the ones that play music!!
if you have seen them before?
.:salam2:

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

I wanted to know wether it is permissible to give money to people (non muslims) TRAMPS! who beg for money in the streets of the UK...i am talking about the ones that play music!!

it probably wouldn't be permissible if the person was intending to buy more musical instruments. most likely they weren't going to do that. his occupation may be haram but it doesn't mean that the person is " haram " . even musicians need to eat. if you have suspicions as to whether or not these people are going to use the funds that you give them, for haram purposes, such as drugs, alcohol etc. it would be best to not give the money. leave it to a person that doesn't have a problem with doing haram things.

there are times when i go out to eat and people want me to bring them something back to eat and usually what they want is haram food; i tell them i can't bring you a ham sandwich because purchasing ham is forbidden to me. they get confused because that since i'm not eating it, there shouldn't be a problem. i tell them that i am not allowed to aid and abet in things that are haram. that islam is a religion intended for all mankind so what's haram for me is haram for you. that's how come i get very upset when muslim businessman sell obviously haram things in many of their stores.
:wasalam:

q8penpals

I wanted to know wether it is permissible to give money to people (non muslims) TRAMPS! who beg for money in the streets of the UK...i am talking about the ones that play music!!

Salam Brother Osman,

Please refrain from calling other human beings names; you do not know how the people who are playing music on the street for money have come into their situation, and it is not for you or any of us to judge others.

To all posters:

Maybe it is because I am a teacher and I am sensitive to the feelings of others and work with character education programs to help youths grow us respectful young adults. There are many posts posted on TTI that are very judgemental (and rude) toward people who are facing difficulties and tests on this Earth. When you judge people, you are actually putting them down and raising yourself up - basically you are saying you are better than "those people".

Please be mindful of what you post about people in a bad situation; maybe some day YOU will end up in a bad situation - would you want others calling you (to use some of the words used to describe non-Muslims or Muslims with sins just recently on different posts throughout TTI) a tramp, filthy, disgusting, kaffir, weak, loose? Our tests come from Allah Himself, and our judge is ONLY Allah himself. I would personally fear that if I am thinking I am better than the begger on the street, Allah may want to test me to see if I could be as strong in my faith as the beggar on the street.

Be kind, and be considerate of others, even when just posting online. It reflects the person that YOU are.

Lana

OsMaN_93

Here to help
Salam Brother Osman,

Please refrain from calling other human beings names; you do not know how the people who are playing music on the street for money have come into their situation, and it is not for you or any of us to judge others.

Lana
jazak Allah kharan, ok then i will call them homeless:(
:astag:
may Allah forgive us...

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

Sister Lana, you took the words right out of my mouth. Besides it's much easier to just buy the person food and such then to worry about where the money is going. I used to live in a neighborhood where there were numerous drug addicts/alcoholics who would beg for money. They inevitably said it was because they were hungry so I would just get them food/drink and hand it over. If the person was just interested in money for drugs they would refuse the food and insist on money.

Of course I wouldn't give money and that way I knew I did my part and the didn't have to worry abotu supporting a habit.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

q8penpals

Salam and shukran Brother Osman, for editing your post.

I believe Sister Shyhijabi is right - if they say they are hungry and you want to be charitable, give them food directly, not money. Or, point them to the nearest unemployment office or shop with a "help wanted" sign in the window.

Lana

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
i have given a man chips in the street before....he was homeless and asked me for a chip and i thought better to give him the whole packet.

I think he really appreciated it, it was cold and the food was hot.

ANother homeless man came up to me whilst I was queuing at the cash machine and salaamed me, i felt bad so i gave him money too. I don't think about what they spend the money on, who is to know that they won't spend it on food?

I admit that i prefer to give to registered charities, or people doing sponsored runs etc.

If people need help then I think if you can help then we should :)

cmelbouzaidi

Just a point, I think the original word used by Brother Osman does not have the same meaning as it does for people who speak American English. In the UK and Ireland (I am Irish) the original word used is not so disrespectful and casts no judgement on how the person came into that position. However, we can stick to "homeless", anyway, just making a point from a linguistic perspective and that I know the good Brother did not mean to be offensive in any way :)

I also like the idea of giving the homeless person soup/sanwich and water so we do not have to worry about the money going to something that could end up harming the person (drugs/alcohol).

