Habil & Qabil or Cain & Abel????

umm hussain

Asalam alaikum warahmatullah

I was listening to a lecture the other day and the speaker mentioned there is no authentic narration from Quran or Sunnah mentioning that Prophet Adams' children where named Habil and Qabil or Cain and Abel but rather they are referred to as the two sons' of Adam. We are talking about Quran and not Quran translation, footnotes or brackets. Therefore no one knows their names.

Did you know that?

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Sister,

It is correct that the name are NOT mentioned in Qur'aan, however the names are freely mentioned in the Tafseer of Ibn-e-Katheer & the Shaykh does mention that these are names that are mentioned by the Salaf…

I obviously can’t recall all the Ahadeeth that are mentioned in the Tafseer, please feel free to check; if he has mentioned a tradition and he also comments on the relative strength of the Ahadeeth that he brings in.

These names are mentioned as Mutawattur (continuous) in the Ummah and according to Shaykh Al-Albani (RA) Mutawattur is acceptable…I don’t have his Salah book in front of me but Tawattur is mentioned and explained in there, please feel free to check.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

It is the habit of Ibn-e-Katheer (RA) to comment on the strength of Ahadeeth that he quotes in his Tafseer and in the description of Habil & Qabil he brings in Ahadeeth but doesn’t mention any weakness in them. The Ahadeeth mentioned are not from Bukhari or Muslim nevertheless they are neither weak nor Israeli traditions (according to his opinion)

The discussions about Mutawattur (continuous) matters are mentioned under “Facing the Kaba’h” in Shaykh Al-Albani (RA)’s book page 2, footnote 1.