Help: How to Pray

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Can anyone direct me to a resource or resources (a thread on this site or other web sites) that will give me basic yet complete information about how to pray?

I know the times when to pray, but I am unsure about everything else.

For example:

When does one begin the prostrations? Does one pray during the prostrations or after?

What exactly is prayed? Special prayers? Portions of the Qur'an? Both?

I should really get the courage to go to my local Islamic Center.

Pray for me please.

-Yusuf (Douglas)

salahdin

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Asalama aleikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu bro .There is a section here in turn to islam called step by step guide to the prayers.My ALLAH the Knower of the Invisible and the Visible make things easy for you bro amin.

OsMaN_93

Here to help
just like to add the following;
(i have been looking for this for sometime, i posted it before, and now again, ALHAMDULELAH)

here are very good reasons why Allah made it(prayer) 5 times a day, (Allah is the best knowing)

1. most importantly if you go to Allah 5x a day,you are less likely to be lead by your desires

2. peace of mind, by praying you will be able to relax and free your mind from the stresses of normal life.

3. hygein, if you clean yourself 5x a day no one will have an issue with your hygein,and you will always feel fresh.

4. Allah asks you to come to him at different times in a day,this allowes you to have structure in your life.(ie. you will be able to assaign tasks according to prayer times

5. Reciting Quran ,Allah asks you to read quran during prayer ,so you can practice saying his words .
Allah is very clever he designed salah to solve the biggest problems in our society,so he asked us to pray together.

6. Racism ~, Mohammad(pbuh) said when you pray do not leave gaps in between you,this is so you do not stand apart from people of other races,so if you are constantly meeting people of different races and colors you will have a chance to understand each other, and clarify the misconseptions

7. solving the problem of higher and lower classes,rich and poor are made to come together and sit on the same carpets ,come into contact with each other and perform the same acts of worshipping as each other.inside a small place where they are all considered the same.

8. Socializing ,the mosque is were you meet your friends and reletives on a regular basis and chat with other .and say salamz

9. the mosque can also be used as a common ground as a place where local people meet in order to discuss their issues and solve problems between each other

10. All these problems also are supported by going to hajj ,makkah,where Allah gets rid of race ,class where people are required to use the same taps ,sinks bathrooms,toilets,and also wear only 2 white pieces of cloth and perform the same action ,where is no one superior over anyone . so you are unable to point out if one is rich or poor
also you can meet your muslim brothers and sisters from all over the world and find out that you are all linked by worshipping the same God (swt)

etc.....etc.....etc......

khairulUmmam

:salam2:
im glad to came across this thread... i would like to suggest abt learning praying.. our prophet Muhammad s.a.w teaches his sahabah by showing how to pray.. " sollu kama u solli" (pray how i pray) or other words follow me.. its hard to teach thru reading.. so i suggest u go to mosque or any muslim fellow to learn.. my 2 cent of advise.. may Allah bless u