Inquirer

Assalamu alaikum,

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful:

Those who spend their wealth for the cause of Allah and afterward make not reproach and injury to follow that which they have spent; their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them, neither shall they grieve. (2:263)

Ye will not attain unto piety until ye spend of that which ye love. And whatsoever ye spend, Allah is Aware thereof. (3:92)

And serve Allah. Ascribe no thing as partner unto Him. (Show) kindness unto parents, and unto near kindred, and orphans, and the needy, and unto the neighbour who is of kin (unto you) and the neighbour who is not of kin, and the fellow-traveller and the wayfarer and (the slaves) whom your right hands possess. Lo! Allah loveth not such as are proud and boastful, Who hoard their wealth and enjoin avarice on others, and hide that which Allah hath bestowed upon them of His bounty. For disbelievers We prepare a shameful doom. (4:36-37)

Tell My bondmen who believe to establish worship and spend of that which We have given them, secretly and publicly, before a day cometh wherein there will be neither traffick nor befriending. (14:31)

Give the kinsman his due, and the needy, and the wayfarer.. (17:26)

Lo! ye are those who are called to spend in the way of Allah, yet among you there are some who hoard. And as for him who hoardeth, he hoardeth only from his soul. And Allah is the Rich, and ye are the poor. And if ye turn away He will exchange you for some other folk, and they will not be the likes of you. (47:38)

Hast thou observed him who belieth religion? That is he who repelleth the orphan, and urges not the feeding of the needy. (107:1-3)

Peace.

Salam Brother Osman,

To all posters:

Maybe it is because I am a teacher and I am sensitive to the feelings of others and work with character education programs to help youths grow us respectful young adults. There are many posts posted on TTI that are very judgemental (and rude) toward people who are facing difficulties and tests on this Earth. When you judge people, you are actually putting them down and raising yourself up - basically you are saying you are better than "those people".

Please be mindful of what you post about people in a bad situation; maybe some day YOU will end up in a bad situation - would you want others calling you (to use some of the words used to describe non-Muslims or Muslims with sins just recently on different posts throughout TTI) a tramp, filthy, disgusting, kaffir, weak, loose? Our tests come from Allah Himself, and our judge is ONLY Allah himself. I would personally fear that if I am thinking I am better than the begger on the street, Allah may want to test me to see if I could be as strong in my faith as the beggar on the street.

Be kind, and be considerate of others, even when just posting online. It reflects the person that YOU are.

Lana

Salaam,

This is one of the primary reasons, I personally do not call non-Muslims whom I'm talking to directly as a kaafir, unless I have direct knowledge that they have received the message of Islam in a clear & undistorted way and then has rejected it. I don't want to boost my ego and think I'm better than them. Arrogance was the reason Iblis (shaytan) was sent to hell.

OsMaN_93

Here to help
by the way... i never intended to think that i'm a higher rank than anyone, it just came out, as the brother previously mentioned its commonly used here, so thats why i used it..
but i will try not to, from now on, inshallah.
:salam2::p

Inquirer

I personally do not call non-Muslims whom I'm talking to directly as a kaafir, unless I have direct knowledge that they have received the message of Islam in a clear & undistorted way and then has rejected it.

Why should we speak ill of people in any way at any time? We are not instructed to do this.

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful:

…the message of Islam:

O ye who believe! Shun much suspicion; for lo! some suspicion is a crime. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of you love to eat the flesh of his dead brother? Ye abhor that (so abhor the other)! And keep your duty (to Allah). Lo! Allah is Relenting, Merciful. (49:12)

When ye welcomed it with your tongues, and uttered with your mouths that whereof ye had no knowledge, ye counted it a trifle. In the sight of Allah it is very great. Wherefore, when ye heard it, said ye not: It is not for us to speak of this. Glory be to Thee (O Allah)! This is awful calumny. (24:15-16)

Tell My bondmen to speak that which is kindlier. Lo! the devil soweth discord among them. Lo! the devil is for man an open foe. (17:53)

Peace be upon us, and between us, be we brothers and sisters in faith, or brothers and sisters in humanity.