halal or haram

aisha16

assalam allaikum

I wanted to ask a question about mono glycerides. Is it haram or halal. I was told that if it comes from a plant it's halal, but if it comes from an animal its haram. This ingredient was on my bread bag. The company name of the bread is Bohemian Hearth, Stoneground. The bag has two numbers,which I have called, but I wasn't able to get an answer. The bag also doesn't have a website. If I can get any answers i would be greatly thankful. Jazakallah hu khair

Ma saalam

visionusman

being content
I think the original plant vs animal theory u've presented is probably right. But the question is how do u know? A chemist might be able to help. I'll ask my sis. she's a biochemist.

Iaroslav

I belive the monoglycerides in bread are produced by the yeast (a fungus; neither plant nor animal, so that would complicate things) during the baking process. Yeast is added to bread to cause it to plump, and during this process, yeast consumes glucose, and releases monoglycerides as products. Originally, then, the glycerides do come from the wheat's glucose. Of course, It's been a while since I've studied biochemistry, so I may be completely wrong....