Hair for men?

SeekerofTruth

Asalamu Alaikum All!

I just have a quik question about hair length for men. In the Hadith "Maliks Muwatta 051;006:Section 642",It mentions Abu Qatada al-Ansari saying to Muhammad that he had alot of hair which came down to the shoulders,so he asked Muhammad if he should comb it and Muhammad told him yes and to honour it.

My question is this,by the above hadith and some others It appears that long hair is accpetable for men.Then why do most Muslim men have short hair? Is their a Sunnah that says Muhammad had long or short hair or that one is better than the other?

Sorry if this has been covered before..

Peace
Jerry

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Dear Brother,

As you are aware that hair grow so there are many different narrations about the length of the Hair of Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam).

Imam Tirmidhi has related 8 Ahadeeth about the Hair of Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam) in Shamail as follows:

(23) Hadith Number 1.
Anas R.A. reported: "The hair of Rasulullah (SAW) reached till half of his ears".

(24) Hadith Number 2.
Ayesha R.A. reported: Rasulullah (SAW) and I bathed in one utensil, and the mubarak hair of Rasulullah (SAW) was longer than those that reached the ear lobes, and were less than those that reached the shoulders". (It means that they were not very long nor were they short, but of a medium length).
(25) Hadith Number 3.
Baraa bin Aazib R.A. reports: "Rasulullah (SAW) was of average hight, and the portion between the two shoulders was wide. His hair was till his ear lobes".
(26) Hadith Number 4.
Qataadah bin Da'aamah As-Sadusi relates: "I asked Anas R.A., 'How was the hair of Rasulullah (SAW)?'. He replied: 'It was not very twisted, nor very straight. It had a slight twist and was a bit
curled, and reached till his ear-lobes'".
(27) Hadith Number 5.
Umme Haani bint Abi Taalib R.A. says: "Rasulullah (SAW) came to Makkah once after the hijrah. His mubarak hair had four plaits".

(28) Hadith Number 6.
It is reported from Anas R.A. that the hair of Sayyidina Rasulullah (SAW) reached till the middle of the ears.
(29) Hadith Number 7.
Ibne Abbas R.A. says: "Rasulullah (SAW) used to leave his hair the way it naturally was, without making a path in the hair (parting hair). The reason being that the mushrikeen
(polytheists) used to make a path in their hair, and the Ahlul Kitaab (People of the Book) did not do so. In the early periods Rasulullah (SAW) preferred to follow the Ahlul Kitaab, rather
than others, in matters where no command had came from Allah. Later this was abrogated, and Rasulullah (SAW) began apposing the ways of the Ahlul Kitaab after this".
(30) Hadith Number 8.
Umme Haani R.A. reports: "I saw Rasulullah (SAW) with four side
locks (on his hair)".

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

On a lighter note...my hair don't grow to reach the earlobes...

Actually I should say "Anymore"..Old Age you know :)

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

It is no longer an issue for me either...With or without the Kuffee

Enjoy it while it lasts Brother

:) :) :)

SeekerofTruth

:salam2:
Thank you Globalpeace for the hadith.

Well I am now 39,so mine is thinning out aswell.I was just curious as to why most Muslims seem to have croped/short styles? When the above hadith mentions the prophet saying to glory in ones hair. I havent seen any Muslim men wear their hair to the ear lobes either.

Peace
Jerry

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
It is not really a requirement for men to wear a kuffe (Islamic hat). However, it was the practice of RasoolAllah (PBUH) to cover his head while in prayer. It is a sunnah as such, and should be worn.

I actually use to have a long hair with braids, but had to cut it else I would never get a job lol. Sometimes you have to become a chameleon and adjust to your environment.

SeekerofTruth

It is not really a requirement for men to wear a kuffe (Islamic hat). However, it was the practice of RasoolAllah (PBUH) to cover his head while in prayer. It is a sunnah as such, and should be worn.

Thanks! So as long as a Muslim man wears it during prayer then they are okay.

ansari

STRANGER...

i have some lol problem

im a student in grade 11 i live in DUBAI its an islamic country but my school allow indian sikhs to grow their hair. now i have started growing my beard and my pant is above the ankles and i also want to keep my hair like PROPHET (SAW)

if my school dont allow me to keep sunnah type hair! you guys tell me should i fight should i go to the ministry to get my right

JAZAKALLAH KHAIR

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
Brother,
there is one thing that I've learned in life, PICK YOUR BATTLES.
You are in the 11th grade. Accept the rules of your school for now. Inshallah, when you leave that place, you can wear your hair however you would like.

SeekerofTruth

Asslamo Allaiukum,

I seem to see the complete opposite in Midlands as lots of brothers have long hair.
Well actually most of the Muslims I have seen are from TV or Video and only one where I live,but he shaves the beard aswell and is a doctor.
:wasalam:

Jerry

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

I've seen many muslim brothers with hair up to or slightly past the ear lobes. I personally can't grow my hair like that as I would end up with an afro lol.
:SMILY61:

wasalam