Grape seed extract

Abu Talib

Feeling low
The little grape seed is a powerful antioxidant. Generally I recommend getting all the nutrients your body needs from a balanced diet but in the case of grape seed extract you may want to look at taking capsules. The benefits are great even though they come from the tiny seeds or pips of red grapes.

History of grapes

The nutritional value of grapes has been known by many cultures for thousands of years. Egyptians enjoyed grapes at least 6,000 years ago, and several ancient Greek philosophers praised the healing power of grapes; however this was usually in the form of wine. Grape leaves were used to stop bleeding, inflammation and pain. Traditionally the round, ripe, sweet grapes, was used to treat a range of health problems. Seedless varieties have now been developed to appeal to consumers, but researchers are now discovering that many of the health properties of grapes may actually come from the seeds themselves.

What is Grape seed extract?

The extract is taken from the seeds of red grapes and has undergone research to become one of the leading natural medicines in Europe. It belongs to a group of plant substances called flavonoids, which are powerful antioxidants that fight free radicals that can damage your cells.

Free Radicals

Free radicals occur naturally in the body, but environmental toxins (including ultraviolet light, radiation, smoke, certain prescription and non-prescription drugs, and air pollution) can also increase the number of damaging free radicals. Free radicals are believed to contribute to the aging process as well as the development of a number of health problems, including heart disease and cancer. Antioxidants found in grape seeds can neutralize free radicals and may reduce or even help prevent some of the damage they cause and slow down the aging process. Grape Seed is also one of the richest sources of oligomeric proanthocyanidins (better known as OPC). OPCs are potent antioxidants that strengthen capillaries and help to reduce hypertension by improving circulation health. OPCs are a key ingredient in drugs prescribed for blood vessel disorders.

What can these powerful antioxidants do?

They help to stabilize collagen and increase elastin production and are important for cell health and protecting cells from aging. They are also involved in antibody response to harmful germs. They may help strengthen capillaries, improve circulation and heart health and be of benefit to people with diabetes.

Eye Benefits: Grape seed extract may also protect the very small blood vessels in the eyes and so may have an impact on blood circulation in the eye; this may be of benefit to people who spend their days in front of the computer screen

Skin Benefits: The skin is the largest organ in the body and a good overall indicator of health. Grape Seed Extract may help to preserve and reinforce the collagen in the skin, which is why you often see it included in expensive skin creams.

Available Forms

Grape seed is available as a dietary supplement in capsules, tablets, and liquid extracts. Look for products that are standardized to 40 - 80% proanthocyanidins or an OPC content of not less than 95%. Whole grapes, however, make a healthy and safe snack for children.

Cautions

The use of herbs is a traditional approach to strengthening the body and treating disease. Herbs, however, contain components that can trigger side effects and interact with other supplements, or medications. At the recommended dosage, grape seed is considered safe. However, pregnant or breastfeeding women should avoid grape seed supplements. Food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a varied diet. You can get a free copy of my healthy eating plan by e-mailing to: [email protected].

Possible Interactions

If you are taking blood-thinning medications or have bleeding disorders, do not use grape seed without discussing it first with your doctor.

Ask Alva

What is an I.U. and how can I convert it into milligrams (mg)?

— Alan

I.U. stands for International Unit, and although it cannot be converted directly into milligrams, some common applications are listed below:

Vitamin A 1 mg = 2,907 IU of Vitamin A acetate

Vitamin E Synthetic 1 mg = 1.0 IU of dl-alpha tocopherol acetate

Vitamin E Natural 1 mg = 1.49 IU of d-alpha tocopherol

http://arabnews.com/lifestyle/food_health/article374741.ece

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
:salam2:

Alhamdulillah!

Thank you
for sharing this good
informative post
brother.