Have You Tried Ubuntu ME?

zedbj

Assalamualaykum...

I like to share, that I found a computer operating oystem alternative to Microsoft Windows. It is Ubuntu ME (Ubuntu Muslim Edition). It is one of many linux distributions. It is amazing bcoz the whole stuffs are free and it is tweaked specially to be more islamic. It is better than my Windows Vista Starter Edition. It has islamic desktop wallpaper, bismillah login sound, animated zekr cursor and few islamic software like prayer reminder, monajat & zekr. Islamic software is still limited, nevertheless it is a good start by our brothers in france. I am using Ubuntu ME now for 80% of my work now.:jazaak:

zedbj

Dear Bro..

I am sorry for not put up details of it. Two ways to get it:
1. Download ubuntu linux from www.ubuntu.com and then get Muslim Edition add-on from www.ubuntume.com. Installation instruction as in www.ubuntume.com
web page.
or

2.Get entire package from www.ubuntume.com

Do dual booting with windows XP or vista starter is preferable if you are still using windows for your work. I heard that there is problem doing dual booting in vista higher than vista starter.

:D

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

I've been usign Linux for soem years now and Ubuntu has been the best for me (2nd comes OpenSUSE). The ME from what I know, just changes some themes on the standard Ubuntu OS, removes some programs and installs its own additional ones to give it the "Islamic" edge. Alhamdulillaah its a good alternative to buying a Windows OS. Downfall is the complication that some people experience with it... Can be tackled by learning Linux!

Was-salaam.